• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio's First Integrated Amplifier with VU Meter-MC351 Discussion

Jasperous

You're V3's pre-out had a crosstalk issue with your M03 subwoofer amp which I have both. The pre-out on V3 is not real it's just a pass-through! Try connecting your DAC output to V3's 3.5mm pre-out and it will serve as V3's input as well.
What? I think my brain just crashed. This is an audio ouroboros? Please send photos before my mind goes into an infinite loop of what this actually looks like

Jasperous

index.php

If it wasn't for this place, I would have bought a Rega amp instead... I ended up being able to snag one of these guys instead!

bennjude19

What? I think my brain just crashed. This is an audio ouroboros? Please send photos before my mind goes into an infinite loop of what this actually looks like
Do you own a V3? Try it for yourself, both the RCA input and the 3.5mm preout can be use as an input but not at the same time. If you use the 3.5mm as an input then the RCA will be the V3's output.

Skelethor

And why not a dedicated class D stereo power amp without a volume knob, and also some monoblocks.
I already have a preamp with volume and remote control, and I only need one or two pure power amps.
Look how little of that there is on the market.
s.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can't find it but i can find this one

2023-11-19 00_04_02-Fosi Audio MC101 Bluetooth Stereo Amplifier with VU Meter – Google Chrome.png

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
$99 tpa3116 unit

not really a product for our demogrpahic

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
$99 tpa3116 unit

not really a product for our demogrpahic

Why on earth not? Plenty of people here using cheap as chips chip amps, myself included.

Surely our demographic is about understanding objective performance. If that performance meets the needs of the application (in my case a seondary desktop) then this is fine.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$99 tpa3116 unit - not really a product for our demographic
Surely our demographic is about understanding objective performance. If that performance meets the needs of the application (in my case a secondary desktop) then this is fine.
I vote you're both right. The MC101 (w 24v PS) and Fosi V3 (w 32v) are $72 for Black Friday on Fosi Audio. Bargains release endorphins for me.

ASR - Measurements Are Everything Demographic: V3 wins - Fosi's published specs on both are wildly inflated, but Amir V3 test has happy panther measurements which releases more endorphins in MAE Demographic. With the included power supplies, the V3 puts out a bit more measured power, but in terms of max dB, there is almost no difference.

ASR - Objective Performance Rating Determined by Real World Audibility Demographic: Both can be great. TPA3116 amps are not often discussed here, but the chip can objectively perform just fine. I have owned both the V3 and a Loxjie A10 and for desktop use both were subjectively equal. Many TPA3116 implementations have too much gain and do not have Taper A volume, so there can be audible noise. The MC101 has Taper A Volume. V3/MC101 probably both winners here.

ASR - Parts Quality and Tweakability Demographic - Clear win for the V3, German parts and Rollable Op-Amps release more endorphins

ASR- Objective Flexibility and Function Demographic: Clear MC101 win. Volume Controlled Line/Sub Out, Base/Treble with Center Detent, On/Off/Source Switch Separate from Volume Control, Bluetooth.

ASR - Minimalist Straight Wire With Gain Demographic, the V3 releases more endorphins.

ASR Subjective Appearance Demographic - A lot of effort was put into the design and build quality of both. I am old and like meters and cuteness. The clean no nonsense V3 will speak more to most ASR members I think.

Bottom Line: Fosi has sold 5 of the just released MC101 from its site for the Black Friday Sale. The V3 is the best selling mini amp, period. It is Amazon's Choice #1 Overall Pick.

TonyJZX is right, The V3 subjectively appeals to more ASR members.
antcollinet is right, In many, perhaps most use cases, the MC101 is objectively a better choice.

I do not think objective audible performance and utility drives ASR's majority demographic.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I vote you're both right. The MC101 (w 24v PS) and Fosi V3 (w 32v) are $72 for Black Friday on Fosi Audio. Bargains release endorphins for me.

ASR - Measurements Are Everything Demographic: V3 wins - Fosi's published specs on both are wildly inflated, but Amir V3 test has happy panther measurements which releases more endorphins in MAE Demographic. With the included power supplies, the V3 puts out a bit more measured power, but in terms of max dB, there is almost no difference.

ASR - Objective Performance Rating Determined by Real World Audibility Demographic: Both can be great. TPA3116 amps are not often discussed here, but the chip can objectively perform just fine. I have owned both the V3 and a Loxjie A10 and for desktop use both were subjectively equal. Many TPA3116 implementations have too much gain and do not have Taper A volume, so there can be audible noise. The MC101 has Taper A Volume. V3/MC101 probably both winners here.

ASR - Parts Quality and Tweakability Demographic - Clear win for the V3, German parts and Rollable Op-Amps release more endorphins

ASR- Objective Flexibility and Function Demographic: Clear MC101 win. Volume Controlled Line/Sub Out, Base/Treble with Center Detent, On/Off/Source Switch Separate from Volume Control, Bluetooth.

ASR - Minimalist Straight Wire With Gain Demographic, the V3 releases more endorphins.

ASR Subjective Appearance Demographic - A lot of effort was put into the design and build quality of both. I am old and like meters and cuteness. The clean no nonsense V3 will speak more to most ASR members I think.

Bottom Line: Fosi has sold 5 of the just released MC101 from its site for the Black Friday Sale. The V3 is the best selling mini amp, period. It is Amazon's Choice #1 Overall Pick.

TonyJZX is right, The V3 subjectively appeals to more ASR members.
antcollinet is right, In many, perhaps most use cases, the MC101 is objectively a better choice.

I do not think objective audible performance and utility drives ASR's majority demographic.
All well and good - but the post I replied to suggested (at least to me) that sub $100 chip amps (as a class) are not our demographic, rather than this specific one.

It might have meant just the tpa3116 chip amps - but that would be a weirdly specific exclusion.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure what Tony meant.

Because the MC101 uses an older TPA3116 higher THD chip & has vintage meter bling, I thought he meant that.

Motivation for my far too detailed post is that I do not think ASR members are actually more objective than audiophiles as a whole.

Threads about the V3 are some of the longest on ASR. Other audibly identical amps with more functionality, perhaps like the MC101, get almost no attention. That is counter-intuitive to me.

Last edited:

Nooby1411

Thank you for your interest and recognition of our MC101. Yes, we will be launching more of our own developed VU meter-equipped products in the future, and we will share them with everyone.:)

Regarding the MC351 mentioned in this thread, there are still some issues that haven't been fully resolved. Our R&D team is working hard to overcome these challenges. We will continue to update everyone here with the latest developments.
Is the MC101 pre out controlled by the volume knob at the front or is it just pass-through?

Vi Hermens

If it’s not too hard, use the same chassis as the amp switcher you just released - with the internals from 2 x ZX3 in monoblock mode feeding a channel each - major

The industrial design of the Fosi Audio stuff is improving massively and it makes it a whole lot easier to take a chance on it, backed up by the great price and amazing performance. Having a stack of matching gear in the larger chassis would be great for those of us who enjoy the visual theatre of hi-fi.

I personally bought a v3 two weeks ago, and upgraded to the ZX3 this weekend. I’ll be getting another one shortly. Thank you for making good sound more affordable.

Fitmartin

A couple of questions:
1. What DAC is used ?
2. For the subwoofer output is it powered by a separate Amp ?
3. Does the have a hi-pass filter ? e.g. if you detect a subwoofer connection add hi-pass filter on speaker outputs
4. Is there some control over the VU meter?
5. What is the thought process around binding posts for the sub rather than a dedicated sub-out?
All Fosi amplifier should have RCA sub out instead of lame preout!

Top Bottom