• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How are you planning to do bass management? How are you planning to incorporate the subs into your current system?

I know there's different views on this, but my own is that truly proper bass management involves the use of a high pass filter (HPF). (The reasons why would be the subject of a new thread, and I won't go into it here.)

If you have a device (AVR, external crossover, etc.) that will be handling the bass management duties, then you are starting with the widest possible choice of subwoofer. You're also most likely in a multichannel situation.

If you have no such device and are planning on relying on the subwoofer to do proper bass management, then you are most likely in a two-channel situation and are looking for one of two features: a low-level (line-level) set of pass-through circuits with HPF; or a high-level (speaker-level) set of pass-through circuits with HPF. There are more subs on the market with the former, than there are of the latter. In either case, with two subs, you have the option of going with "stereo" subs where one handles the left channel and the other handles the right.

However, while everyone can implement a sub with high-level pass-through (amp speaker outs to sub ins and then from sub outs to speakers), in order to implement a sub with low-level pass-through you need to be able to insert the sub between the preamp and power amp. With separates (preamp and power amp) that's not a problem. With a stereo receiver (or integrated amp) you need to have a jumpered PRE OUT / MAIN IN feature, and unfortunately that's not particularly common.

While many of today's devices (like integrated amps) have line-level outputs labelled SUB OUT, unfortunately when you dig into their owner's manual you will find that pretty much none of them to proper bass management (ie. they have no HPF.)

If, philosophically, you fall into the "a HPF is never needed" camp then almost everything I've said above is irrelevant to you and can be ignored. But if you think like I do, then what I've said above should help you to end up with the best possible sounding subwoofer-based system - at whatever budget level you choose.

Jeff
Let alone that Rel subs generally are poor value for performance (and I don't like their aesthetics so no grace there). Bass management tools are important, not just stupid old 2ch ideology.

howard416

Does anybody have any info on generally how good the built-in crossovers are on subs? Do they add any significant distortion to the high-passed speaker/monitor line level output?

And also, does anyone know if the LSR310S uses a 2nd order electrical crossover, or a 4th order?

Last edited:
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

KEF ANNOUNCES NEW ADDITIONS TO SUBWOOFER LINEUP: KC92 AND KUBE MIE​

Can pre-order them now, by logging into Kef.com. Official launch on February 27th.

The KC92 will retail for $1,999.99 and the Kube MIE Series Subwoofers are priced as follows: Kube 15 MIE $1399.99; Kube 12 MIE $999.99; Kube 10 MIE $799.99, Kube 8 MIE $599.99.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Mistake was caught by one ASR member.

I've made a data entry error when adding Erin's sub to my spreadsheet.

Previously wrong:
1708500214301.png

Fixed now:
1708500197656.png

Krit

KRK s8.4 is a good subwoofer for it's price ? I'm thinking to get one for my monitors. It costs only 279€ new or should i get something better for my SM200.....

Also do i need all four balanced cables between audio interface, subwoofer and monitors to be the same length ?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KRK s8.4 is a good subwoofer for it's price ? I'm thinking to get one for my monitors. It costs only 279€ new or should i get something better for my SM200.....

Also do i need all four balanced cables between audio interface, subwoofer and monitors be the same length ?
Might depend how you define subwoofer, that is more to me a bass module than a true sub....depends what your lower frequency (extension) goals are, but that one doesn't go very low. Not familiar with the SM200s, are they these ? They refer to have a matching sub altho I didn't see it...

No, the cabling does not need to be of equal length.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Changelog:
2024-02-22: 299 manufacturers (unique), 2224 models (all, non-unique), 1996 models (unique), 467 models with CEA-2010-A data (all, non-unique), 1101 discontinued (all, non-unique) PLUS 11 models with CTA-2010-B data (all, non-unique)
- Added Erins Audio Corner's data for RSL Speedwoofer 12s, Arendal 1961 1S, Arendal 1961 1V

ObscuredByClouds

HSU just announced an interesting new flagship, VTF-TN1

tknx

HSU just announced an interesting new flagship, VTF-TN1

Can someone who is good at reading charts tell me how this would compare to a Monolith 16? I currently have a single SVS SB13 and am thinking about moving to dual subwoofers..

3125b

Major Contributor
Well there's a 9dB offset because one was measured at 1m vs. 2m for the other. Corrected for that:

FrequencyHSU (all ports open) (SPL @2m)Monoprice (all ports open) (SPL @2m)
20Hz108.3113.4
31.5Hz116.2120.1
50Hz117121.5
80Hz118.7121.8

The Monoprice unsurprisingly is able to produce higher SPL. It has a bigger driver, much more powerful amp and a bigger enclosure.
At higher frequencies your SB13 can keep up with the HSU, at lower frequencies it can't. How much of a difference that would actually make depends largely on your use and space, for music in a medium-sized room the SB13 should be absolutely fine even at higher SPL.

tknx

It is for HT. I am going to move my SB13 to my music system.

SPL is not a huge concern because I rarely if ever listen at reference volumes, but going deep is key.

I suppose my short list is:

1. This Hsu
2. Monolith 16 at next sale
3. Klipsch RP-1600SW at next sale

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
In-room subs of this kind and size will all extend below 20Hz without issue. Just get what is cheapest or fits your space best or looks the meanest ... whatever is important to you.
You could maybe consider the Rythmik FV18 as well, that thing is massive and comparable in output to the Monoprice 16", but a bit more expensive usually. Seaton Sound also has some ... interesting creations.

tknx

It is a 15 x 25 room with an open stairwell upwards. So not tiny but mediumish size.

I’ll probably do the Monoprice on its next big sale

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1704556546742.png

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

deep bass

Hi all experts JTR sub

@sweetchaos

I am confused about what subwoofer works best based on my room size and my listening interest
i would like to get your opinions and advice on what model to choose
JTR 4000 OR JTR RS2
My Interest is 95% movies & 5% music
room size 21 * 15.4 * 8.8 = almost 2846 cu.ft
I will be using 4 subs
my system 9.4.4
any advice or recommendation I would be grateful

Top Bottom