• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio's First Integrated Amplifier with VU Meter-MC351 Discussion

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it looks fantastic. The high level subwoofer output is a bit of a confusing thing though. I agree a little bigger volume knob is good.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Green might work. I've never had focusing issues on a green LED.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 31.png

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My problem with LEDs is that they are usually so bright they blind you in a dark home theater, or so dim you cannot see them. Dim is better; these work.
LEDs are especially bad if they flash all the time like the Bru5. I would have tossed that thing the 1st day without LightDimms.

SO...Not Blue, Not Bright, Not Flashing please.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A peak power meter would be more useful (or at least a clipping indicator). And perhaps a peak power meter with multiple ranges...

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i havent seen anyone do this yet but i always wanted VU meters to be able to set sensitivity

ie. have a 'normal' mode, one 'party' mode where movement is exaggerated

my amp now how VU meters but they hardly move unless you crank it... AND even then they dont move that much unless your speakers are truly hard to drive

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are going to put a VU meter on, you need to have two - and as pointed out above, some sort of symmetry is needed.

You also need to ensure the response of the meter is correct. Just having any old jiggling needle purely as eye candy/gimmick sticks in my craw.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I don't love this route for Fosi (seems too much like where Aiyima went with their product mix) but agree that if doing this kind of thing, go with two VU meters, more similar in appearance to the Douk dual VU accessory thingamabob.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
well i kind of knew this stuff was happening... I dont think this is too bad... its just them leaning into what the others are doing

i'm waiting for the dual VU meter w/ tubes stuff.

Zek

Major Contributor
One VU meter makes no sense, put two VU meters or none.
You don't need a subwoofer amplifier, as most subwoofers have a better amplifier built into them.

Hollywood_Bob

I wouldn't want a vu meter on an amplifier on my desk.

I'm looking at my computer screen and don't need an irritating and distracting dial wiggle going on in the periphery of my field of vision.

Could you put a wiggling hula dancer on top of the unit instead of the vu dial?

I might be able to live with that, if I had to.

StefanSweden

i havent seen anyone do this yet but i always wanted VU meters to be able to set sensitivity

ie. have a 'normal' mode, one 'party' mode where movement is exaggerated

my amp now how VU meters but they hardly move unless you crank it... AND even then they dont move that much unless your speakers are truly hard to drive
Pretty sure Ayima T9 Pro has it. IIRC I saw it on a YT-vid.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As was posted, I find it strange to have a single VU meter on a stereo product. I know it takes more space and money to put two in there but that is really the way to go.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
As was posted, I find it strange to have a single VU meter on a stereo product. I know it takes more space and money to put two in there but that is really the way to go.
I thought that too, but then I looked closer and see it’s 3 channels making One Meter even more strange! ;)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I thought that too, but then I looked closer and see it’s 3 channels making One Meter even more strange! ;)

here's the thing

it only measures the sub channel

i mean the typical buyer only cares for the DOOF DOOF right? right?

nagster

nice!
Do the L and R needles move independently? The L+R mono needle hardly excites me. I do not know why.
Even if there is only one meter, I would be happy if you could make it two needles like the image.
nagra_modulometer_01.png

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
to me i always see similarities with these products

obviously the VU meter is a spec piece..,.. there's probably a factory in china that churns out VU meters on a massive scale and as peopple have seen on global sources, its probably like a few buck each

douk and aiyima use it too? i feel for the 'product planners' there.. TPA is their jam.... theyre not about to release a $300 amp because maybe their market segment isnt there... and this is for the local audience mainly right?

I reckon this is a $150 piece? maybe a tad less???

sort of like the Arylic B50 in many ways

Top Bottom