• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico S3 NFS Spinorama and comparison to Revel F228Be

MarkS

Major Contributor
I had the opportunity to listen to their setup in München a few days ago. It was the S3 + the S-Sub MK II, I think.

It was far from the worst sounding room and far from the most expensive.

Now there's something for Magico's marketing materials: "It was far from the worst sounding"!

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Now there's something for Magico's marketing materials: "It was far from the worst sounding"!

Haha, works for me, we Australians go for understatement.

MrOtto

"2-way and a sub, that's not a concept we support. Too big of a bridge to cover properly. Fullrange and sub, yes, by all means."

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Epic.

My dad was a German solider in WW2. He shot down a P-51 that had strafed his regiment in Normandy commanding a flak in a suicidal way (which he clearly survived, even though he admitted he was entirely intending to die in that battle-lust moment). He lovingly built P-51 models for the rest of his life, I have vivid memories of assisting him - those were quality time moments between dad and son. It got him the Iron Cross first class, which he exchanged for 2 or 3 potatoes with a GI while on the POW boat to Canada. He never moved back to Germany after WW2.

Our P-51 models did win a prize or two in those model competitions. I don't know why but typing this made me shed a tear. Those guys were something else. He did meet the P-51 pilot (he did bail out and was fine, even though lost a foot - my dad lost an eye) after WW2 and they became life-long friends. RIP, guys. In a twist of fate, they died within 48 hours of each other.
Wow, what a story.
How did they find each other?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
comparison between a Magico A5 and Revel F228Be
Jeez, only like a $15,000 premium on the Magico to the Revels. Better be superior. I wonder why they didn't compare the 328 (which is still cheaper)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Jeez, only like a $15,000 premium on the Magico to the Revels. Better be superior. I wonder why they didn't compare the 328 (which is still cheaper)
Since there are small measurable differences between all speakers, no matter the cost, I believe we've entered well past the point of diminishing returns. Unless you have a really large room and/or desire high playback SPL's, it can be very hard to justify the cost of many speakers once you get past something like a $1000 or so a piece level.
JMHO

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, what a story.
How did they find each other?
Something made me look this up again, and I thought I had answered the question, but didn't. German military was known to document stuff extremely thoroughly, especially when awarding high-ish decorations to lower ranks. My dad got the iron cross first class for that action. Cost him 2 or more extra years in prisoner camp (I think he wasn't released until the end of 1948) and he had traded the decoration for food and some cigarettes right away anyhow. The Mustang pilot (I know I have his name somewhere, because his daughter wrote a letter to my Dad to announce he had passed - pretty much at the same time) however sought him out based on that after the war, he was stationed in Europe. They met in the 1970s in the Normandy after having written notes to each other a few times.
My dad refused to move back to Germany after the war, other than to visit his mom a few times.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fascinating story!

Justdafactsmaam

Wish all audiophiles would have experienced at least once a good multichannel setup, then they would know what they are missing. By the way due to current space limitations I also just have stereo systems but I also know what I would do if I had the choice.
Where can we experience a *good* multichannel setup? Honest question. So far all of my experiences with Dolby Atmos setups (including a half million dollar Focal system) have been less than convincing. Way less. Is there any place in Las Vegas or Los Angeles where one can audition state of the art multichannel?

Anton D

Something made me look this up again, and I thought I had answered the question, but didn't. German military was known to document stuff extremely thoroughly, especially when awarding high-ish decorations to lower ranks. My dad got the iron cross first class for that action. Cost him 2 or more extra years in prisoner camp (I think he wasn't released until the end of 1948) and he had traded the decoration for food and some cigarettes right away anyhow. The Mustang pilot (I know I have his name somewhere, because his daughter wrote a letter to my Dad to announce he had passed - pretty much at the same time) however sought him out based on that after the war, he was stationed in Europe. They met in the 1970s in the Normandy after having written notes to each other a few times.
My dad refused to move back to Germany after the war, other than to visit his mom a few times.
I really want to thank you for posting your story.

Those times are unimaginable, to me. The humanity that emerged for your dad and that pilot are reassuring.

I still can't believe the ceasefire of Christmas, 1914 happened, and the war was allowed to continue.

We see so many 'reunions' of previous combatants who shed their opposition to become close - a fantastic thing.

Thank you again.

Top Bottom