• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stop YouTube ads once and for all

RHO

Major Contributor
Well ad crackdown may have help push them to more subscribers. So don't look for any move in the other direction.
On the other hand I get the feeling that some "influencers" with many subscribers just quit YT or have shifted their main focus from YT to other social media platforms. So maybe they have more subscribers, but what about total amount of views or viewing time? If outside the subscriptions to YT premium the ad revenue goes down significantly the total sum could still end up negative.

dzerig

If you pay for the service there are no ads. Why would you not want ads anyway? How else will we get quality content?

RHO

Major Contributor
If you pay for the service there are no ads. Why would you not want ads anyway? How else will we get quality content?
As if the ad revenue goes to the content creators.:rolleyes:

Digital_Thor

There are still pretty easy ways to use YouTube without too much annoyance - as always mentioned in this thread.

I hate commercials in general. They are more like a terribly acted miniature sitcom where you have a few seconds to force-feed the viewer into thinking that trowing your money towards them, is the best idea ever - almost always with no questions asked and with highly empty/hollow promises.

Where I would like commercials to go. Would be a straight-up honest use of a given product. So if I watch someone build a bird house. Then the person making the video - could use a given brand of tools and give me a good, thorough sense of how the tool actually works during the construction process.
In this way, I am actually willingly looking at a given product, because it naturally is included in the thing I'm watching. Rather than watching anything related to all sorts of ridiculous stuff, that I would never need. I have never ever needed a commercial about food or drinks - ever. Never in my life have I ever bought food or drinks because of any commercial ever. If I go to a restaurant, then I look at the menu outside or inside(maybe online first ) - which kinda is like a commercial - and then I order from there. But I was actively going there - entering the building but my own choice.

If I buy a screwdriver - I hope that it'll last for many many years, so I won't need a new one for many many years to come. Which is why commercials are totally lost on me in this regard - unless I'm actively searching for something specific, which I then buy.... to never return again - for a loooong time.

I'm willing to watch videos in 720P rather than 4K. As long as I get the info I need and the content/sound/quality is up to par. 50/60 fps can be awesome in certain videos where movement is helpful for an immersive experience, but above 1080P.... I'm just not seeing the benefit on a 55" OLED at around 3 m distance.

I don't know where to go from here. I have ideas ranging from plugging in my CD player again ( to skip the music part), accept a few commercials, use all available ad-blockers, to just buy premium - or maybe if they offered some solution to watch in max 1080P or something - or maybe max 2 hours a day - for cheaper.

Sun is shining again. I'll turn off and venture outside a bit to bike to gym - without my phone. Too much online anything - makes you sideways anyway :p

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Fun fact: 52% of Americans now use ad blockers. Among advertising professionals it's 66% - and these are the people most likely to tell you ad blocking is immoral. For programming and security professionals it's 72% and 76% respectively. More are doing it to protect privacy than because they just don't want to see ads., and that proportion rises in those professions too.
https://www.theregister.com/2024/03/27/america_ad_blocker/

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fun fact: 52% of Americans now use ad blockers.

What is the reason for ad blockers? It is because ads became so intrusive. To the point of taking over your PC (automated videos with soundtracks, flashing 'in your face' distractions, one after another with no end. Often totally obnoxious.

Most people probably wouldn't mind one or two short 'relevant' ads. But that's not how it worked out.

It is the way of the PC world. Microsoft is typical. They've turned their Windows OS into a platform for (mostly, but not exclusively) MS ads. At the most banal level: used to get a free card game with Windows. Now, in order to play their game you either have to send them money, or watch some ads. I wouldn't even mind it if the ad was Ballmer doing his lunatic monkey-boy 'developer' dancing... that would be kind of funny. But I don't think Nadella knows how to dance.

From a practical standpoint, I've found that Brave cuts through the YT ads pretty well. But for me, YT content is about as low-life as you can get, for the most part. I won't be missing much if I have to bail on them, completely. Right now I watch a couple of electric guitar sites--McKnight for industry insights and the Guitaristas, because Colin is so low-key. But most have turned into obnoxious click-bait--simply industry sponsored ads masquerading as a program, not worth spending serious time with. YT has become a visual sewer. Just IMO. YMMV

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The report did cover why people were using ad blockers, but you didn't quote my summary. It's not something they draw much attention to - see page 4 of the report.

dzerig

Fun fact: 52% of Americans now use ad blockers. Among advertising professionals it's 66% - and these are the people most likely to tell you ad blocking is immoral. For programming and security professionals it's 72% and 76% respectively. More are doing it to protect privacy than because they just don't want to see ads., and that proportion rises in those professions too.
https://www.theregister.com/2024/03/27/america_ad_blocker/
Is there something in the TOS that would prevent use of adblockers somehow, not for blocking ads but for manipulating the content in some way that could be considered ... bad.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think a more straightforward approach would be either stop using youtube or stop being a thief.

Creators get paid based on ad revenue, and the creators who get hurt the most by ad blockers are the small ones. Professional creators work directly with companies, and hence bypass youtube.

Basic Channel

I think a more straightforward approach would be either stop using youtube or stop being a thief.

Creators get paid based on ad revenue, and the creators who get hurt the most by ad blockers are the small ones. Professional creators work directly with companies, and hence bypass youtube.

Most straightforward approach is that I just keep watching youtube with ublock origin, and you can cry about me being a thief while being bombarded with adverts based on your recent google searches everywhere you go.

DLS79

Forum Donor
Most straightforward approach is that I just keep watching youtube with ublock origin, and you can cry about me being a thief while being bombarded with adverts based on your recent google searches everywhere you go.

Nah, I'm waiting for them to play hard ball and just block the add blocker users. Then I can laugh at all of you crying about not being able to watch what you want to.

Basic Channel

Nah, I'm waiting for them to play hard ball and just block the add blocker users. Then I can laugh at all of you crying about not being able to watch what you want to.

You should wait for Youtube to stop with their silly 'shorts', since you are so concerned about their revenue.

I'll continue to be able to watch what I want, without paying for Netflix, and without being offered cheap titillation when trying to read news about my football team.

recycle

Apart of the usual adblockers, I'm using an interesting youtube alternative now: Invidious. It is a project that mirrors all the contents of YouTube without having spyware or adv, I can even use it without being logged in. The site is an open source project
https://invidious.io/

DLS79

Forum Donor
That is impossible. There is something called VPN and incognito mode.

I've posted about it before on the forum, but they can use a few methods to ensure you watch ads. It all comes down to how much time and effort they want to put into it.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've posted about it before on the forum, but they can use a few methods to ensure you watch ads. It all comes down to how much time and effort they want to put into it.
YouTube ad is no longer an issue for anyone since all the fix and apps have been deployed.

coonmanx

This is hilarious. Someone whining that we don't want to watch ads. The sky is falling. LOL. Just tried a video and had zero issues watching it... Ad free. And I have no issue at all with that.

Besides, I don't need any boner pills...

Top Bottom