• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 279 58.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, listening tests, equalization and detailed measurements of the Tekton (Mini) M-Lore speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs $US 750 a pair.
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Review.jpg

As you see, this is a mini-tower speaker if there is such a thing. I had to put a 6 inch stand under it to get the tweeter to my ear height. There is nothing on the back side other than binding post. Not even a label.

Speaker was measured using Klippel Near-field Scanner. Tweeter center was used as acoustic reference (but see edit below).

EDIT: Company has post a formal response on his channel about my review:

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurements
Let's start with our usual anechoic measurements:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Andrew Robinson Frequency Response Measurement.png

Boy, that is a pretty chewed up response. It is not terrible at high level but there are a ton of variations across the full audible band. We also have directivity error due to high crossover point and mistmatch of sizes of tweeter/woofer without a waveguide for the former. Sensitivity is a couple of dBs higher than a bookshelf speaker but also that much lower than a typical tower speaker. It has a very uneven response.

Master EDIT On April 19th: I made an updated thread on the new measurements. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...kton-m-lore-speaker-measurement-update.53899/

-------------------------
EDIT: Company has stated that the reference axis is woofer, not the tweeter. I have explained that this makes little difference but he insists. Since Klippel NFS fully captures the sound field of the speaker, we can simply instruct it to assume a different reference point. I don't have exact measurements of the woofer center to tweeter distance so guessed about 5 inches [Now 6.5 inches per company]. If there is a difference, this should show it. This is the comparison of the two setups:
Measurement Setup Tweeter Axis.png

By default Klippel assigns the reference point same as tweeter axis. That is the 3-D plot on the left. On the right, you can see that I have moved up the reference point above tweeter (red point below). Here is the comparison of the two anechoic measurements:
Tekton Mini Lore Woofer vs Tweeter Axis Reference 6-5 inches Frequency Response Measurements.png

As predicted, there is essentially no difference. Tiny bit of change is expected around 3 to 5 kHz but that doesn't in any way change the overall picture of this speaker's response.

Please note that the company specifications claim "extremely linear" response:

index.php

Neither reference axis gets the speaker to have a linear (flat) response. As an aside, spec above says sensitivity is 95 dBSPL. Measured bass sensitivity is much lower at a peak of 88 dB. Rest of the response averages to more or less same value. Realizing that many companies exaggerate this number, I am not making a big deal out of it but we are way off from company's claimed specifications.

As of this date, April 11, 2024, despite promising otherwise, company has NOT provided any measurements of any kind for this speaker. I have repeatedly asked Eric Alexander, company founder and designer, both in emails and in this thread to do so but he has refused. Yet, he has demanded that I delete the review or he would litigate against me and ask for damages. Until such time that he proves with measurements that he has a case, this review will stand.

------------------------------

We can see the source of variations in near-field driver responses:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Andrew Robinson Near-field Frequency Response Measurement.png

Combine the rough on-axis response with poor directivity and the off-axis response becomes that much worse:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Andrew Robinson early window Frequency Response Measurement.png

Resulting in rather poor predicted in-room response:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Andrew Robinson predicted in-room Frequency Response Measu...png

Directivity as noted is poor:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Andrew Robinson Horizontal Beam Width Measurement.png

Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Andrew Robinson Horizontal directivity Measurement.png

Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Andrew Robinson Vertical directivity Measurement.png

The larger speaker and drivers do provide an advantage in power handling relative to a bookshelf speaker:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Distortion Relative THD Measurement.png

Careful in analyzing the absolute distortion levels due to frequency response variations:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Distortion THD Measurement.png

I ran a 10 dB set of sweeps to see if there is limiting and found one right at 105 dBSPL -- plenty good enough:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker SPL Limiting Measurement.png

Speaker did sound fairly distorted though at 105 dB (although not breaking up).

Impedance is rather high which is good as far as stress on the amplifier:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Andrew Robinson Impedance and phase Response Measurement.png

We see a couple of clear resonances and more of them in the waterfall graph:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker CSD waterfall Measurement.png

And the step response:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Andrew Robinson Step Response Measurement.png

Tekton M-Lore Listening Tests
I had measured the speaker a week ago so they were not fresh in my mind. It took all of 3 seconds to realize something is wrong with the response with sound seemingly coming out of a box. Took out the EQ and went after the boost around 600 to 700 Hz:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker SPL Equalization.png

That took out the boxiness but the sound was still not right. Filled in the notch in bass and boosted the gap in treble to balance that. Now the sound was more full but boomy so I put in my one correction for room mode I have around 105 Hz. With these in place, the sound was far more full and balanced. Male vocals sounded terrible without it.

Sub-bass response was decent. There was some distortion but it was trying to play it -- something most bookshelves can't do. I turned up the volume some and could not detect an immediate limit/break up.

All in all, the sound went from lousy to OK/good.

Conclusions
The objective failures of the Mini Lore are pretty obvious. While the speaker is a decade old (?), all of this was known then as well as now. The flaws directly translated to subjective listening tests presenting an unpleasant, boosted upper bass, lower treble. Equalization helped a lot but there are many more faults than my attempt there. The main positive here is the larger cabinet relative to a bookshelf speaker allowing higher dynamics and a bit more deep bass response. Otherwise, I can't see any redeeming characteristics. I don't know what reference Andrew Robinson had to say this about the speaker:
Tekton Design’s M-Lore Mini Speaker Andrew Robinson Review.png

Competition has little to worry about.

I can't recommend the Tekton M-Lore speaker.

EDIT: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lore-speaker-review.48732/page-9#post-1880220
A company representative has responded to the review in the thread and I am copying it here:

"What a disservice to the audiophile community. This reviewer does not possess all of the truth in the electro-acoustical universe concerning how loudspeakers should sound - nor do I. I've been blessed to have garnered 18 product of the year awards and it proves I know a thing or two about loudspeakers.

First, a loudspeaker can be designed from a viewpoint of rigid science [what this website looks to be all about] or it can be designed from a viewpoint of art and creativity. In my opinion, a great loudspeaker should have a beautiful balance of science and art. Think of what a mastering engineer could do to a song! A mastering engineer is both an artist and a scientist. Good loudspeaker design must be approached from an identical viewpoint; no different than a mastering engineer producing a track of music - I make the loudspeaker sound exactly how I want it to.

Second, to assume I cannot design and market a 'flat responding' loudspeaker is woefully shortsighted. If I wanted to produce a linear loudspeaker (as the reviewer has turned my design into) I would have done that; my simulator does this task in under 3 seconds. The facts are most audiophiles don't go for the frequency response and corrections the reviewer has suggested. The only linear loudspeaker models we offer are intended for professional studio engineering and they are tools for a toolbox. Changing crossover parts values to flatten the frequency response is a super simple task; my job is to get the speaker sounding right for an audiophile. The problem is most audiophiles don't go for 'scientific sound'; to my ears, it's analytical, sterile, forward in the midrange when turned up, and frankly not much excitement to be discerned. Shipping the Mini Lore with a MiniDSP and a preloaded file converting the Mini Lore into a scientific masterpiece is no more difficult than changing a few values on the crossover.

Anyone wanting an improved version of the Mini Lore pair as the scientific reviewer has suggested my model be changed into is free to call me and I will accommodate your request.

Tekton Design caters to the audiophile community and when two pairs of Mini Lore's were returned in 2023 we must be doing something right with the design.

Respectfully, Eric Alexander - audio designer and owner of Tekton Design, LLC"

Published Manufacturers Specifications:
  • Perfect impulse time-alignment
  • 8″ woofer
  • 1″ silk soft dome tweeter
  • 8 Ohm impedance
  • Frequency Response 38Hz-20kHz
  • 95dB 1W@1m
  • 200 Watts power handling
  • Height 34″ (86.36 cm) x Width 9.125″ (23.17 cm) x Depth 10″ (25.4 cm)
  • Weight 35 lbs.
  • Manufactured in the USA

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome. Click here if you have some audio gear you want me to test.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Tekton M-Lore.zip
    61.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm for reviewing another tower.

I generated 2 EQs: the first one optimise for a flat listening window and the second one optimise for a higher score.
EQs are using PK (Peak) only and are limited to +/-6 dB.

Score is 3.5 and would be 5.7 with a perfect subwoofer.
With EQ Flat: score is 5.1 and resp. 7.0 with a perfect subwoofer.
With EQ Score: score is 6.0 and resp. 7.6 with a perfect subwoofer.

First set of graphs show nice improvement on all curves.
filters_eq.jpg

Here are the graphs when you optimise for improving the score.

filters_eq.jpg

Go to spinorama.org do get more graphs, eqs etc

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Interesting, given the limitations of a design with the chosen drivers and config, this is pretty good. Could have been much worse. Just not a great idea, but not fully terrible in my view.
I will say I have always thought Tekton had an interesting catalog. A real Muppet show. That is both good and bad of course.
I have a set of Tekton Impact Monitors. Those sound pretty good & measure very well with my limited test equipment.
Someday maybe up on the Kipple.

Anyway great test, thanks again.

moonlight rainbow dream

That is a way more linear-trending axial response than I was expecting from the brand's image. Sorta curious to see their higher end offerings measured now. The raggedness in the FR is to be expected from a run-of-the-mill PA-type driver and it seems that the increase in dynamics/max output over a hifi driver wasn't worth it in this case.

The tweeter looks like the Peerless BC25 used in the Dennis Murphy AAM. Surprised they weren't able to eke out more sensitivity from this combination.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting, given the limitations of a design with the chosen drivers and config, this is pretty good. Could have been much worse. Just not a great idea, but not fully terrible in my view.
I will say I have always thought Tekton had an interesting catalog. A real Muppet show. That is both good and bad of course.
I have a set of Tekton Impact Monitors. Those sound pretty good & measure very well with my limited test equipment.
Someday maybe up on the Kipple.

Anyway great test, thanks again.
Send them for measurements and we will see how they subjective and objective measurements correlate.

Lopsided

Forum Donor
Amir, you can consider running the SPL limiting test normalized to sensitivity at 2.83V, or from a lower figure like 86 db and in wider increments, will greatly help visibility.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, you can consider running the SPL limiting test normalized to sensitivity at 2.83V, or from a lower figure like 86 db and in wider increments, will greatly help visibility.
Why? There is no limiting until 105 dBSPL. And larger steps would make it harder to determine the limiting point.

Lopsided

Forum Donor
Why? There is no limiting until 105 dBSPL. And larger steps would make it harder to determine the limiting point.
It’s a fair point, makes sense to start at 95 dB. But maybe plot it in a normalized fashion will help us determine at which point and how much limiting is in action.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree and gave it a "non-terrible" rating as its distortion and especially vertical directivity are quite decent for the price and a loudspeaker of that configuration and size without a significant waveguide so with some equalisation it can be partially improved significantly as confirmed above also from Amir and Pierre.

Serg

In a speaker with mid over tweeter arrangement, the design axis is usually the midwoofer or even above that. It is a strategy to physically time align the midwoofer and tweeter.
I thought this as well. I wonder if there's mention of this in the speaker's literature?

Maiky76

This is a review, listening tests, equalization and detailed measurements of the Tekton (Mini) M-Lore speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs $US 750 a pair.
View attachment 319407
As you see, this is a mini-tower speaker if there is such a thing. I had to put a 6 inch stand under it to get the tweeter to my ear height. There is nothing on the back side other than binding post. Not even a label.

Speaker was measured using Klippel Near-field Scanner. Tweeter center was used as acoustic reference.

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurements
Let's start with our usual anechoic measurements:
View attachment 319409
Boy, that is a pretty chewed up response. It is not terrible at high level but there are a ton of variations across the full audible band. We also have directivity error due to high crossover point and mistmatch of sizes of tweeter/woofer without a waveguide for the former. Sensitivity is a couple of dBs higher than a bookshelf speaker but also that much lower than a typical tower speaker.

We can see the source of variations in near-field driver responses:
View attachment 319410

Combine the rough on-axis response with poor directivity and the off-axis response becomes that much worse:
View attachment 319411

Resulting in rather poor predicted in-room response:
View attachment 319412

Directivity as noted is poor:
View attachment 319413
View attachment 319414

View attachment 319415

The larger speaker and drivers do provide an advantage in power handling relative to a bookshelf speaker:
View attachment 319416

Careful in analyzing the absolute distortion levels due to frequency response variations:
View attachment 319417

I ran a 10 dB set of sweeps to see if there is limiting and found one right at 105 dBSPL -- plenty good enough:
View attachment 319418

Speaker did sound fairly distorted though at 105 dB (although not breaking up).

Impedance is rather high which is good as far as stress on the amplifier:
View attachment 319419
We see a couple of clear resonances and more of them in the waterfall graph:
View attachment 319421

And the step response:
View attachment 319420

Tekton M-Lore Listening Tests
I had measured the speaker a week ago so they were not fresh in my mind. It took all of 3 seconds to realize something is wrong with the response with sound seemingly coming out of a box. Took out the EQ and went after the boost around 600 to 700 Hz:
View attachment 319422
That took out the boxiness but the sound was still not right. Filled in the notch in bass and boosted the gap in treble to balance that. Now the sound was more full but boomy so I put in my one correction for room mode I have around 105 Hz. With these in place, the sound was far more full and balanced. Male vocals sounded terrible without it.

Sub-bass response was decent. There was some distortion but it was trying to play it -- something most bookshelves can't do. I turned up the volume some and could not detect an immediate limit/break up.

All in all, the sound went from lousy to OK/good.

Conclusions
The objective failures of the Mini Lore are pretty obvious. While the speaker is a decade old (?), all of this was known then as well as now. The flaws directly translated to subjective listening tests presenting an unpleasant, boosted upper bass, lower treble. Equalization helped a lot but there are many more faults than my attempt there. The main positive here is the larger cabinet relative to a bookshelf speaker allowing higher dynamics and a bit more deep bass response. Otherwise, I can't see any redeeming characteristics. I don't know what reference Andrew Robinson had to say this about the speaker:
View attachment 319408

Competition has little to worry about.

I can't recommend the Tekton M-Lore speaker.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome. Click here if you have some audio gear you want me to test.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Here is my take on the EQ.

Please report your findings, positive or negative!
The following EQs are “anechoic” EQs to get the speaker right before room integration. If you able to implement these EQs you must add EQ at LF for room integration, that is usually not optional… see hints there: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...helf-speaker-review.11144/page-26#post-800725

The raw data with corrected ER and PIR:

Score no EQ: 3.5
With Sub: 5.7

Spinorama with no EQ:
  • Not Flat
  • Lots of resonances
  • Take too many EQ points to yield decent results
  • Poor directivity
Tekton M-Lore No EQ Spinorama.png

Directivity:

Better stay at tweeter height
Horizontally, better toe-in the speakers by 10/20deg and have the axis crossing in front of the listening location, might help dosing the upper range.
Tekton M-Lore 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png

EQ design:

I have generated two EQs. The APO config files are attached.

• The first one, labelled, LW is targeted at making the LW flat
  • The second, labelled Score, starts with the first one and adds the score as an optimization variable.
  • The EQs are designed in the context of regular stereo use i.e. domestic environment, no warranty is provided for a near field use in a studio environment although the LW might be better suited for this purpose.
Score EQ LW: 5.6
with sub: 7.6

Score EQ Score: 6.2
with sub: 8.1

Code:
Tekton M-Lore APO EQ LW 96000Hz
October172023-142641

Preamp: -4 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 39.00,    0.00,    1.25
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 91.70,    -1.58,    1.83
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 178.88,    2.60,    4.98
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 724.01,    -5.25,    2.13
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 939.43,    3.96,    1.87
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1215.17,    -3.10,    1.80
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2186.69,    -3.45,    2.55
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 3377.41,    -3.09,    4.94
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 3479.43,    4.33,    0.71
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 7618.25,    -1.99,    2.12
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 18858.61,    3.85,    1.79

Tekton M-Lore APO EQ Score 96000Hz
October172023-142641

Preamp: -3.9 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 39.00,    0.00,    1.25
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 103.27,    -1.02,    1.62
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 179.88,    2.36,    4.98
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 731.01,    -5.25,    1.84
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 955.93,    4.66,    2.19
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1146.29,    -3.14,    2.42
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2256.44,    -3.45,    2.55
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 3421.96,    -4.19,    5.00
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 3479.43,    4.84,    1.25
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 7815.71,    -2.37,    1.83
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 18856.61,    3.89,    3.14
Tekton M-Lore EQ Design.png

Spinorama EQ LW
Tekton M-Lore LW EQ Spinorama.png

Spinorama EQ Score
Tekton M-Lore Score EQ Spinorama.png

Zoom PIR-LW-ON
Tekton M-Lore Zoom.png

Regression - Tonal
Tekton M-Lore Regression.png

Radar no EQ vs EQ score
Nice improvements
Tekton M-Lore Radar.png

The rest of the plots is attached.

Attachments

• Tekton M-Lore Raw Directivity data.png
    Tekton M-Lore Raw Directivity data.png
    484.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Tekton M-Lore APO EQ Score 96000Hz.txt
    573 bytes · Views: 39
  • Tekton M-Lore APO EQ LW 96000Hz.txt
    567 bytes · Views: 38
  • Tekton M-Lore 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    Tekton M-Lore 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    266.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Tekton M-Lore 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    Tekton M-Lore 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    446.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Tekton M-Lore 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    Tekton M-Lore 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    470.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Tekton M-Lore Normalized Directivity data.png
    Tekton M-Lore Normalized Directivity data.png
    316 KB · Views: 57
  • Tekton M-Lore LW data.png
    Tekton M-Lore LW data.png
    152.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Tekton M-Lore Reflexion data.png
    Tekton M-Lore Reflexion data.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 54

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Not terrible in my opinion, based on just the measurements. I've seen worse for sure. Still not worth getting it, but at least its not broken.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for the test Amir.:)

I say as others noted, considering the construction and the drivers used, not terrible. It breathes classic design, i.e. an 8 inch bass with paper as material in the cone plus a tweeter.

Considering you said this Amir :
"We also have directivity error due to high crossover point and mismatch of sizes of tweeter/woofer without a waveguide for the former." ....so I put in an example of a two-way speaker with an 8 inch paper cone bass driver with wavegudidade tweeters.FR looks better for that Momo speaker::)
klang-amp-ton-momo_856224.png

https://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/momo.htm

Edit
Momo has a low crossover point, 1.8 KHz, which is also different from Tekton M-Lore, so also for that reason it is not really possible to compare them both, I must add.:)

Last edited:

TabCam

If we only look at FR and directionality it seems not that good. That is always a pity with reducing all the measurements to a single number, it doesn't tell the whole story by far. The Spinorama is missing distortion and that is quite a pity.

If we also look at distortion I think the Tekton M-Lore mini has also redeeming qualities. It is quite an EQ-able design compared to other speakers. I also think that for distortion, human sensitivity should be taken into account.

I also like the German way of rating speakers going towards 1 when quite perfect and higher when there are problems. You could multiply all aspects and the closest to one is the best and that will remain so even if better techniques are found.

DanielT

Major Contributor
In terms of appearance, at least it seems to be correct.Could be the bass driver in the Tekton M-Lore:

"Tekton use the Eminence Alpha 8A..."

9018_1.jpg

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With normalization to a base sound pressure level (e.g. 80dB), it is possible to perceive much more compression artifacts than is possible by only looking at the measured FR.

Here is a small example. Scanned from your measurement the 96dB and 105dB frequency response measurements.
The following plots are:

FR like you showed
1697534589490.png

FR normalized to 96dB, scaling +-10dB
1697534639991.png

FR normalized to 96dB and the 105dB FR leveled -9dB, scaling +-10dB
1697534659087.png

Already in the second diagram you can see that there are clearly more frequency ranges with compression effects than just the upper high frequency range.
This becomes even clearer in the third diagram were the FR is leveled -9dB to the base SPL.

If you had started with a low base sound pressure level (e.g. 80dB or lower), the difference would most likely be more pronounced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom