• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Pro - TPA3255 PFFB | WiFi 6e | Bluetooth 5.3 vs WiiM Amp

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It says 10 band GEQ but what about the PEQ?

This is good enough for a Bose 901
1715584114682.png

And a WiiM Amp Pro + Bose 901 makes for a great lifestyle speaker / soundbar alternative in a smaller package than something like a Dirac enabled AVR (which also is able to correct to full range sufficiently).

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
It says 10 band GEQ but what about the PEQ?
Support for PEQ was added to mobile app, Wiim Home, (for all Wiim products) on May 13.

daniboun

Major Contributor
It looks more like an amp with a TPA3251 or TPA3255 chip with an underpowered PSU
I wonder why Wiim limited the PSU to 4A when the whole point of the TPA3255 is to have more power than the TPA3251....

1717081601256.png

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Major Contributor
It looks more like an amp with a TPA3251 or TPA3255 chip with an underpowered PSU
I wonder why Wiim limited the PSU to 4A when the whole point of the TPA3255 is to have more power than the TPA3251....

View attachment 372093
to keep performance (THD/Noise vs power) in check to its best?

Last edited:

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
This little amp looks very interesting with built in streaming, DAC, room correction and improved SINAD. Only think missing is an EQ.
The current Amp has both 10 band graphic EQ and 10 band parametric EQ*. Presumably the Amp Pro will also have the 10 band PEQ.

* - for PEQ it was originally 4 band but the 10 band "upgrade" has been in wide beta release for ~ 2 months.

daniboun

Major Contributor
to keep performance (THD/Noise vs power) in check to its best?

I don't think that's the reason. Generally speaking, the TPA3251 chip has a better THD+N figure. It would be interesting to understand why Wiim bet on the implementation of PFFB in the Pro version without improving the power.... It would be really interesting to know which PSU was used in the two versions and I am surprised to find no information regarding the voltage and power of that power supply.
It makes little sense to use a TPA3255 chip without taking advantage of its potential....

Tell

The current Amp has both 10 band graphic EQ and 10 band parametric EQ*. Presumably the Amp Pro will also have the 10 band PEQ.

* - for PEQ it was originally 4 band but the 10 band "upgrade" has been in wide beta release for ~ 2 months.
Is that 10 band per channel?

morillon

Major Contributor

the 10band peq has been in effect for a while... and waiting for a differentiated l/r version
(and would welcome an adaptive auto-gain)

it is likely that the relative power is due to heat dissipation precautions etc (?) (and cost (?))...and that it corresponded enough to the power expected for a "minisystem" like small denon yamaha onkyo etc, often associated with library loudspeakers etc, especially since there is a sub output...

(What is missing, in my opinion, is a small, modest phono stage mm (which I think would make much more sense than in the "future" ultra) and a pre-amp output..)

Last edited:

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Is that 10 band per channel?
Technically, yes. 10 bands, all of which apply to both channels, albeit under the constraint that each individual filter (currently) must have the same parameters on both L and R channels. The Wiim roadmap indicates an eventual removal of the constraint on same settings for L and R. Which shouldn't require any meaningful addition to memory or CPU cycles . . . . the computation/memory load on each filter is roughly the same regardless of the settings.

I suspect the initial implementation not having independent settings was ease-of-use driven. Consider how many receivers and pre-amps and integrated amps ever had their tone controls allow independent settings on L and R?

Top Bottom