• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The once a year POWER CABLE discussion!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we have a once a year speaker cable thread? Or interconnects? Or other stupid stuff? :)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Or it could be the power cables!
It really could be... I mean when I use a normal extension cord with my Christmas tree lights they just don't seem to be as vibrant as when I use the $10000 cable. Colours pop more, subtle hues encapsulate the room more intuitively and the flash cycle seems more in tune with my spiritual harmony plus the time domain of the music I am listening to.

Happy cable hunting these holidays everyone, the truth is out there. :D

JSmith

Beave

Major Contributor
The once-a-year POWER CABLE discussion is only allowed on April 1. Please follow the rules. :)

OP
A

ADoIDo

Doesn't answer the question, how come none of you bought the ebay listing for the tried and true cure for demons in the audio equipment?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Doesn't answer the question, how come none of you bought the ebay listing for the tried and true cure for demons in the audio equipment?
Who wants to buy something called “Excorcist” for XMas. Do you want to jinx the new year? Hell no.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There's something slightly off between the sound of left to right. I'm not sure if it's because I'm leaned slightly to the right on my couch or if by the way my head is tilted, my right ear is slightly better aligned with the tweeter. Or it could be the power cables!

When you really want to know.... and this was a serious 'finding'

Put the speakers next to each other in front of you.
Play music in mono.
Compare the sound.
Then only swap the cables and repeat.

The main issue in the post is the assumption that mains cables can make an audible difference which goes against everything that is known about mains cables.
This means it is a perception thingy and to find out you need to level the playing field.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
If power cables don't make a difference, explain this!

1703315800394.png

See, they even have cable elevators!

5-things-large-haldron-collider-cern.jpg

Take that, objectivists!!!!!1111

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's something slightly off between the sound of left to right. I'm not sure if it's because I'm leaned slightly to the right on my couch or if by the way my head is tilted, my right ear is slightly better aligned with the tweeter. Or it could be the power cables!

Thoughts, idea, suggestions? I'm stuck in thought of how or why I went wrong.

Happy Holidays
Happy holidays!

I might be the grid-cable interactions. Due to the length change in the cables, one of them might be resonating with one of the synchronous generators at the power plant near your home, while the other one might be out of sync. Trying moving to another home and see if the difference is still there.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I almost forgot about that part, I haven't broken in the neumann power cable yet. Break in period is something like 127 hours at max volume?

You need to break in the nearest power plant too.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Oh my god, another year went by already? It just felt as if I had seen one, just the other day. Oh well, time flies, I guess.

delta76

Major Contributor
Do we have a once a year speaker cable thread? Or interconnects? Or other stupid stuff? :)
does not hurt actually. not definitely every day or even every month, but if we need to remind beginners that cables do not matter (in sound quality), we do it

DonR

Major Contributor
Just the thought of it makes my head spin.

DonR

Major Contributor
Happy holidays!

I might be the grid-cable interactions. Due to the length change in the cables, one of them might be resonating with one of the synchronous generators at the power plant near your home, while the other one might be out of sync. Trying moving to another home and see if the difference is still there.
It could also be a problem with mismatched power sockets, maybe some impurities in the metal contacts affecting the plankton. Ask Danny at GR for advice on that.

JiiPee

The reason for slight off-balance between the channels is obvious. New high-end power cables use transperambulation to optimize the flow of power. The problem You describe occurs, when the transperambulation process is not properly adjusted. Unfortunately, it can not be fixed by end users, so You have to return it to the place of purchase, and ask them to re-adjust it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
does not hurt actually. not definitely every day or even every month, but if we need to remind beginners that cables do not matter (in sound quality), we do it
That more a reflection of people not looking for an existing thread/subject first? :) I guess for the short attention span folk.....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What advancements have power cords gone through recently?

Well, many of them went from two to three conductors, sometime in the 1960's.

Earth was added to Hot and Neutral.

Top Bottom