• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Changelog:
2023-12-28: 298 manufacturers (unique), 2150 models (all, non-unique), 1927 models (unique), 462 models with CEA-2010-A data (all, non-unique) PLUS 10 models with CTA-2010-B data (all, non-unique)
- Added lots of subwoofers from Brent Butterworth's spreadsheet. Seeing how one of the subs was released on 2023-02-16 (the ELAC PS350), Brent must have added this data to the spreadsheet sometime after this release. Thanks to beaRA, who caught this change and brought it to my attention. My last added CEA-2010-A data from Brent's spreasheet was on 2022-07-22. I'll try to check more often. I assumed he retired, since I haven't seen any data posted on his spreadsheet in a while. I guess he's back.
Andover Audio SpinSub
Bestisan SW65D
Definitive Technology Descendo DN10
ELAC Varro PS350
JBL L10cs
Monoprice SW-12
Monoprice SW-15
Polk PSW10
Rogersound Speedwoofer 12
Rythmik LV12 (high mode)
Rythmik LV12 (low HT mode)
Rythmik LV12 (low music mode)
Sonos Sub Mini
Sony SAC-S9
SVS PB-2000 Pro (ports open)
SVS PB-2000 Pro (ports plugged)

Overall, glad to see Brent is back at measuring again. :cool:

So now we have 4 sources with recent data:
- Brent Butterworth, Erin (from ErinsAudioCorner), and Audioholics for CEA-2010-A data.
- Nuyes for CTA-2010-B data.

Love it!
giphy.gif

Last edited:
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Changelog:
2023-12-29: 298 manufacturers (unique), 2200 models (all, non-unique), 1978 models (unique), 462 models with CEA-2010-A data (all, non-unique) PLUS 11 models with CTA-2010-B data (all, non-unique)
- Added CTA-2010-B data reference for Ascendo subwoofers. Open vendor website, click on each sub, scroll down until you see CEA-2010-B data. But data is presented in a graph, not via a table. I don't have time to digitize and extract the data, so I'm just referencing it.
- Since adding the 'announce date' column a few days ago, I've already added 204 dates and links for non-discontinued subs. Which is about 17% of all non-discontinued subs.
- A lot of data cleanup. I'm surprised by how often the little guys (I mean the manufacturers who aren't as popular) stop selling subs. 45% of my spreadsheet is now discontinued models, which grew a lot this year

sonitus mirus

James Larson just posted results for the Monoprice SW-15:

Wow! I am contemplating the implementation of a tri-subwoofer arrangement for my audio system, which would include two compact, sealed subwoofers placed near the floor speakers, complemented by a larger subwoofer strategically positioned in a corner. This approach appears to be an efficient solution for the corner subwoofer, potentially offering satisfactory performance while allowing for budget optimization in the selection of the other two subwoofers. In my current setup, the sole subwoofer employs a low pass filter set at 75 Hz with a 12 dB per octave slope, a configuration that aligns well with the documented performance specifications of the SW-15 model. Given its cost-effectiveness, the SW-15 presents an intriguing option worth experimenting with and evaluating in this proposed setup.

3125b

Major Contributor
That's a lot of output for $300, I wouldn't be surprised if pricing this out in DIY components cost more.
Great for PA, for hi-fi I'd still get something else.

Interesting too that they would have high level inputs on their cheap product line. I guess it makes sense for people who use this with an old amp.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Changelog:
2023-12-30: 298 manufacturers (unique), 2220 models (all, non-unique), 1995 models (unique), 463 models with CEA-2010-A data (all, non-unique), 1100 discontinued (all, non-unique) PLUS 11 models with CTA-2010-B data (all, non-unique)
- Added Monolith SW-15 (data provided by Audioholics)

Last edited:

Arianoxx

Hi, has anybody tested (or at least listened) to the Yamaha ns-sw300? I've founded it in Italy used for €250 (here seems to be impossible finding any subwoofer at a decent price). Otherwise, Svs here sell the sb1000 for €500, but honestly is pretty out of budget atm.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Current data for Yamaha subs isn't very convincing...

1704275334939.png

Even their 12" model doesn't do very well.

You're better off saving for SVS sub, IMO.

In Canada, SB-1000 Pro is CDN$1000, which is about EUR 685 equivalent.
So it's still cheaper for you than to buy it here in Canada.

nvidia_7

KEF 10B vs Monoprice SW-15? Used for music with LSX ii's. Or another option? Keeping it under $800 USD.

nvidia_7

A 10” sub vs a 15” sub.

Let me think…:p

That’s like comparing a Honda to a Ferrari.

:D I am still not understanding the whole price/performance. The last time I was looking for a sub everyone seemed to think SVS for home theater, and REL for music. The Kef KUBE 10B is 2x the price of the SW-15 and its hard for me to get over "more money = better" mentality.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:D I am still not understanding the whole price/performance. The last time I was looking for a sub everyone seemed to think SVS for home theater, and REL for music. The Kef KUBE 10B is 2x the price of the SW-15 and its hard for me to get over "more money = better" mentality.
Welcome to ASR!

Subwoofers are about how loud (SPL), Low ( frequency in the bass) and clean (Distortion) . These are measurable and people have performed standardized measurements , many of these are nicely compiled in @sweetchaos Subwoofer comparison. Properly integrated with the mains, the MonoPrice SW-15 shall "wipe the floor" with the Kef Cube in everything that matters in term of sound reproduction. As for looks .. well... a subjective debate with no clear metrics... in my book the Kef cube is nicer looking ... In my darkened-painted-almost-black room. I don't, nor wouldn't care...
As for REL, please do not make the mistake of ever buying anything they make and that in for any Audio systems: Music or HT. REL products are poor performers. And they cost so much more...

Stay here, ask questions, open threads if you will. People here will guide you.

Happy New Year!

Peace.

Last edited:
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
:D I am still not understanding the whole price/performance.
Neither did I, once. o_O

That’s why I created this spreadsheet in the first place. ;)

Comparing subs with each other was a painful process prior to my involvement into solving this problem.

Just like Amir showed us that PRICE =/= PERFORMANCE in electronics or speakers or headphones, my spreadsheet showed you the same equivalent in subwoofers.

By evaluating over 2000+ subs at once, we can start to make some meaningful conclusions, such as
- Which subs are the most bang for the buck?
- Which subs the best performers regardless of price?
- Which subs are the best performers for their footprint or volume?
- Which subs are available in your local country, and therefore you can save $ on transportation/importation costs?

And most importantly...
- Which subs are the worst performers, with a decent price/performance ratio, but simply aren't innovative enough to win against their competition?
- Which subs are the worst performers with a terrible price/performance ratio, and are completely overcharging customers for something that can be bought at a fraction of a price elsewhere?

With my spreadsheet, there's no ambiguity in understanding price/performance.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Changelog:
2024-01-03: 298 manufacturers (unique), 2220 models (all, non-unique), 1995 models (unique), 464 models with CEA-2010-A data (all, non-unique), 1100 discontinued (all, non-unique) PLUS 11 models with CTA-2010-B data (all, non-unique)
-Added color to "price" columns, to match color of "dimensions/weights" columns (red for USD, CAD) (blue for EUR, GBP)
-Added CEA-2010-A data for RTJ Audio 18Sub (from Audioholics)

The most interesting thing is that this comparison of similar sealed 18 subs:

1704324090186.png

JTR Speakers = RTJ Audio
Spelled backwards...
Same owner, but different customer segments I believe.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.

So the JTR Captivator RS1 (at US$3,300) performs just as good this this new RTJ Audio 18Sub (at US$7,000).
Their volume and footprint looks very similar.

I don't see much value in this RTJ Audio 18Sub, honestly.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just get dual JTR Speakers Captivator RS1's and you'll see have plenty of beer money left over, vs a single RTJ Audio 18Sub.

EDIT:
I see holes on top of RTJ Audio 18Sub, which means it's meant to be stacked with their speakers...but you're paying over 2x for these holes? Really?

Photos:
JTR Speakers Captivator RS1:
_M1B3083.jpg

RTJ Audio 18Sub:
_M1B9112.jpg

Last edited:

nvidia_7

Neither did I, once. o_O

That’s why I created this spreadsheet in the first place. ;)

Comparing subs with each other was a painful process prior to my involvement into solving this problem.

Just like Amir showed us that PRICE =/= PERFORMANCE in electronics or speakers or headphones, my spreadsheet showed you the same equivalent in subwoofers.

By evaluating over 2000+ subs at once, we can start to make some meaningful conclusions, such as
- Which subs are the most bang for the buck?
- Which subs the best performers regardless of price?
- Which subs are the best performers for their footprint or volume?
- Which subs are available in your local country, and therefore you can save $ on transportation/importation costs?

And most importantly...
- Which subs are the worst performers, with a decent price/performance ratio, but simply aren't innovative enough to win against their competition?
- Which subs are the worst performers with a terrible price/performance ratio, and are completely overcharging customers for something that can be bought at a fraction of a price elsewhere?

With my spreadsheet, there's no ambiguity in understanding price/performance.

What initially brought me here was Amir's DAC and AMP reviews showing incredible SINAD's and other metrics in equipment that cost 1/10th of the big names. It seems a lot has changed from what I knew. I also went down the rabbit hole of AVR reviews on this forum and to put it lightly im shocked at how poor home theater AVR's perform, even those costing $7k+. I guess its just a matter of time before SMSL and Fosi release surround sound processors, that is, if they can get the licensing.

Back to subwoofers, I got a KEF KUBE 10b today and set it up with my LSX ii's and im just blown away that for under $1500 I can have sound like this, while also having such a simple setup. Now I want to get the SW-15 and compare it to this KEF, possibly even the Kali 6.2 as well.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If your method of integration is just connecting to the LSX II sub out, you may end up with better results from the Kef sub. Without the ability to measure, set PEQs, and delay for a subwoofer you likely won't get a very good integration. And if I had to guess, Kef has set up their defaults so that they work best with Kef subs that are likely to be paired with the speakers.

Plus more powerful subs are more prone to sticking out like a sore thumb if the integration isn't good. Which is why people like small subs with poor low end like REL's on average.

SoundsGood2Me

Forum Donor
Took out ZOD Audio.
This data was taken from data-bass.com.
1. There's no website, so it's discontinued now? I don't know the full story of this.
2. It's also DIY, so it doesn't belong.

This changes the top-ranked subs to be:
G'Day SweetChaos! Hey I just wanted to say thanks for this cheat sheet - this info is EXACTLY what I came here for, and I was worried it wouldn't be readily available and I'd be wading for days. Think I'm gonna bite the bullet on a captivator even though my room is only 12' x 20'. Can always turn it down, but I can't get that 10hz any other apparent way! Appreciate it!

Arianoxx

Hi, has anybody tested (or at least listened) to the Yamaha ns-sw300? I've founded it in Italy used for €250 (here seems to be impossible finding any subwoofer at a decent price). Otherwise, Svs here sell the sb1000 for €500, but honestly is pretty out of budget atm.
After some more thinking, I've decided that I have to spend less than €300. So firstly, I’ve asked my friend if I could try his subwoofer (an old Yamaha YST SW-90 that is an 8” with 100w), and the difference is already more than noticeable compared to the dbr62 alone. So I’ve searched for some more used products and checked if any other sub reviewed on the list are available where I live. My findings are a B&W Asw610 (used at a little less than €300), Polk psw10 (new at €230) and again, the Yamaha NS-Sw300 (used at €240). If you had to choose just between these, which one would you get?

Top Bottom