• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Akitika GT-108 Stereo Amplifier Kit Review

Rate this amplifier kit:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 101 46.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 99 45.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.0%

• Total voters

JasonC331

Forum Donor
So you are stating that Amir's measurements are 10dB off?
If you read the replies I posted from his emails and his summary, he shows what he measured off the shelve. This was a kit that someone submitted, it is possible, that there may be an issue with the build. Dan wouldn't say that without testing. I think the fair thing to do would get units tested that are built by him and restest.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you read the replies I posted from his emails and his summary, he shows what he measured off the shelve. This was a kit that someone submitted, it is possible, that there may be an issue with the build. Dan wouldn't say that without testing. I think the fair thing to do would get units tested that are built by him and restest.
Or you could send your unit in... this could happen in every test that's disappointing to someone. So until new measurements are posted by a neutral party, I don't buy the 83dB claim, sorry. And note u can buy into 90dB for less than 500 bucks these days.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This was a kit that someone submitted, it is possible, that there may be an issue with the build.
As far as I know, the unit was purchased preassembled. But maybe that is wrong.

NielsMayer

I wonder how this amp compares to my old B&K ST202+ MOSFET amp? (Sitting in my garage, unused, I've been using my Hypex NC400 monoblocks for years).

uf4ck5l4rioj.gif

Has the B&K ST-202+ been measured yet? It would be interesting to see the performance of this old design vs this strange "modern design" amp kit.

Vigovsky

Amirm:
Level = 0 dBrA
Decibels relative to reference level (dBr)
dBrA is an internal unit instruments

Dan:
Level ≈ - 6dBFS
dBFS refers to the definition in the AES17
(amplitude of a sine wave)

Attachments

• Tests+_ASR.jpg
    Tests+_ASR.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 35

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amirm:
Level = 0 dBrA
Decibels relative to reference level (dBr)
dBrA is an internal unit instruments

Dan:
Level ≈ - 6dBFS
dBFS refers to the definition in the AES17
(amplitude of a sine wave)
Amir explains his rationale for the measuring protocol in several videos. While personally, I may think driving stuff -on occasion- all the way to clipping for the sake of a uniform protocol is a bit unfair, it is easy to read between the lines, and establish if the measurements apply to your particular intended use case. You can't finetune measurement protocols to the particular area where the equipment measures best, it'd be a long test protocol where you first need to go through a wide iteration to find out the optimal range. It should be up to vendors/designers to say something like "If you submit this to a test protocol, these are the optimal parameters I designed this for..."... but that would narrow down the use case, which of course is not in their best interest if they intend to sell to as many people as possible.

PS: Imagine if car manufacturers published safety protocols based on their preferences, "oh most crashes happen at 10 mph so we designed this to keep bumper damage minimal" etc

Last edited:

JasonC331

Forum Donor
As far as I know, the unit was purchased preassembled. But maybe that is wrong.
Can you verify? Did you do any listening on this device or is that for mfg that sends units to you?

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Amir explains his rationale for the measuring protocol in several videos. While personally, I may think driving stuff -on occasion- all the way to clipping for the sake of a uniform protocol is a bit unfair, it is easy to read between the lines, and establish if the measurements apply to your particular intended use case. You can't finetune measurement protocols to the particular area where the equipment measures best, it'd be a long test protocol where you first need to go through a wide iteration to find out the optimal range. It should be up to vendors/designers to say something like "If you submit this to a test protocol, these are the optimal parameters I designed this for..."... but that would narrow down the use case, which of course is not in their best interest if they intend to sell to as many people as possible.

PS: Imagine if car manufacturers published safety protocols based on their preferences, "oh most crashes happen at 10 mph so we designed this for keep bumper damage minimal" etc
Well, Dan didn't send it for testing and provided his testing. How many other manufacturers have you seen do this?

I do have the Z4 4ohm version, I will reach out to @amirm about testing it, and I'll chat with Dan about the differences, as he explains one is optimized for 8 ohms 1 is for 4 ohms.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, Dan didn't send it for testing and provided his testing. How many other manufacturers have you seen do this?

I do have the Z4 4ohm version, I will reach out to @amirm about testing it, and I'll chat with Dan about the differences, as he explains one is optimized for 8 ohms 1 is for 4 ohms.
It is up to you to establish if this is worth your time, given the fact you seem to be perfectly happy with the one you have.

I am a very happy user of a product Amir slammed and didn't recommend (which is not the case here). :) I can read between the lines, and the shortcomings Amir identified were not relevant for my particular use case - where in fact the equipment performs to a very high (measured) standard, if you read through the testing protocol to the parts that matter for your particular use case.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
It is up to you to establish if this is worth your time, given the fact you seem to be perfectly happy with the one you have.

I am a very happy user of a product Amir slammed and didn't recommend (which is not the case here). :) I can read between the lines, and the shortcomings Amir identified were not relevant for my particular use case - where in fact the equipment performs to a very high (measured) standard, if you read through the testing protocol to the parts that matter for your particular use case.
Same here my Anthem isn't a great measure and I love it. What I don't want to happen to one of the few small retailers that is so nice is people see this and go well that's a POS :) I sent an email to see if he wanted to test, as I had to try out a new Aegir 2, I have never heard that style and figured I would scratch that itch.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you verify?
I asked the owner but he didn't answer. I don't want to pester him. The tone of his original offer seemed to indicate it was pre-assembled. Otherwise I usually ask for checks and balances to make sure the build is proper.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here my Anthem isn't a great measure and I love it. What I don't want to happen to one of the few small retailers that is so nice is people see this and go well that's a POS :) I sent an email to see if he wanted to test, as I had to try out a new Aegir 2, I have never heard that style and figured I would scratch that itch.
Testers will always perform their test to a standard - otherwise they would not be able to compare the SUT (system under test). Otherwise their task would be impossible. If someone tells them about corner cases they should test, sometimes they'll willingly do it. I face this in my professional life, where we always have tests performed to a standard by third parties, and sometimes we counter things saying the test protocol should be updated because of new requirements etc etc.

Tests often are orientative to see if someone has covered the engineering basics, or to establish some fundamental design issues (or even a fire hazzard. :-D) As far as I know, for HiFi there are no established standard industry tests by IEC or some other engineering organization. It's up to potental users to establish which elements of the entire test suite are most applicable to their needs. And Amir's measurements make the latter easy. I love Amir's thorough testing because it gives one the data to easily establish that, but we also know he loves big power (@ low distortion) amps and full range speakers with big SPL and linearity, the classic audiophile values (nothing wrong with that if that fits into your environment and priorities).

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty tough for me to get excited about this amp. Than you @amirm for another great review and measurements.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Pretty tough for me to get excited about this amp. Than you @amirm for another great review and measurements.
Help me understand something if you would. What numbers for a class A/B would get most excited? One user stated that Dan is using an AES standard to show his distortion numbers.

Maybe I am wrong for thinking that there should be a breakdown of the classes on amps as well.

Is there a link that I am missing with the testing protocol and settings so I can send it to the designer?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Help me understand something if you would. What numbers for a class A/B would get most excited? One user stated that Dan is using an AES standard to show his distortion numbers.

Maybe I am wrong for thinking that there should be a breakdown of the classes on amps as well.

Is there a link that I am missing with the testing protocol and settings so I can send it to the designer?
To me the class which an amp operates under is irrelevant. All that matters is the measured performance, including power. For less money one can buy an NC252 amplifier with much better measurements and lots more power. That makes this Akita amp irrelevant.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me the class which an amp operates under is irrelevant. All that matters is the measured performance, including power. For less money one can buy an NC252 amplifier with much better measurements and lots more power. That makes this Akita amp irrelevant.
It's irrelevant from the standpoint of acquiring the best amplifier for the money. It's not irrelevant from the standpoint of learning about electronics and audio equipment by assembling an amplifier for one's self.

Different objectives.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's irrelevant from the standpoint of acquiring the best amplifier for the money. It's not irrelevant from the standpoint of learning about electronics and audio equipment by assembling an amplifier for one's self.

Different objectives.
DIY is an important part of this hobby and many DIY threads get a great response here.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Different objectives.
Maybe I don't get it... but putting together a model plane doesn't make you an aeronautical engineer... and soldering together a system following 1-2-3 directions doesn't turn you into an audio system designer (although based on some of the equipment that's reviewed here, that's not an impediment to design and sell audio products, it seems :-D). There are pretty good books about audio design fundamentals.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I don't get it... but putting together a model plane doesn't make you an aeronautical engineer... and soldering together a system following 1-2-3 directions doesn't turn you into an audio system designer (although based on some of the equipment that's reviewed here, that's not an impediment to design and sell audio products, it seems :-D). There are pretty good books about audio design fundamentals.
I guess you don't get it.

I built both Heathkit and Dynaco gear when I was a young tad, and the experience got me interested in the whole hifi hobby. My uncle built me a stereo speaker in a single cabinet (not good!) that furthered my interest. I found the experience very pleasurable, which at the end of the day is what we're looking for from our hobbies.

I had no desire to be an electrical engineer nor an audio gear designer; that's not the point. The point is that hands-on fiddling with this stuff is a great way to get young people aware that there's a world of audio outside of iPhones and Bluetooth earbuds. And I salute Akitika for making this kit available.

Top Bottom