• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM90 AV Processor Review

Rate This AV Processor:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 91 46.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 84 42.6%

• Total voters

seanhyatt

As far as measurements this seems to be in the ball park of a Denon X3600 for $600.00 on ebay. Not sure how much better or worse it would sound.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I was about to leap to the defence of the AVM90, and took another look at their respective results. SINAD is 105 vs 99 dB.
Maybe we should expect more for the much higher cost, but in fairness to Anthem (and Marantz) breaking through that 100dB barrier for AV gear is quite an achievement.

However, the X3600 measured 103/104 dB with 48kHz content, which is typical of AV material (as opposed to 99dB at 44.1kHz)
Further, the AVM90 is barely 1-2dB better at DNR and IMD, and if anything the Denon is slightly better in the 32 tone test.
Audioholics took similar measurements from the Anthem MRX 740 & 1140 receivers:

It does make processors a bit difficult to justify.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
I was about to leap to the defence of the AVM90, and took another look at their respective results. SINAD is 105 vs 99 dB.
Maybe we should expect more for the much higher cost, but in fairness to Anthem (and Marantz) breaking through that 100dB barrier for AV gear is quite an achievement.

However, the X3600 measured 103/104 dB with 48kHz content, which is typical of AV material (as opposed to 99dB at 44.1kHz)
Further, the AVM90 is barely 1-2dB better at DNR and IMD, and if anything the Denon is slightly better in the 32 tone test.

Unless one wants 9.4.6 surround sound for less than $10,000

Theriverlethe

I really wish we saw more "reasonably priced" processors in the sub-$2000 market. Emotiva notoriously doesn't support their products with firmware updates, leaving the ToneWinner AT-300 as pretty much the only option.

dsd4life

I really wish we saw more "reasonably priced" processors in the sub-$2000 market. Emotiva notoriously doesn't support their products with firmware updates, leaving the ToneWinner AT-300 as pretty much the only option.
Tonewinner is comparable in sound with a AVM70

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tonewinner is comparable in sound with a AVM70
I am surprised no one has sent one into Amir for measurements. PEQ isn’t as good as the fancy Audyssey/Dirac technology but maybe it’s good enough?

dsd4life

I am surprised no one has sent one into Amir for measurements. PEQ isn’t as good as the fancy Audyssey/Dirac technology but maybe it’s good enough?
Yeah Amir reviewed the Emotiva variant of the tonewinner that lacks XLR output. If you ask a tonewinner enthusiast they would tell you have to use XLR(s) and front wides in a 9.x.4 speaker arrangement. Nothing can do this unless you get into the HTP 1 or Anthem AV70 @ 3 x the price. You have to be a REW head to get good sound from the tonewinner.

Emotiva will be releasing there 4th generation processor in Q1 (lets be honest Q2 if we are lucky) and that will redefine the processor function and value market.

Theriverlethe

Yeah Amir reviewed the Emotiva variant of the tonewinner that lacks XLR output. If you ask a tonewinner enthusiast they would tell you have to use XLR(s) and front wides in a 9.x.4 speaker arrangement. Nothing can do this unless you get into the HTP 1 or Anthem AV70 @ 3 x the price. You have to be a REW head to get good sound from the tonewinner.

Emotiva will be releasing there 4th generation processor in Q1 (lets be honest Q2 if we are lucky) and that will redefine the processor function and value market.
I mean, depending on your transducers and room acoustics you might have decent sound to begin with.

I wouldn’t buy anything remotely complex from Emotiva given their history with software updates.

dsd4life

I mean, depending on your transducers and room acoustics you might have decent sound to begin with.

I wouldn’t buy anything remotely complex from Emotiva given their history with software updates.
Sounds like a flat earther. Emotiva and Monolith paved the way for enthusiast priced processors. They will leap frog the competition in the next iteration.

Look at Arcam bailing out of the processor market.

Theriverlethe

Sounds like a flat earther. Emotiva and Monolith paved the way for enthusiast priced processors. They will leap frog the competition in the next iteration.

Look at Arcam bailing out of the processor market.
I’d put more stock in Monolith at this point.

Descartes

Major Contributor
The caveat is that home Atmos encodings may be of the fixed/static variety like many Disney 4k Blu-ray releases up until the most recent. That basically means they told the Atmos encoder to create a 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 channel-based track rather than one with scalable, dynamic 3D objects. If that's the case and you have an Atmos processor with more potential speaker outputs than the fixed Atmos soundtrack, some speakers will remain silent.

It can be a crapshoot, unfortunately.

When mixed and encoded properly, Dolby Atmos can be fantastic.

DTS has DTS:X, but the home version is limited to 7.1.4. DTS added DTS:X Pro that uses upmixing techniques to expand the speaker output capability.

Sadly, Anthem decided not to include DTS:X Pro to their greater than 7.1.4 decoder products.
Anthem said that they are still working on DTS:X

Atmosphered

Where is this in the Atmos spec? I have never heard that there are options to "hard code" an Atmos file for a specific configuration. That seems to go against one of the primary benefits of Atmos tools. To just place the sound where you want it and let the client system determine the discreet channels at run time.
The settings for a static encode are within the Dolby Atmos Production Suite software. You can lock the mix to fixed speaker configurations or you can allow for dynamic object encoding.

Atmosphered

Anthem said that they are still working on DTS:X
When did they say this? The last I checked, they had gone silent on the matter of DTS: X Pro.

As for the Monoprice HTP-1 they have that on the schedule right after Dirac ART is implemented and that was stated by the head of Monolith gear development.

Their in-house HTP-1 is running the DTS: X Pro software right now and they have to integrate it with the processor's GUI, so at least it's able to work in the unit without needing a new DSP chip.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
When did they say this? The last I checked, they had gone silent on the matter of DTS: X Pro.

As for the Monoprice HTP-1 they have that on the schedule right after Dirac ART is implemented and that was stated by the head of Monolith gear development.

Their in-house HTP-1 is running the DTS: X Pro software right now and they have to integrate it with the processor's GUI, so at least it's able to work in the unit without needing a new DSP chip.
I spoke with their customer service rep a few months back!

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I spoke with their customer service rep a few months back!
Someone working a phone in a call center is in no position to be privy to release schedules or development plans. The thing is...they've been promising DTS X Pro and Roon for over 3 years at this point. As long as they keep stating "Coming Soon" or stay silent, they are not on the hook to deliver anything, ever. "Soon" to them could be the year 2100 for all we know.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Someone working a phone in a call center is in no position to be privy to release schedules or development plans. The thing is...they've been promising DTS X Pro and Roon for over 3 years at this point. As long as they keep stating "Coming Soon" or stay silent, they are not on the hook to deliver anything, ever. "Soon" to them could be the year 2100 for all we know.
Fair enough! Who knows?

Descartes

Major Contributor
Looking for proud owner of the AVM90 willing to post pictures of their system!

Top Bottom