• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Akitika GT-108 Stereo Amplifier Kit Review

Rate this amplifier kit:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 101 46.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 99 45.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.0%

• Total voters

brunes

I had zero experience and managed to follow the manual and get a working amp first time and it was a great way to spend a few evenings.

Its a bit addictive though, I have since made a modulus 86 from neurochrome and a 3e audio diy. Great way to spend a few evenings and super rewarding. Perhaps great amp for a second system if you are looking at numbers (+10 sinad as you made it yourself)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
While personally, I may think driving stuff -on occasion- all the way to clipping for the sake of a uniform protocol is a bit unfair, it is easy to read between the lines, and establish if the measurements apply to your particular intended use case.

Power amplifiers and amplifiers in general are always driven to the onset of clipping. That's the number one parameter anybody wants to know first- how much power does it produce? Everything else comes after with power amplifiers.

SINAD means little if the "power" amplifier shuts down and can only produce a few watts.

However, testing the amplifier against its rated specifications is also important, but some (many) manufacturers simply don't provide comprehensive or specific enough published specs to effectively test against.

A one size fits all doesn't fit all. But special considerations shouldn't be given either. Rock and a hard place stuff.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Power amplifiers and amplifiers in general are always driven to the onset of clipping. That's the number one parameter anybody wants to know first- how much power does it produce? Everything else comes after with power amplifiers.

SINAD means little if the "power" amplifier shuts down and can only produce a few watts.

However, testing the amplifier against its rated specifications is also important, but some (many) manufacturers simply don't provide comprehensive or specific enough published specs to effectively test against.

A one size fits all doesn't fit all. But special considerations shouldn't be given either. Rock and a hard place stuff.
I only fried one amp testing to clipping. It was a Sony with a cheap STK3042 amp IC if memory serves me correctly.
Otherwise I torture tested everything to clipping and soak tested for thermal stability and runaway by monitoring the total current draw and watching for slow spikes that increase rapidly. I used a multimeter for DC powered gear and I had a DIY plastic box with an analogue AC Volts meter and an analogue AC Ammeter in it with receptacles for power cords mounted to the case. I could run 2 AC devices from it simultaneously and it also worked with the variac for even more safety when first winding up an amp to power ON. Testing to clipping on every single amp was mandatory.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... That's the number one parameter anybody wants to know first- how much power does it produce? Everything else comes after with power amplifiers.
Not me. :) Finesse is more important to me than power. Especially in the era of active subwoofers.

Eulipian

As someone who reminisces, disappointedly, for never having built a Hafler amp back in the day, for $425, I’d spend my funds elsewhere and use my saved assembly time to listen to some relaxing music on a Hypex, Purifi or TI based Class D amp.

I still use the Hafler I built as my primary power amp. It's 40+ years old and still sounds like nothing, soft or LOUD.

Pillars

I've had my GT-102 Z4 for many years. Well before several class D options were roaming about. Sounds really great and I enjoyed building it and a few for friends. I've tried to upgrade from it a few times but always came back to the punchy (colored?) sound this amp provides.

SpecialK

I've had my GT-102 Z4 for many years. Well before several class D options were roaming about. Sounds really great and I enjoyed building it and a few for friends. I've tried to upgrade from it a few times but always came back to the punchy (colored?) sound this amp provides.
I built Dan's original amplifier and his preamp eight years ago. The preamp was more difficult, and I had to send it back to Dan, and sure enough I had made a couple of errors which he promptly fixed. Most recently, I bought a built his phone section for the preamp, and it is really excellent. I am now in the process of replacing some old oxidized jacks on some of my reconditioned Dynaco equipment, and once again, his manuals are spot-on. I think the quality of his products is excellent and recently one of the stereo magazines (Stereophile?) reviewed his original amplifier and it got excellent reviews. Also, as has been pointed out, Dan is very responsive to questions, either over the phone or by email. I plan to keep using his products. My next goal will be using his kit to completely rebuild an old Dynaco Stereo 120.

Top Bottom