• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEOHIPO ET30 VU Meter Speaker Switcher Review

Rate this VU meter/Selector

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 51 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 149 70.3%

• Total voters

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi! Could anyone please advise a similar device but without a level meter? I just need a reliable speaker switcher with a remote control to compare some gear.
Tried to find something on Amazon, but can't be sure if it doesn't affect signal :(

Luxman AS-50R​

It is silly expensive at full retail but you will find it used on eBay for a good price occasionally. I will send one in to Amir to test if he’s interested.

BadAudioAdvice

Would it be possible to test to see if it has any impact on the signal being passed from the amplifier to the speaker?
(apologies if that was part of the review, from what I read, it looks like the testing was in parallel, and using it purely as a VU meter)

Also, is it safe to use to switch amplifiers? (i.e. is it wired correctly and won't cause a short when switching)

MrSoul4470

Oh, come on now. Where's that 10 year old little boy in you, the one that said OH THIS IS SO COOL! You can't take this hobby so serious that you lose track of the fun and the visual appeal. You're on the verge of being one of those Audiophile People.
Oh, that little boy is still there! And he's totally enjoying the fabulous light show of his Clarity M Stereo as he's writing this.

Seriously, 160 bucks for a toy seems expensive compared to about twice that much for a semi-professional real time analyzer.

AzReciOn

Well, it seems that its main value lies in the possible switching of two amplifiers and two pairs of speakers with remote control - this can be useful in some cases, as well as for comparison-switching amplifiers on the fly.

However, for such a serious use, additional measurement tests will probably be required (at least the effect on the output impedance, as well as its effect on the switched-on amplifier without load, and how safe it is for the amplifier at all) - and without special need, I would still not put this device between the amplifier and the speakers (I'm not really I believe in a noticeable effect on the sound of a pure copper cable, but I am personally skeptical about various unnecessary connections on the way from the amplifier to the speaker system).

Anyway, thanks for the review and measurements and I rate it "4. Great (golfing panther)".

DanielT

Major Contributor
Seriously, 160 bucks for a toy seems expensive compared to about twice that much for a semi-professional real time analyzer.
So be it, but plug and play is smooth for that NEOHIPO ET30 and besides that why can't we middle-aged men (and older than that) get to experience that childish gadget delight again.;)

A middle-aged man painting lamps, #65. I think it's fun and I'm not ashamed of it for a second.:D
628823-Malcolm-S-Forbes-Quote-The-difference-between-men-and-boys-is-the.jpg

Applies to women too, even if they don't want to admit it.:;)

Last edited:

joqueval

more pics here

https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudiophile/comments/17zum7y

is this one of Fosi's doings?

i suspect Fosi might stick the V3 guts into this one day
Hello.
3 weeks ago I published a small review, someone here got upset and I consider it garbage, I am glad that my impressions were true, I respect the work of measurements and it is necessary.
I was really expecting a toy device but it is well built and has useful elements, color change, micro, sensitivity adjustment.
I'm really enjoying it and if you like A/B comparisons it's a good element.
Any questions you have about it, consult it.
All the best

Ismapics

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a perfect gadget for Audiophiles. Serves no real purpose, doesn't improve sound quality but simply attracts the eye with a bouncing VU meter needle. The fact that it may not be safe for speaker/amp switching is a bonus! :p

Last edited:

Tomino

Forum Donor
I want to echo the comments that it would be nice to know how well this functions as a switcher. I would love to have something that can switch the power for my tower speakers between (A) an AV surround receiver with limited power and fidelity and (B) a dedicated audio amp.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted fine, but I find it interesting that ASR participants are interested in a product that does zero for sound quality and is just decoration. :) But hey, market economy talks, and this thing had sold out on Amazon when I checked. :)

I don't need it because my Squeezebox streamers have a built in VU meter skin... but admittedly I very seldom use it. VU meters these days would be more useful if they highlighted the compression built into the recordings we listen to, signal analysis rather than output volume (we all know when we listen to loud stuff). I remember the ones built in compact cassette players with bias and levels and such that would tell you when you were messing up the recording. That was useful. :)

Last edited:

joqueval

I want to echo the comments that it would be nice to know how well this functions as a switcher. I would love to have something that can switch the power for my tower speakers between (A) an AV surround receiver with limited power and fidelity and (B) a dedicated audio amp.
Hello.

It's the first thing I tried when I received it, it allowed me to connect an external amplifier to the main speakers.

I don't always use the AVR for all uses and sometimes you prefer to use stereo sound.

I honestly expected a reduction in sound quality, but I couldn't appreciate it.
Yes, there is an improvement in the sound using an external amplifier compared to the AVR.

Attachments

• NEOHIPO-ET30-00.jpg
    NEOHIPO-ET30-00.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 102
  • NEOHIPO-ET30-01.jpg
    NEOHIPO-ET30-01.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Tomino

Forum Donor
Hello.
It's the first thing I tried when I received it, it allowed me to connect an external amplifier to the main speakers.
I don't always use the AVR for all uses and sometimes you prefer to use stereo sound.
I honestly expected a reduction in sound quality, but I could not appreciate it or the improvement of the external amplifier compared to the AVR.
Good to know! Do you know whether the unit imposes a ceiling on the amount of power the amp can transfer to the speakers?

Top Bottom