• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Douk VU3 VU Meter Review (Updated Version)

Rate this VU meter/Selector

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 40 25.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 18 11.5%

• Total voters

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is just a sturdy switch and is probably better in contact pressure than your average power relay.

KEFCarver

Thank you, will likely go with this option. Has anyone tested this switcher though?
Yes- I tested it after purchasing it. No real effect on frequency response or THD. Not sure what the isolation was between paths/ports, but it works well

lemongrass

So, if you just want a vu meter (without any switching functionality), and it doesn't
have speaker-level inputs, would using a line-out converter (as often used in car stereo
systems) in parallel with the speakers be the best way to avoid distortion - rather than
just using the line-level outputs?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just split the input signal to the power amp. use a cheap low powe speaker amp to drive the swinging needles.
Just realize that the meters are just for the show.. just swinging needles

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, if you just want a vu meter (without any switching functionality), and it doesn't
have speaker-level inputs, would using a line-out converter (as often used in car stereo
systems) in parallel with the speakers be the best way to avoid distortion - rather than
just using the line-level outputs?

Yes, it is a practically useful and nice way especially if you (we) would like to monitor/correlate actual relative levels (i.e. tone balance) of air sound SPL given by multiple SP drivers directly and dedicatedly driven by multiple amplifiers; I completed my DIY of 12-VU-Meter Array based on this approach. If you would be interested please visit here post #535 on my project thread for the details. You can adjust the relative gain of such multiple VU meters by playing/listening to flat white noise (or pink noise).

How does the 12-VU-Meter Array behave during music listening?
- Dancing video of my IEC 60268-17 compatible large glass-face DIY 12-VU-Meter Array
_____Part-1:
with "High Frequency Linearity Check Track" of Sony Super Audio Check CD: #750
_____Part-2: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-1: #751
_____Part-3: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-2: #752
_____Part-4: with typical "Jazz Piano Trio Music": #753

By the way, in case if you would use VB-Audio Matrix as system-wide audio I/O routing center, the beautifully designed "peak meters" on VB-Matrix Routing Grid are also very nice for monitoring digital level gains in each of the I/O channels.
- VB-Audio MATRIX (VASIO64A setup) as system-wide ASIO and other audio I/O routing center: Replacement for ASIO4ALL and VB-Audio Virtual/HiFi Cables: Part-1 #851

- VB-Audio MATRIX (VASIO64A setup) as system-wide ASIO and other audio I/O routing center: Replacement for ASIO4ALL and VB-Audio Virtual/HiFi Cables: Part-2_Further optimization in conformity with present configuration of DSP "EKIO": #854

- VB-Audio MATRIX (VASIO64A setup) as system-wide ASIO and other audio I/O routing center: Replacement for ASIO4ALL and VB-Audio Virtual/HiFi Cables: Part-3_VB Matrix VAIO4 as Windows default audio playback device feeding into system-wide DSP Center "EKIO": #858

Last edited:

lemongrass

Yes, it is a practically useful and nice way especially if you (we) would like to monitor/correlate actual relative levels (i.e. tone balance) of air sound SPL given by multiple SP drivers directly and dedicatedly driven by multiple amplifiers; I completed my DIY of 12-VU-Meter Array based on this approach. If you would be interested please visit here post #535 on my project thread for the details. You can adjust the relative gain of such multiple VU meters by playing/listening to flat white noise (or pink noise).

How does the 12-VU-Meter Array behave during music listening?
- Dancing video of my IEC 60268-17 compatible large glass-face DIY 12-VU-Meter Array
_____Part-1:
with "High Frequency Linearity Check Track" of Sony Super Audio Check CD: #750
_____Part-2: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-1: #751
_____Part-3: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-2: #752
_____Part-4: with typical "Jazz Piano Trio Music": #753
Very nice! The Audio-Technica AT-HLC-130
appears to be just a high-quality standard car impedance converter, for anyone looking for
something similar, the PAC SNI35 is a good readily-available substitute, (though only
rated for 20-20khz) that has been tested with no distortion at up to 2v output.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys at this price we are getting eye candy only.
I think I got peer-pressured [ADD: By uze'awl] and bought two of these at $1.99 each.
202312_VUmeter.jpg

I positioned them under my left/right PC speakers.
You called them 'eye-candy' but they border the 'eye-sore' territory, after about 5 minutes of pulsations!:confused:

Last edited:

jdjung

I think I got peer-pressured [ADD: By uze'awl] and bought two of these at $1.99 each.
View attachment 331531
I positioned them under my left/right PC speakers.
You called them 'eye-candy' but they border the 'eye-sore' territory, after about 5 minutes of pulsations!:confused:
Maybe flip them around and have them as reflective mood lighting behind your monitor?

Daviede

Thank you, will likely go with this option. Has anyone tested this switcher though?
Oh, that sounds pretty cool. I've been thinking about getting a speaker switcher to use with my JBL 308P Mkii and Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 V2. It seems like there's a new brand, NEOHIPO, that has a similar one called NEOHIPO ET30. It has more colorful lights, seems to have a smaller impact on the amplifier, and has a larger VU meter size (which I like). Has anyone given it a test run yet?
https://www.amazon.com/NEOHIPO-Ampl...=1700191600&refresh=1&s=merchant-items&sr=1-5
Douk AudioVU3
https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-Speaker-Audio-Switcher-Display/dp/B096KLDMCV/ref=sr_1_4?crid=ZKRFFV4PDK7W&keywords=DUCK+AUDIO+VU2&qid=1693465620&sprefix=duck+audio+vu2,aps,422&sr= 8-4

KEFCarver

Oh, that sounds pretty cool. I've been thinking about getting a speaker switcher to use with my JBL 308P Mkii and Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 V2. It seems like there's a new brand, NEOHIPO, that has a similar one called NEOHIPO ET30. It has more colorful lights, seems to have a smaller impact on the amplifier, and has a larger VU meter size (which I like). Has anyone given it a test run yet?
https://www.amazon.com/NEOHIPO-Ampl...=1700191600&refresh=1&s=merchant-items&sr=1-5
Douk AudioVU3
https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-Speaker-Audio-Switcher-Display/dp/B096KLDMCV/ref=sr_1_4?crid=ZKRFFV4PDK7W&keywords=DUCK+AUDIO+VU2&qid=1693465620&sprefix=duck+audio+vu2,aps,422&sr= 8-4
Thanks for posting this. It looks similar, but different enough. I am going to reach to to them for a demo that I can test....

Daviede

Thanks for posting this. It looks similar, but different enough. I am going to reach to to them for a demo that I can test....
Oh, Amirm has already released the test for this today.Good! It looks good, with two large VU meters measuring 80*45mm, larger than Douk Audio's (60*35mm), and the size seems to be considerably larger as well.

KEFCarver

Oh, Amirm has already released the test for this today.Good! It looks good, with two large VU meters measuring 80*45mm, larger than Douk Audio's (60*35mm), and the size seems to be considerably larger as well.
I reached out to the company but did not hear back from them. Looks like a nice unit- if I did not have the one I the one I do (w/out VU meters), I would purchase it. Maybe I still will as I have a pair of speakers that I switch between. Am designing my own power meter right now- large blue "mac like" analog meters- 1st go at it did not work well so am redesigning it.

Top Bottom