• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M23 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 102 30.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 223 66.0%

• Total voters
I am probably asking in the wrong place.

Do M23 or equivalent users feel the music is too clean or too sterile?

I am thinking this neutral may make you want to put on jogging sneakers and go away. I am obviously talking from someone who mixes and matches single use stereo components. Measurements make me roll my eye with missing the point,

I am thinking this neutral may make you want to put on jogging sneakers and go away. I am obviously talking from someone who mixes and matches single use stereo components. Measurements make me roll my eye with missing the point,
Are you sure you are on the right forum? If it is "warmth" (distortion, noise and coloration) you want, I suggest one of the many vintage gear forums.

Are you sure you are on the right forum? If it is "warmth" (distortion, noise and coloration) you want, I suggest one of the many vintage gear forums.
I have the M23 and I can say that it is absolutely NOT sterile sounding. However, I do have a tube preamp. It sounds glorious.

Looking at the better and more decent amplifiers from the past 40 years they mostly sound the same. If they have enough power for your speakers and needs then you are probably good to go.

I have the M23 and I can say that it is absolutely NOT sterile sounding. However, I do have a tube preamp. It sounds glorious.
Tube preamps are a popular way to add distortion and coloration (and power dissipation). Personally I prefer using DSP - much more flexible.

Good thought. I'd suggest some EQ or saturation effects if that's what you are looking for. Much cheaper than a new DAC, way more flexible, and reliably changes the sound.

Or change yourself. Try some THC. Magnifies "envelopment" dramatically.

I am obviously talking from someone who mixes and matches single use stereo components.
Then try this Purifi or two M200:

My speakers prefer the lower output impedance ;)

Don’t see the benefit of combining colored devices hoping to end up with the preferred color. Better everything w/o distortion and then choose the right speaker color.
You just left 30 years of audio forum banter in the dust. I thought that what being audiophile was. Buying single use device that hopefully did one thing really well and hoping they match up.

Opposite of that might be an NAD M33 and the incredible KEF R3 Metas.

Good thought. I'd suggest some EQ or saturation effects if that's what you are looking for. Much cheaper than a new DAC, way more flexible, and reliably changes the sound.

Or change yourself. Try some THC. Magnifies "envelopment" dramatically.

Offering adjustable dampening is innovative. First Watt sells a new amp every time they change it but also half to third the price. I have certainly have a few vices but THC is not one. I can offer a few too perhaps :)

You just left 30 years of audio forum banter in the dust. I thought that what being audiophile was. Buying single use device that hopefully did one thing really well and hoping they match up.
"Audiophile" has become a pejorative these days. As to single use devices, there are really good reasons why professional audio is moving towards full integration - digital into the (active) speaker.

Amazing how people criticize other;s taste in SQ. I build a system to please me, and mainly me since it is me listening solo 99.9% of the time. I can't predict how the system will manifest itself in giving me the sound I liked. But when it did, I knew it. I got the NAD because it is transparent and lets the romantic "colored" sound of the tubes come through without adding any nasties of its own. I build my own speakers and can also tailor the sound to my liking. My advice is don't fret, rules dont mean poop. As long as you like the sound of your system thats all that matters.

Amazing how people criticize other;s taste in SQ.
Eh?
As long as you like the sound of your system thats all that matters.
That might be all that matters to you, but this forum is called "Audio Science Review" - note especially the "Science" part...

"Audiophile" has become a pejorative these days. As to single use devices, there are really good reasons why professional audio is moving towards full integration - digital into the (active) speaker.
Audiophilia has a dark side thinly veiled.

High end audio cables with batteries attached acting as RF antennas. Eu vendors on permanent vacation unwilling to service high end units in any sane time frame. Journals giving out ever glowing reviews to all new products. 15 k DACs that are virtually indistinguishable from 5k DACs where egos defend otherwise. You can find videos of Cardas cables being manufactured in house with a 2 dollar dull home depot box cutter knife by a girl that was a bar maid 6 months ago. I am not joking! While thewner has an Emelda Marcos type shoe collection. I could go on.... :oops:

Certainly, NAD M33 or M66 are compelling. I just think in 5 years' time a purifi modules on amps will all sound the same as an afterthought, well much like most well-made Class A amps have same sound with a touch of a house sound. Well made class D house sound may actually be gone in future.

Last edited:
Everyone loves a one liner I guess. Full disclosure is I have a second hand Border patrol DAC which is likely a legacy TDA R2R chip and paid 800 for it. I am completely happy with it in that I can not chase formats either.

To finish my rant on high end-- :rolleyes: Entering a stereo store I very much liken to being a kid in NYC. We would take subway way out to Coney Island sometimes. About half way out on the trip we would get of line and my friend would want to stop at a Russian diner because the waitress was hot. We were kids so kind of pointless but fun anyway Going in to diner the food was mediocre but the service is reason we went. They were so cluelessly rude it was entertaining. We would sit back and ask questions and ask for substitutions just to get the show started. It never failed to entertain while we sat back and quietly chuckled.

Going into a remaining audio store today for stereos is no different today. They snob and upsell crap you don't really need and sell stuff you can buy direct for a better value elsewhere., Obviously someone is buying it.

Would it be possible to measure the idle power consumption?

Admittedly, I might be the only one interested in this, since my thread on the subject did not get much traction. But usually it is not information that can be found in the specifications, and since many of these power amplifiers perform similarly, it could be a deciding factor.
I can tell you my Audiophonics (poweramp, switching PSU, two purifi modules and an inputboard) idles at just over 5 Watts, measured with a decent digital multimeter. The NAD might be a little higher. For comparison: my Yamaha AS1100 idles at 75 Watts (integrated, linear PSU with active pre and four mosfets per channel). I find this info very useful, and it was a big factor in my decision to swith to class D.

I think as time goes on, with the huge emphasis on energy efficiency and 'sustainability', we will see more useful manufacturer specs in relation to actual idle consumption, partial, half and full power consumption.

Idle consumption is of limited use IMO, unless you are in the habit of leaving an amplifier turned on and not using it. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it? When I stop listening, I turn off my gear.
By the time my class D makes the neighbours very afraid it still only draws half of my AB idling...

Everyone loves a one liner I guess. Full disclosure is I have a second hand Border patrol DAC which is likely a legacy TDA R2R chip and paid 800 for it. I am completely happy with it in that I can not chase formats either.

To finish my rant on high end-- :rolleyes: Entering a stereo store I very much liken to being a kid in NYC. We would take subway way out to Coney Island sometimes. About half way out on the trip we would get of line and my friend would want to stop at a Russian diner because the waitress was hot. We were kids so kind of pointless but fun anyway Going in to diner the food was mediocre but the service is reason we went. They were so cluelessly rude it was entertaining. We would sit back and ask questions and ask for substitutions just to get the show started. It never failed to entertain while we sat back and quietly chuckled.

Going into a remaining audio store today for stereos is no different today. They snob and upsell crap you don't really need and sell stuff you can buy direct for a better value elsewhere., Obviously someone is buying it.
I have literally felt a lot more welcome in a Ferrari dealership than a stereo store.

Back
Top Bottom