• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEOHIPO ET30 VU Meter Speaker Switcher Review

Rate this VU meter/Selector

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 51 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 149 70.3%

• Total voters

Cal_Cobra

How is this different from the Douk Audio VU-3?

I bought and then returned two of these because when you switched inputs or changed volume the meters dimmed along with the action.
Physically it's about twice as large, and the physical build is better (beefier, uses larger sized 5-way speaker binding posts vs the almost miniature ones used on the Douk Audio Little Bear unit, etc.)

Cal_Cobra

Thank you all for your support. The first batch of 300 units sold out not long ago, and over half of the second batch of 200 units on our Amazon store has already been sold. It may take until February for new stock to arrive. If you have a demand, it's recommended to expedite your purchase. Thank you all for your support.
Thanks for joining ASR and participating. I just ordered one of your VU metered amplifier switchers. I love that you have adjustable RGB LED colored VU meters, no idea why everyone else thinks we all want orange (hint we don't).

It's curious that all of the current VU metered amplifier switchers available are a 2 in 2 out design. I would love to see either the ability to reconfigure the 2 in 2 out to say a 1 in 3 out, or better yet a 3 amplifier in 1 speaker out. Is there any chance you would offer a model in the future that could switch more than 2 amplifiers?

Thanks and I look forward to receiving my NEOHIPO ET30, which looks like it'll probably be delivered this week.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or, how about physically inter-connectable IEC 60268-17 compatible (especially the ballistic behaviors, ref. #60) pure VU-Meter module with RCA/XLR line-level and SP-High-level input capabilities? (ref. my suggestion #185)...

NEOHIPO

We firmly believe that the voice of our customers is a key force driving us forward. Our core mission is to create products and services that meet and exceed customer satisfaction. To achieve this, we are always open and value every piece of feedback and suggestion from our customers. We are convinced that by listening to and actively responding to customer opinions, we can continually improve and create an exceptional user experience. Therefore, we encourage you to share your insights with us, so we can work together towards a better future.

djb

I really like mine. Fun product and actually useful. I adjust the gain so the arm swing goes into the RED at 80db. Helps me keep the volume at safe levels. It is also interesting to see the dynamics between good recordings and highly compressed recordings where there is little 'bounce'.

Set it to blue color to match my Emotiva amp for a poor man's Macintosh.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice. I am a sucker for VU meters but always worried one of these would degrade the sound. Reassuring to see otherwise.

Gregss

We firmly believe that the voice of our customers is a key force driving us forward. Our core mission is to create products and services that meet and exceed customer satisfaction. To achieve this, we are always open and value every piece of feedback and suggestion from our customers. We are convinced that by listening to and actively responding to customer opinions, we can continually improve and create an exceptional user experience. Therefore, we encourage you to share your insights with us, so we can work together towards a better future.
Hello,

Purchased one of these and seems that while the ad says that they work with pretty much all amps, doesn't work well with my Hypex NC400 amp. Not enough sensitivity. Guessing the extremely low output resistance of this amp may have something to do with it. Tried two of these and same results.
Any suggestions? Tried wiring them in series with the speakers as well as directrly accross the wire going to the speakers, per the instructions. Not much difference.

Also, a suggestion. While love the idea of the changing colors available, would be great if could get the deep dark Marantz VU meter blue. Gets somewhat near, but nowhere as deep or nice a blue.

Regards,
Greg

Cal_Cobra

... Also, a suggestion. While love the idea of the changing colors available, would be great if could get the deep dark Marantz VU meter blue. Gets somewhat near, but nowhere as deep or nice a blue.

Regards,
Greg
I've yet to hook mine up to amps yet as I'm still working out some amp logistics, but I have it setup just for effect with the MIC and I agree that the VU meter blue is okay, but not quite what folks are after in regards to a blue lit VU meter.

Gregss

Morning,

Yep, unit is pretty, nicely well built, and good eye candy. But shouldn't have take much more to make it work better. IMHO.
Still like it, just not as good as it could have been.

NEOHIPO

Hello,

Purchased one of these and seems that while the ad says that they work with pretty much all amps, doesn't work well with my Hypex NC400 amp. Not enough sensitivity. Guessing the extremely low output resistance of this amp may have something to do with it. Tried two of these and same results.
Any suggestions? Tried wiring them in series with the speakers as well as directrly accross the wire going to the speakers, per the instructions. Not much difference.

Also, a suggestion. While love the idea of the changing colors available, would be great if could get the deep dark Marantz VU meter blue. Gets somewhat near, but nowhere as deep or nice a blue.

Regards,
Greg
Hello, you can try using the "M/D" button on the remote control to switch to "D" mode. At this time, the VU meter will flash twice, and then check if it will better meet your expectations.

NEOHIPO

I've yet to hook mine up to amps yet as I'm still working out some amp logistics, but I have it setup just for effect with the MIC and I agree that the VU meter blue is okay, but not quite what folks are after in regards to a blue lit VU meter.
Do you want to display a pure blue effect? When we first designed this product, we actually tried a white dial, but it didn't look very good when the lights were turned off. In the end, we chose a light yellow dial. Later, we will send out pictures of the effect of the white dial. We welcome your suggestions. Thanks.

Gregss

Hello,

Yes, have tried holding the M/D switch, not much if any difference at all. Sensitivity slightly changes, but the action of the meters is still barely moving.

Crazycatman

20240424_212805.jpg

20240424_213845.jpg

Just joined ASR after reading this thread. This is my little ongoing project - I repurposed a real walnut veneered case from an old Sony 8 track and the ET30 slides in perfectly. Just need to fabricate a faceplate from something to finish it off. Matches my Sansui AU 555a and TU 666 perfectly !

Top Bottom