• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Marantz/Denon AVRs for Preamp only (follow up to my previous post)

ClassG33

Here's the question:

What are the best or worst Denon/Marantz AVRs right now for being used as a preamp only? Between output voltage and noise, hdmi board, processing functionality, and HDAM? I've read a lot about HDAM having noise issues in certain models. Also what is your experience with how well they operate in terms of playing nicely with hdmi sources, hdmi switching, music resolution and video quality? What should I look for? Pairing with McIntosh MC255 power amp and B&W 702s2 family surround.

Everyone in my last post was beyond helpful, thank you so much for the great input and advice ♥️

EWL5

Do you have an LG TV and plan to use eARC?

Golfx

Forum Donor
You could search through the AVS owner’s forums for yourself and find first hand examples.

pkgriffith814

I just bought the Denon A1H on accessories4less for $4K and will be running it as a pre-pro. Hard to argue with that price and 3 year warranty. I have an Anthem AVM 70 (4K) which has been great but the Dirac on my old Lexicon RV-6 seemed better for movies. I'm using analog for my music server from a SMSL M400 Dac. Running 7.2.6 in a 18x22x10 HT room. Music is great with the two Martin Logan 1100x subs blending in for the last 50hz or so.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I just bought the Denon A1H on accessories4less for $4K and will be running it as a pre-pro. Hard to argue with that price and 3 year warranty. I have an Anthem AVM 70 (4K) which has been great but the Dirac on my old Lexicon RV-6 seemed better for movies. I'm using analog for my music server from a SMSL M400 Dac. Running 7.2.6 in a 18x22x10 HT room. Music is great with the two Martin Logan 1100x subs blending in for the last 50hz or so.
You should read the AVS owners forum for the A!H. Early ones were returned for problems of sound not coming properly from surround channels. The production month was 9/23. Perhaps you have an appropriately refurbished one of those. I would read through that owners forum and test all your channels. It was an intermittent problem and may not have been caught by the refurbishing.

EWL5

You should read the AVS owners forum for the A!H. Early ones were returned for problems of sound not coming properly from surround channels. The production month was 9/23. Perhaps you have an appropriately refurbished one of those. I would read through that owners forum and test all your channels. It was an intermittent problem and may not have been caught by the refurbishing.
I've been casually collecting reports of issues of Denon units made in Japan (4800 and 6800) but I thought "surely a $6k+ product is getting the white glove treatment" and largely ignored the A1H!

Consumers have been getting less for more largely since the Pandemic and there appears to be no end in sight!

pogo

Major Contributor
Usually DM uses a low end implementation of DL at 48kHz processing. This is also sufficient for a HT application.
DL offers up to 192kHz!
Perhaps the AV10 is an exception here.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose the best pre-pro might just be the Marantz, altho more theoretical than actual? Who cares? Get the unit that makes the most sense for desired features....

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually DM uses a low end implementation of DL at 48kHz processing. This is also sufficient for a HT application.
DL offers up to 192kHz!
Perhaps the AV10 is an exception here.

To my knowledge, the vast majority of DL implementations including Storm Audio is limited to 48 kHz when dealing with something with proper Dolby/DTS processing.

The Theta Casablanca IVa did 96 kHz for multichannel up to 12 channels, but I haven’t followed what the status of the latest version is.

The original ARC was 96 kHz for 7 channels, but not sure what ARC Genesis does and I recall reading that the AV and STR line are different.

Besides sample rate, there are also the total number of filters.

Getting back to OP’s question, the AV10 is a consistent product with overall good reliability and support. The HDAMs still allow it to measure in the top tier.

The HTP-1 may do great with the McIntosh amp given your gain. It really takes a Trinnov to beat the HTP-1 in most homes.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How reliable are the HTP-1 HDMI inputs? I know they're 2.0s
I have not had trouble with my laptop with a GTX2060 and another laptop with Intel 12th Gen integrated but Amir had trouble with his HDMI (and earlier firmware). I use full HDMI CEC as well without issue.

The good is that Monoprice’s return policy is transparent and fair. You can try with your equipment.

Top Bottom