• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New set of graphs for all speakers reviews

OP
P

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't think that would be legal to post or use them here as they are not offered for free, unless someone gets/buys the rights for them.

+1

Understandable, but it should be possible to use the measurements for computing scores and creating EQ profiles.

Yes but that's a lot of work. Maybe we can reach out to them to ask for the data (not to be published directly)

mtg90

May be of use, I recently took a bunch of detailed measurements of many of my DIY designs and have been slowly posting the pages with the measurements to my site.

Here is the page where I have them hosted (bottom half).

They should each have a link to a zip file with the polar data exported from VituixCAD.

A few of them have already been added, the three Nexus designs and the two cheap PA speakers (LYX & Rockville) I had also tested.

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
May be of use, I recently took a bunch of detailed measurements of many of my DIY designs and have been slowly posting the pages with the measurements to my site.

Here is the page where I have them hosted (bottom half).

They should each have a link to a zip file with the polar data exported from VituixCAD.

A few of them have already been added, the three Nexus designs and the two cheap PA speakers (LYX & Rockville) I had also tested.

Nice.

I added :
- AlTi: nice speaker with very good polars and excellent PIR (score: 6.3 and with EQ 6.9)
- SG HT-8: score 2.6 (5.3 with EQ but cost a lot of SPL)
- SG HT-10: score 4.8 (5.9 with EQ, I had to add a lot of them to tame the oscillations)
- SG HT-12: score 4.3 (5.5 with EQ)
- SG HT-12+: score 5.1 (5.7 with EQ) nice speaker too
- VBS-6.2: score 4.2 (4.5 with EQ) bass shy but sg otherwise.
- VBS-10.2: score 5.3 (5.7 with EQ)

Website is under update.

mtg90

Thanks, it's interesting to see where those fall.

I noticed the contour plots and IsoBands on these (and the Nexus too) have all that data squashed to down ~10khz instead of extending up to 20khz. What would cause that to happen? The remaining graphs seem correctly scaled.

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
Thanks, it's interesting to see where those fall.

I noticed the contour plots and IsoBands on these (and the Nexus too) have all that data squashed to down ~10khz instead of extending up to 20khz. What would cause that to happen? The remaining graphs seem correctly scaled.
that's a bug. Since it is the n-th bug due to poor support of some kind of graphs in altair, I am switching to plotly. I am 60% done, so far, so food.

New style:

newplot (1).png

newplot (2).png
newplot (3).png

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor

BoredErica

Last edited:
OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
I pushed a completely new version: https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/.

What's new and is visible:
- site load faster esp. the comparator
- more scalable, I can add 1000s of speakers
- beta: 3D view, globeplot view
- comparator is fast
- likely new bugs :(
- should work better on phones

What's new and not visible:
- migrated from vega+altair to plotly : more code run on the frontend ; I could run almost everything on the client.
- removed lots of old javascript libraries and replaced them by Web API or new features from browser: it means old browsers are badly supported. It works fine in Edge, Mozilla, Chrome and Safari.

Feedback welcome here or in on github.

BoredErica

Is there a way to make https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/scores.html more compact or showing which review the score is based off of like how it used to be? :)

The score there can also be clicked on. I'm assuming it's a button meant to take the user to the measurements?

Last edited:

Arc Acoustics

- comparator is fast

- migrated from vega+altair to plotly : more code run on the frontend ; I could run almost everything on the client.
- removed lots of old javascript libraries and replaced them by Web API or new features from browser: it means old browsers are badly supported. It works fine in Edge, Mozilla, Chrome and Safari.

Very nice! I love the new cleaner and finer polar plot!
Something wrong with the normalized polar plot though.
(somehow the angle is shifted I guess?)
https://pierreaubert.github.io/spin...rtical/SPL Horizontal Contour Normalized.html

Erici

Forum Donor

- comparator is fast

Thanks for the wonderful resource Pierre! It's great to have the spin data from many different sources compiled in one place, with the EQ and analysis capability that you've developed.

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
Top Bottom