• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio's First Integrated Amplifier with VU Meter-MC351 Discussion

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
As was posted, I find it strange to have a single VU meter on a stereo product. I know it takes more space and money to put two in there but that is really the way to go.
And while at it, separates with some little DAC/preamp stacked onto a symmetrical dual VU-meter power amp, something reminiscing of an Accuphase or Mc setup with minimal cost and footprint, would be even nicer than an integrated, at least to my eyes.
The pre could have phono in, headphone out and line sub out, to make it more versatile and ultimate high-endish :cool:

Last edited:

Mosello

Which DAC will it be using?
How is this amp going to be different to a aiyima T9

diego_cl

Please maintain a separate line of products where all the money goes on sound quality without bells and whistles, so the value is still great.

I don't listen with the eyes, so I don't need to look at a VU meter unless I'm adjusting gain at a preamp or troubleshooting when the speakers are not playing. The meters look cool though.

Last edited:

SiR

Use One VU meter or Two VU meter in this upcoming model as per the wishes of our FM's

But one thing make sure Fosi this IA to be competing one in price and performance because at the end of the day that really matters for many of US

joqueval

Some comments from me
White background for the vu-meter, double vu-meter
rca pre out
Remove sub power output
All the best

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a long time, our fans have been strongly suggesting that we should make an amplifier with a VU meter. We are well aware that the retro charm brought by VU meters is beloved by many audiophiles. Therefore, as early as the beginning of this year, we have been dedicated to developing products with VU meters, such as integrated amplifiers and a selector/switcher. Now, the development and design of our first integrated amplifier with a VU meter is nearing completion, and we are currently in the intense process of testing and refining. Here we’d like to reveal its concept design and relevant information to our ASR members, and we kindly ask everyone to take a look at this amplifier and provide us with some optimization suggestions.:D

View attachment 299922View attachment 299923

The model is MC351. Here are some functions and features planned to be implemented.
1. Inputs: line-in, USB, optical, coaxial, Bluetooth
2. Outputs: speaker output, subwoofer output, pre-out
3. Amp Chip: TPA3255
4. Remote Control: √
5. Tone Control: √ (with tone-defeating)
It seems like a 3-ch amplifier. Why? Who use a passive subwoofer? Check the market!

A single VU is silly. People want it for show. Why limit the show?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The active subwoofer can be connected via the pre-out
I understand that but why are you forcing the vast majority of your market to pay more for an amplifier channel that they will never use.

How many passive subwoofers do you know on the market???

You are re-inventing the wheel...

Remove the 3rd channel and add the second meter.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah passive subwoofers arent that common now

be that as it may, they can do whatever they like... maybe they have a big mainland audience who likes that 0.1 powered channel

it just wont find buyers here but that's fine... not every product is for me

Hiten

I am not technically proficient but would this/these Vu meters be calibrated to the levels? I have seen in vintage amplifiers they had preset inside to adjust and exactly show precise levels. some had switches to select input levels or meter reading scales. If not showing precise levels it would be of no use. Besides needles have low reaction time to peaks. I remember because of this reason Sony company in some models switched to beautiful lcd/led display. Some companies had single led to show if amplifier is clipping or not. Even that would be helpful compared to having meters just for aesthetics.
regards.

Reactions: SiR

Zek

Major Contributor
Which amplifier has clipping indicator?
Most often, professional power amps.

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 10.36.33.png

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 10.43.24.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which amplifier has clipping indicator?
index.php

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see Fosi has on Indiegogo a new 2 channel stereo integrated amp with a pretty VU Meter. IMHO the MC101 is very cute, $74 pre-release Indiegogo price. I like that it has a physical switch for power and source selection, so the BT is not on all the time. Center detent for tone control bypass. If the "Pre-out" is controlled by the A-taper volume knob it should be a real winner. It is using the less powerful TPA3116 chip, but two of them in Mono, so the power output could be pretty good.

Plus, the listing states: "We'll bring a VU series of audio products to audiophiles later on."

Zek

Major Contributor
Fosi has on Indiegogo a new 2 channel stereo integrated amp with a pretty VU Meter. IMHO the MC101 is very cute, $74 pre-release Indiegogo price.
SMSL has a similar amplifier with the same chips at a better price and with a better display than that ugly VU meter.

OP
Fosi Audio

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I see Fosi has on Indiegogo a new 2 channel stereo integrated amp with a pretty VU Meter. IMHO the MC101 is very cute, $74 pre-release Indiegogo price. I like that it has a physical switch for power and source selection, so the BT is not on all the time. Center detent for tone control bypass. If the "Pre-out" is controlled by the A-taper volume knob it should be a real winner. It is using the less powerful TPA3116 chip, but two of them in Mono, so the power output could be pretty good.

Plus, the listing states: "We'll bring a VU series of audio products to audiophiles later on."
Thank you for your interest and recognition of our MC101. Yes, we will be launching more of our own developed VU meter-equipped products in the future, and we will share them with everyone.:)

Regarding the MC351 mentioned in this thread, there are still some issues that haven't been fully resolved. Our R&D team is working hard to overcome these challenges. We will continue to update everyone here with the latest developments.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL has a similar amplifier with the same chips at a better price and with a better display than that ugly VU meter.
The only similarity between them I see is that they use the same power chip. Buyers who think VU meters are ugly are likely not Fosi's VU series target audience.

bennjude19

Yes, the pre-out will be variable by the volume control. We'll also modify the V3's pre-out.
You're V3's pre-out had a crosstalk issue with your M03 subwoofer amp which I have both. The pre-out on V3 is not real it's just a pass-through! Try connecting your DAC output to V3's 3.5mm pre-out and it will serve as V3's input as well.

Top Bottom