• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 40 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 49 25.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 61.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 10.4%

• Total voters

betonven

I can almost guarantee you (would put my engineer's stamp on it lol...) that you will still be fine though if everything gets to turn on at the same time, it could trip your breaker once in the blue moon when the instantaneous current might reach a huge value (many times, like >20 times or much higher of the rated 15 A). That sort of condition could happen but very unlikely.

I prefer to use dedicated circuit for the mid, especially upper mid (your Marantz) and flagship level such as the TX-NR5010 (if yours the little 2ch M-5010 then no problem), but that's mainly because I like to follow best practices.

Those labels are only useful for comparing units within the same brand/model lines, because different manufacturers may follow different rules/standards/best practices etc., or even just their own.

Denon and Marantz follow some sort of existing standard and the best write-up I could find is one published by Gene of Audioholics.com and I have posted it a couple time before, sooner of later I need to book mark that great article for D+M users, so I don't have to search for it every time I want to post it for them.

Since you have the Marantz, you really should read it:

Especially the following section:

The sad thing about the internet/forums is that no matter how many times I post, you re-post such informative articles, people would keep on telling the internet that such and such manufacturers (could be D,M,S (Sony), Y(Yamaha), O/I/P (Onkyo, Pioneer, Integra) power outputs are BS because the power consumptions are so low based on the back labels. Those people, who really don't have enough knowledge to spread such incorrect info but they do that all the time, you wonder why we have so much fake news, misconception, hearsay, oh yeah including the so called Marantz musical/warm sound (no offence, really, happy for you that you believe you heard that), I just feel like venting a little in case I am not alone of this lol........

So, again enjoy you really nice looking and so well build Cinema 40, one of these days I may even trade in my so called separates for the Cinema 30 when I am ready to downsize, by shedding weight and got rid the cabling spaghetti and multiple big and heavy boxes that I have to carefully vacuum a few times a year.

One box, plug into one 15 or 20 amp outlet is getting tempting by the day, as someone's getting older by the day.:D
In fact, that’s the exact article that I read and alarmed me, as it stated that under (not normal of course) cases this consumption could rise to almost double than labeled. Anyway, thanks for the reassurance, I will still get that separate 20A circuit but it’s going to be a mega-project to get it to the living room, so I’m still trying to find the best way to do it.

Yes, I’m talking about the small 2-ch Onkyo, but later on I’m dreaming of a competent 5-ch (Rotel 1555 maybe?) to comfortably drive a 5-ch bed later at 4Ω (dreaming between KEF R-series or Sonus Faber) and leave the Marantz to just handle the 4 Αtmos.

About the Marantz sound, I don’t know what this is exactly (I’ve been a Denon user for the past 20 years), but these two were indeed different in a blind test. Personally, I did like the Marantz more, someone else could prefer the Denon. Maybe what sounded to me more natural and less processed is in fact some sort of smoothing to get rid of digital noise (so probably not a good thing), but on the other hand, this is what we do for pleasure, so more pleasing is the way to go.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In fact, that’s the exact article that I read and alarmed me, as it stated that under (not normal of course) cases this consumption could rise to almost double than labeled. Anyway, thanks for the reassurance, I will still get that separate 20A circuit but it’s going to be a mega-project to get it to the living room, so I’m still trying to find the best way to do it.

Yes, I’m talking about the small 2-ch Onkyo, but later on I’m dreaming of a competent 5-ch (Rotel 1555 maybe?) to comfortably drive a 5-ch bed later at 4Ω (dreaming between KEF R-series or Sonus Faber) and leave the Marantz to just handle the 4 Αtmos.

About the Marantz sound, I don’t know what this is exactly (I’ve been a Denon user for the past 20 years), but these two were indeed different in a blind test. Personally, I did like the Marantz more, someone else could prefer the Denon. Maybe what sounded to me more natural and less processed is in fact some sort of smoothing to get rid of digital noise (so probably not a good thing), but on the other hand, this is what we do for pleasure, so more pleasing is the way to go.

For clarity, when we consider the maximum, understand that we have to consider the duration as well.

For example, 15 A breakers and wires in homes have to endure >100 A, on regular basis, even >1,000 A on rare occasions, but they are designed for such overcurrent on short to extremely short (such as micro seconds) durations so not an issue. Gene was just using examples to emphasize the important point that the back panel labels are often misunderstood to mean something else.

Top Bottom