• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio's First Integrated Amplifier with VU Meter-MC351 Discussion

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
For a long time, our fans have been strongly suggesting that we should make an amplifier with a VU meter. We are well aware that the retro charm brought by VU meters is beloved by many audiophiles. Therefore, as early as the beginning of this year, we have been dedicated to developing products with VU meters, such as integrated amplifiers and a selector/switcher. Now, the development and design of our first integrated amplifier with a VU meter is nearing completion, and we are currently in the intense process of testing and refining. Here we’d like to reveal its concept design and relevant information to our ASR members, and we kindly ask everyone to take a look at this amplifier and provide us with some optimization suggestions.:D

1689670163918.png
1689670182547.png

The model is MC351. Here are some functions and features planned to be implemented.
1. Inputs: line-in, USB, optical, coaxial, Bluetooth
2. Outputs: speaker output, subwoofer output, pre-out
3. Amp Chip: TPA3255
4. Remote Control: √
5. Tone Control: √ (with tone-defeating)

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
and headphones out, like the smsl AL200 or Loxjie A30 so could be used at the desktop :) , you could even have 2 versions, one with less power for desktop if possible.

Graham849

Forum Donor
Please ensure bluetooth reception is off when other inputs are selected.

OP
Fosi Audio

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
and headphones out, like the smsl AL200 or Loxjie A30 so could be used at the desktop :) , you could even have 2 versions, one with less power for desktop if possible.
Yah, we have some other models with VU meters coming for desktop.:D

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm in two minds.. there's a lot of well worn territory here

i'm guessing the VU only runs off the left channel???

this is just my feelings about these sorts of integrated amps... i'm not super interested in internal dacs... we know these retreading stuff that already works, i'm not interested in BT

I assuming the sub and pre-outs are all tied into the vol. control???

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always prefer symmetrical design with 2 VUs, ideally similar to the Accuphase design:

e-5000.jpg

Source of the photo: https://www.accuphase.com/model/e-5000.html

Bring something like this but smaller till $500 but still with good haptic quality and measurements and I think it will be a hit.

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I criticized the P3 a lot (and still kickstarted one)...so its only fair: I think this looks great.

I do not think a powered sub channel will be used much in the U.S. where almost everyone uses powered subs.
I hope the "Pre-Out" is variable by the volume control, not fixed like the V3, so powered subs can be used.
The new cosmetics are sweet.

I like the minimal brand labeling. Perhaps 3rd parties can manufacture stickers that say Macintosh, Krell, or Accuphase for the front ;)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
so this is a 3 channel amp?

i feel like this isnt advertising per se... like realistically how many people here will buy this? it does not fit into many peoples' setups here... we all have piles of equipment anyway

the V3 works because it does a very tightly focussed job very well

this 351 does a lot but many of us dont want things to do a lot?

OP
Fosi Audio

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I hope the "Pre-Out" is variable by the volume control, not fixed like the V3, so powered subs can be used.
Yes, the pre-out will be variable by the volume control. We'll also modify the V3's pre-out.

OP
Fosi Audio

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
so this is a 3 channel amp?

i feel like this isnt advertising per se... like realistically how many people here will buy this? it does not fit into many peoples' setups here... we all have piles of equipment anyway

the V3 works because it does a very tightly focussed job very well

this 351 does a lot but many of us dont want things to do a lot?
OK, I understand. Many people prefer separates than integrated devices.:facepalm:

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A couple of questions:
1. What DAC is used ?
2. For the subwoofer output is it powered by a separate Amp ?
3. Does the have a hi-pass filter ? e.g. if you detect a subwoofer connection add hi-pass filter on speaker outputs
4. Is there some control over the VU meter?
5. What is the thought process around binding posts for the sub rather than a dedicated sub-out?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Advertising for free?? ASR policy is really strange, at least to me.
Our rules for Vendors are not a secret and are openly published. (Linked below)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A VU meter makes the sound better, LOL.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
well to be fair i see these guys... heaps of these guys from Douk to WIllsenton... be completely obsessed with tubes... and we know tubes makes the sound better...

LOL!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i like VU meters... I mean its clear many here do to... I like luxman accuphase mcintosh, you name it

but i dont care for it on a $100 class d amp... BUT the fundmentals have to be there... like on a McIntosh the VU meters are there and you know it'll perform

the above amp does not really hit me in the wallet for a slew of reasons but at the same time, I do like to see what they are doing anyway

i do have a slight disdain for this generic type of VU meter that's slapped into a douk or whatever tube nonsense is coming out but not every product is for me

Hell, there's literally too many products for me that I have already bought when I have no use for it.

Top Bottom