• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV10 AV Processor Review

Rate This AV Processor:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 80 28.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 178 63.1%

• Total voters

TimoJ

With AVRs/AVPs it's still a mystery what real life results you get when Audyssey or Dirac processing is turned on. @amirm should make a test setup that allows to run at least 2 channel room calibration and then measure thd, sinad etc. I believe that requires just a suitable audio mixer, no speakers or mic are needed.

Deckard71

That bass management part amazed me a little at the time (a few years ago) so I emailed Marantz and their response was:

Can a crossover be used and still remain 100% analog?? I doubt it

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I found this. Not sure if true, but would explain why you see no frequency response drop at the nyquist frequency and why Marantz says there is an ADC.

(Basically they split the analog signal)

I used to think that, ie a split signal is/was used in some cases; and still think that is possible, but I doubt that's what Marantz told Deckard71. If you read the Marantz response he posted before, you will probably agree with me on this. In fact I thought I posted that hypothesis too somewhere, and long time ago too, don't remember where I posted the idea, likely Audioholics.com. Still in doubt is that, the speaker small, crossover thing does not seem to be applicable to the sub only.

So, on that part we are still left with doubt, just a little doubt that is. Marantz did tell me he traced the analog crossover, so if it is analog then, puzzle solved!!

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes it can, if it is an analogue crossover.... but it is pretty unlikely in an AVR
Over the years some higher-end Denons and Marantzes have had the ability to generate subwoofer output using fixed 80Hz analogue LPF from L+R in "Direct" type modes. It would not be surprising for an absolutely top-end model like this to have that facility.

I've never seen them do more than that in the analogue domain though - so not HPF on the mains to create a full analogue crossover. I'd agree that's unlikely.

The subwoofer LPF option is satisfying a particular customer complaint of "my subwoofer doesn't do anything in Direct mode". A fair few people do seem to want "untouched audio" and "subwoofer output" simultaneously...

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Over the years some higher-end Denons and Marantzes have had the ability to generate subwoofer output using fixed 80Hz analogue LPF from L+R in "Direct" type modes. It would not be surprising for an absolutely top-end model like this to have that facility.

I've never seen them do more than that in the analogue domain though - so not HPF on the mains to create a full analogue crossover.
There is this thread as well.

Irwinroad

Gene did it a while back:

His analog input test look like the following:

I am curious as to whether or not using this test would have answered some of the questions in the discussion below especially post #460?

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Post #460 there is nonsense - there is absolutely a direct 2-channel analogue path to the L+R outputs in every Denon/Marantz I've ever seen. (Which would be mid-to-high-end ones like the 5805 or this; I won't rule out the possibility of there being a low-end one not having it).

It is less obvious than the direct multichannel analogue path because there's also the ADC->DSP path for 2-channel analogue input, whereas the multichannel input is analogue passthrough only, what with them only having 2-channel ADC except in very few top-end models. The poster there has seen the 2-channel ADC path and missed the analogue path.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am curious as to whether or not using this test would have answered some of the questions in the discussion below especially post #460?

bigguyca must have realized more later as evidence in his post on AVSF;):

[IMG alt="bigguyca"]https://www.avsforum.com/d1/avatars/s/7855/7855535.jpg?1595871778[/IMG]
bigguyca
3355 posts · Joined 2007

#604 · Jan 3, 2023
Guys don't crucify me, trust me I searched and searched and read and read...but I'm still not 100% certain of one thing: Does the AVR 10 on the XLR input (I want to hook up a streamer/DAC with balanced output like Cambridge/Arcam/Lumin/etc...still trying to figure out which one) allow an external DAC's analog output on the XLR to pass through directly to the 2ch amplifier I have connected for L & R channels (which will be a JC5 via XLR's as well)?

Basically I don't want to bother getting a separate DAC/streamer if I can't get a clean passthrough for stereo music listening on the AVR10 (don't want to deal with XLR switching, separate 2ch preamp etc).

I have the AV10 ordered but don't have it, or the amps in hand yet FYI, I am just trying to decide whether I should also order a streamer/DAC at this time.

Thank you!
The answer depends on your definition of "directly." If the AV 10 is like at least medium level and above Denon/Marantz AVR/AVP's, then there is no analog to digital to analog conversion in the AV 10 in Direct or Pure Direct modes with analog inputs.

Past the A to D to A question, you can decide from the description of the circuitry below of the AV 10 below if the word "directly" applies.

SCG

Marantz Amp 10 next, to compare with dual Buckeye Hypex NC502MP 8-channel amplifiers - as with pricing, warranty, design, fit & finish, 2 boxes vs 1, brand longevity, brand recognition for resale, international support - all being different, they definitely represent different aspects of the value proposition.

JDS

NRE (R&D) are not amortized into hardware prices. Both are a cost of doing business so are deductible from income at tax time.

Russ
I disagree. The cost of developing a product affects both its profitability and the decision to build it. Yes, R&D tax credits exist (in the US at least, but most products Amir tests are not developed here. I don't know how it works elsewhere.). If a company is choosing between launching two products, both of which will have the same BOM/labor costs, have the same transfer price and generate identical sales revenue, but one will cost $2M to develop and the other will cost $20,000, which should they build? No smart company says, "R&D costs are irrelevant -- we'll just write them off." A product is financially successful only if it delivers profit AFTER covering its development costs.

Russ_L

Forum Donor
I disagree. The cost of developing a product affects both its profitability and the decision to build it. Yes, R&D tax credits exist (in the US at least, but most products Amir tests are not developed here. I don't know how it works elsewhere.). If a company is choosing between launching two products, both of which will have the same BOM/labor costs, have the same transfer price and generate identical sales revenue, but one will cost $2M to develop and the other will cost $20,000, which should they build? No smart company says, "R&D costs are irrelevant -- we'll just write them off." A product is financially successful only if it delivers profit AFTER covering its development costs.

You replied to the wrong post. Please reply to my corrected post. Then state which fact is wrong (without rambling on and on).

Russ DTUPC maven

PS - I’ve developed many tens of millions of dollars of various products during my forty-seven year engineering career.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Yes. But with numerous amplifiers in close proximity to the balance of the circuitry I would expect (at least) 5-10 dB loss in SINAD.

Russ
I doubt it... the main loss of SINAD is to do with gain matching between different circuit components that are "off the shelf"

MinMan

@Amir - I don't understand: "As you see in both graphs, optimal output is more or less what you see in the dashboard. So don't go getting a very low gain amplifier thinking you are coming out ahead. Likely a medium gain amp is the best combination."
My system uses very efficient PHL & ViaWave drivers (95db+) and I don't anticipate a need for anything close to 200W amps - 60W may even be excessive.
Is this an exception to the above underlined recommendation?
I'm also considering the Denon AVR A1H or AVR 6800H given that my amplification is not balanced, will my system suffer diminish performance under lower voltage RCA output?
Thanks!

Top Bottom