• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Curious what you guys would change

jhb74

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
I've got an upgrade itch on a Franken-system that was basically put together with extra stuff I had and am swamped in indecision and would be very interested in any input.

This is a 2.2 (?? 2 subs) system that is a secondary setup used for both movies and music. For music I typically airplay (also contains a cd player and turntable) to a 65 inch Sony OLED and from there the chain goes:

TV toslink out to an SMSL M300 DAC which uses balanced outputs to an SMSL HO200 (headphone amp that also works as a preamp), then RCA out to an Iotavx SA3, and again RCA out to a Parasound 2125v2 power amplifier, speaker level out to a NEOHIPO ET30 VU meter, then continues on to a set of Elac Debut Reference DBR62 bookshelves.

The Parasounds B speaker output goes to a Rel T9/x (using the B output to make it easy to disengage it if I want).
The IOTAVX SA3's sub output feeds a Rel HT 1205

I told you... Franken-System. So I'm aware that I am using 2 preamps in a daisychain, and am fairly confident that the balanced connection between the DAC and HO200 adds absolutely nothing. A lot of this configuration is just because "I can" and am a network admin / tinkerer at heart and if I have an advanced connection I try to use it even if it doesn't get me anywhere :) Those are the only pieces of gear that I have that support balanced connections so I used them to try them out.

The system sounds great to me and anyone that listens to it but I want to upgrade it (this unstoppable upgrade urge is, FWIW, why I have Franken-systems from all the left over parts).

I'm also aware of the huge "Rel is just marketing hype" thread and honestly, a lot of that thread makes sense. I have another system that uses an SVS-SB1000 so I do have exposure to other subs but I do like the Rel's.

One upgrade I have been looking at is changing the speakers out for towers - maybe the Focal Chora 826's or Arendal's 1961 towers from their Outlet. My budget is about $1500 for this.
Other considerations are replacing the Parasound, or swapping out the 2 Rel subs for something else that is a single. Because of "real life" the 2 subs are currently side by side in the front of the room which seems to perform well vs. other places I have tried them.

I have a 9.2 system in the other room, so I'd like to keep this either a 2.1 or a 2.2.

Anyway, I tried to be as concise as possible. Would love to hear suggestions!
-JB

OP
J

jhb74

Forum Donor
After poking around, I might stretch my budget and shoot for a set of Revel M106 bookshelves. Amirm's review is pretty compelling.... I initially purchased the Elac's based on the review here as well - would the M106's be a solid step up from the DBR62's? Unfortunately there is no local shops that carry them so I'd be buying blind.

OP
J

jhb74

Forum Donor
Why are you unhappy with it, you said it sounds great..
If I conveyed anywhere that I was unhappy with it, that was a mistake. I'm always looking for ways to make stuff better though, and it's all relative. I'm sure if I popped a top of the line Revel tower into the mix I'd say "Oh, THAT's what great sounds like" and re-evaluate "great".

Top Bottom