• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stop YouTube ads once and for all

recycle

Call it whatever you want, but I have a really low opinion of criminals/thieves!
Criminal? Thieves?
It's not that easy. Adblocks themselves are not illegal, on the basis that you have the right to decide which content and scripts enter your system, this is a topic on which adblocker devs have won several court cases. If you want to delve deeper you can start here:

https://blockadblock.com/adblocking/adblockers-dont-break-the-law-except-when-they-do/

https://blockadblock.com/adblocking/addressing-adblocking-terms-use-agreement/

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Criminal? Thieves?

When you watch an ad on YT, (68% of the ad revenue goes to the creator of the video you where watching (assuming they meet the minimum requirements), and the rest goes to YT. When you block ads you're stealing money/income from the people who created the video you wanted to watch.

recycle

When you watch an ad on YT, (68% of the ad revenue goes to the creator of the video you where watching (assuming they meet the minimum requirements), and the rest goes to YT. When you block ads you're stealing money/income from the people who created the video you wanted to watch.
Whether blocking ads on YouTube is stealing or not is decided by a judge in court, if you carefully read the links I posted, it seems that this is not the case, on the basis that "you have the right to decide which content and scripts enter your system”. Obviously, you are free to think that the practice of adblocking is unethical: no one stops you from watching all the commercials you want

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's putting it mildly.
It's no more unethical than me skipping ads (back in the day I used a PVR), walking out of the room when they are on, or simply diverting my attention elsewhere for the duration.

Golf

Bought a newspaper two or three years ago, only to cut out a certain article from page 3. The rest of it went into the waste paper bin, unread.

Man, I feel guilty to this very day :facepalm:

DLS79

Forum Donor
It's no more unethical than me skipping ads (back in the day I used a PVR), walking out of the room when they are on, or simply diverting my attention elsewhere for the duration.

That's kind of an apples and oranges comparison.

For broadcast television the broadcaster gets paid based on ratings and excepted viewership. It doesn't matter if you record it, fall asleep, or are getting a snack, the broadcaster gets paid either way.

Blocking a YT ad is ensuring the add can't be "broadcast" to you, and thus the creator doesn't get paid.

Last edited:

DLS79

Forum Donor
Bought a newspaper two or three years ago, only to cut out a certain article from page 3. The rest of it went into the waste paper bin, unread.

Man, I feel guilty to this very day :facepalm:

This is the most nonsensical analogy I've heard in a long long time. You paid for the Newspaper, thus they got what they wanted (money), and you got what you wanted a newspaper!

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Well he asks us kindly and offers an alternative.

Edit, I take this back. The thread got closed.

recycle

Sorry, but sweet isn't a moderator. unless a moderator steps in and says we/I can't discuss that I'm going to continue to respond as i see fit!
Take off the mask: you're not discussing, you're trolling

DLS79

Forum Donor
Take off the mask: you're not discussing, you're trolling
You can call it whatever you want, I'm responding to posts that I disagree with. It's no different to the huge number of users here who responded to golden ear ridiculousness.

Golf

You paid for the Newspaper

That is correct. But that price I had paid was a reduced one, thanks to the ads money that went into producing my newspaper copy and which was invested with the very strong and very noble hope that I would pay attention to the ads and buy some of the advertised goods or services.

Nothing of it happened. Because I am such a crook :facepalm:

DLS79

Forum Donor
That is correct. But that price I had paid was a reduced one, thanks to the ads money that went into producing my newspaper copy and which was invested with the very strong and very noble hope that I would pay attention to the ads and buy some of the advertised goods or services.

I think you missed the point. As soon as you purchased the paper the advertiser & publisher financial interaction was complete.

It's no different for YT, if the add plays then YT and the content creator get paid. It doesn't matter if you are using the restroom or getting a snack, and thus didn't watched the add.

recycle

I think you missed the point. As soon as you purchased the paper the advertiser & publisher financial interaction was complete.

It's no different for YT, if the add plays then YT and the content creator get paid. It doesn't matter if you are using the restroom or getting a snack, and thus didn't watched the add.
Adblocks are perfectly legal, I have published the links with the court rulings, (if you had read them, the discussion would already be over). If adblocks were illegal they would be immediately banned from the Apple Store and Google Play. Furthermore, if there were any irregularities in those softwares, the devs would be responsible, certainly not the end user. Calling "criminal" a guy at home who doesn't want to watch the McBacon adv seems really too much to me.

I understand that you empathize with artists, but I'm already doing a lot by giving them my attention: I guess you know that for an artist, the real value of being on YouTube is the amount of views and subscribers, certainly not the spare change of the adv reward

Reactions: RHO

Golf

As soon as you purchased the paper the advertiser & publisher financial interaction was complete.

Come on ... This is not about the advertiser & publisher financial interaction, as you are very well aware of. Instead, this is about what the advertising companies want us to do. They want us to pay attention to their ads and to buy their goods or services. And they are investing an amaaaaaaazing lot of money to reach that goal.

But I failed them, scoundrel that I am :facepalm:

DLS79

Forum Donor
I understand that you empathize with artists, but I'm already doing a lot by giving them my attention: I guess you know that for an artist, the real value of being on YouTube is the amount of views and subscribers, certainly not the spare change of the adv reward

I personally don't use YT for music consumption. I'm talking about more than just artists, I'm talking about content creators as a whole.

for example here is a maching related creator that I follow. My 5 hear old loves to sit and watch this with me because he finds it fascinating.

Only he and YT know exactly how much he is making but I'm sure its a none trivial amount that supplements his main income nicely.

Top Bottom