• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Pro - TPA3255 PFFB | WiFi 6e | Bluetooth 5.3 vs WiiM Amp

It says 10 band GEQ but what about the PEQ?

This is good enough for a Bose 901
1715584114682.png

And a WiiM Amp Pro + Bose 901 makes for a great lifestyle speaker / soundbar alternative in a smaller package than something like a Dirac enabled AVR (which also is able to correct to full range sufficiently).

It says 10 band GEQ but what about the PEQ?
Support for PEQ was added to mobile app, Wiim Home, (for all Wiim products) on May 13.

It looks more like an amp with a TPA3251 or TPA3255 chip with an underpowered PSU
I wonder why Wiim limited the PSU to 4A when the whole point of the TPA3255 is to have more power than the TPA3251....

1717081601256.png

It looks more like an amp with a TPA3251 or TPA3255 chip with an underpowered PSU
I wonder why Wiim limited the PSU to 4A when the whole point of the TPA3255 is to have more power than the TPA3251....

View attachment 372093
to keep performance (THD/Noise vs power) in check to its best?

Last edited:
This little amp looks very interesting with built in streaming, DAC, room correction and improved SINAD. Only think missing is an EQ.
The current Amp has both 10 band graphic EQ and 10 band parametric EQ*. Presumably the Amp Pro will also have the 10 band PEQ.

* - for PEQ it was originally 4 band but the 10 band "upgrade" has been in wide beta release for ~ 2 months.

to keep performance (THD/Noise vs power) in check to its best?

I don't think that's the reason. Generally speaking, the TPA3251 chip has a better THD+N figure. It would be interesting to understand why Wiim bet on the implementation of PFFB in the Pro version without improving the power.... It would be really interesting to know which PSU was used in the two versions and I am surprised to find no information regarding the voltage and power of that power supply.
It makes little sense to use a TPA3255 chip without taking advantage of its potential....

The current Amp has both 10 band graphic EQ and 10 band parametric EQ*. Presumably the Amp Pro will also have the 10 band PEQ.

* - for PEQ it was originally 4 band but the 10 band "upgrade" has been in wide beta release for ~ 2 months.
Is that 10 band per channel?

the 10band peq has been in effect for a while... and waiting for a differentiated l/r version
(and would welcome an adaptive auto-gain)

it is likely that the relative power is due to heat dissipation precautions etc (?) (and cost (?))...and that it corresponded enough to the power expected for a "minisystem" like small denon yamaha onkyo etc, often associated with library loudspeakers etc, especially since there is a sub output...

(What is missing, in my opinion, is a small, modest phono stage mm (which I think would make much more sense than in the "future" ultra) and a pre-amp output..)

Last edited:
Is that 10 band per channel?
Technically, yes. 10 bands, all of which apply to both channels, albeit under the constraint that each individual filter (currently) must have the same parameters on both L and R channels. The Wiim roadmap indicates an eventual removal of the constraint on same settings for L and R. Which shouldn't require any meaningful addition to memory or CPU cycles . . . . the computation/memory load on each filter is roughly the same regardless of the settings.

I suspect the initial implementation not having independent settings was ease-of-use driven. Consider how many receivers and pre-amps and integrated amps ever had their tone controls allow independent settings on L and R?

So phone used for measuring, no mic included?

So phone used for measuring, no mic included?
Yep, Apple devices only, so far. But support for Android and for external mics has been promised for Q3, I think. No support for built-in mics on Android, which is more than fine with me.

All this applies not only to the WiiM Amp Pro, but also the upcoming WiiM Ultra, the current WiiM Amp, the WiiM Pro Plus and WiiM Pro streamers/DACs and partially even to the WiiM Mini.

to me this looks like they put what they learnt with the Ultra and slapped in a TPA3255 and cut some crap out to meet a price point

i also think you are losing too much over the Ultra... you're better off just getting and ultra and buying a cheap TPA3255 pffb amp and using that

also losing the screen makes it look a lot more cheap

AND they still havent fixed the lack of type-c usb in!

is it so hard to slap in an xu216???

To me it rather looks like they took the Amp, replaced the DAC and ADC and finally implemented PFFB, as originally intended. Period.

The Amp Pro appears to have the same case as the Amp, while the Ultra's case is bigger.

I don't understand why they are sacrificing power when with an external brick they could have achieved much more juice at a low cost, that is what wiim customers want (and this solution would have killed the market). Average customers will not understand the value of Pffb while audiophile customers are disappointed.
@WiiM Team any plan to have more power?

Last edited:
I don't understand why they are sacrificing power when with an external brick they could have achieved much more juice at a low cost, that is what wiim customers want (and this solution would have killed the market).
I'm not so sure you know Wiim's demographic better than they do. It may be what you want, or even what many ASR readers lean toward, but the market demographic is much more diverse than us. MANY people, myself included, value a no-brick solution. Its also a relatively novel feature versus their competitors . . . I haven't personally noticed any other TPA3255 amplifiers with integrated power supplies.

I'm not so sure you know Wiim's demographic better than they do. It may be what you want, or even what many ASR readers lean toward, but the market demographic is much more diverse than us. MANY people, myself included, value a no-brick solution. Its also a relatively novel feature versus their competitors . . . I haven't personally noticed any other TPA3255 amplifiers with integrated power supplies.
I'd expect that many/most audiophiles won't be buying these for their main systems either - that's certainly the case for me where the WiiM amp is being primarily used for AV with the (odd bit of streaming and occasional use of CD's) in a secondary system.

Back
Top Bottom