• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR to RCA Converter Review

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 62 60.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 23.5%

• Total voters

Dave Bullet

I wonder how much of that is just a residual that would be bled if measured with a nominal load. There is no output coupling capacitor in the DM7??
It drops 7mV to 121mV offset when connected to an unbalanced amp powered off, but when the amp is powered on, the DC goes back up to the nominal (not connected at all) 128mV DC

Sescom Audio

Audio Company
For us, in the pro A/V and broadcast side the ones we make are commonly used and required. Sorry we don't have one with the required spec.

And certainly, an audiophile will do audiophile things (good, bad, and just ...well...unique...). Here to help if we can help

All the best to you and yours
Dan

a2Thompson

reading this message gave me the impression that we can unbalance DM7 with this device. I will try it with an unbalanced sub.

@AudioKC: I am eager to hear how this worked for you. I am planning a similar system for multi-channel audio in my kithcen/dining/living room space that will have Roon-Ropiee Rpi4--> multichannel DAC (currently the DM7 looks like the best option for price, etc. or the Motu ultralite, but that is more $)--> 4 Genelec 8010A and 2 Elac DBR powered by a balanced in amp and then 2 subs, which will be RCA input unless I can find a balanced sub for < $700 with comparable specs to Rhythmik L12s, for instance. The runs to the Genelec 8010's will be long in some cases (maybe 30') so I do really want them balanced. I looked for small speakers with good specs (and I mean small, cause SAF...) but I can't find anything with excellent directivity that would work (someone tell me if they know some the size of the 8010s, that would be great and then I just run speaker wire). Anyway, the DC offset discussion around the DM7 has been troubling me and I'm hoping these SES-BUB-1206 will work.

Last edited:

AudioKC

I am eager to hear how this worked for you

It works perfectly well in my setup, I was afraid of the -6db level, but the 4Volt DM7 output at max volume into XLR gave a perfect voltage match into the RCA LFE input of my nonbalanced sub, and now I run multiple sub with one RCA sub with this device. No hum, pop sound, or any noise. Also bonus, RCA sub autodetecting signal and turning self on and off.

Topping DM7 DAC works fine as well. Running it all with Dirac Live Bass Control.

a2Thompson

It works perfectly well in my setup, I was afraid of the -6db level, but the 4Volt DM7 output at max volume into XLR gave a perfect voltage match into the RCA LFE input of my nonbalanced sub, and now I run multiple sub with one RCA sub with this device. No hum, pop sound, or any noise. Also bonus, RCA sub autodetecting signal and turning self on and off.

Topping DM7 DAC works fine as well. Running it all with Dirac Live Bass Control.
Nice! Thanks! You run 2 subs with one of the 8 DAC lines? Do you have another DSP system to match the levels and DSP the individual subs or do you have the same DSP corrections sent to both? I was thinking of running two of the DM7 lines out separately to 2 subs but using probably separate DSP corrections, etc. based on measurements and maybe some Multisub Optimizer output. For that I think I would need two of the SES-BUB-1206 units.

Top Bottom