• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith HTP-1 AV Processor Measurements (June 2023 Firmware + User Testing)

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But on the other hand... they didn't fix it themselves in a timely manner. Where would the product be without the custom firmware made by a user?

Doesn’t matter. You can only judge a product based upon all of the available information at a specific point in time.

Bass EQ is great. How great is the fact that there was a person who
1) likes BassEQ
2) Is an experienced software programmer
3) created a custom interface and open sourced it and gives it out freely

Part of the reason TO buy something like the HTP-1 is that it is NOT locked down, allowing the community to do this kind of modification and instead of Monoprice locking it down, they actually adopted it!

I would still take a Trinnov or Storm Audio over the HTP-1, but you gotta take it in the context of price.

Would you rather have a Storm Audio with a quartet of Klipsch The Sevens at $20K or a HTP-1 with a quartet of Meyer Sound Amie’s for the same $20k in a 4.0 setup?

Atmosphered

I'm about to hook my new HTP-1 up to my system tomorrow. I'm a bit new when it comes to all this talk of maximizing the dynamic range and SINAD of the HTP-1 and using the gain sensitivity setting to help.

My trouble is that I have a mix of amps right now, and so I am a bit flummoxed as to how I should set the HTP-1 (and also gain level match as best I can given the disparate input voltages).

The 4 ohm rated LCR speaker amp is a Purifi 3-channel unit with three 4 ohm gain choices of: 25.5dB/2.17Vrms (High), 20.5dB/3.89Vrms (Medium), 15.5dB/6.93Vrms (Low)

The second amp is an Outlaw Audio Model 7140 with an input sensitivity of 1.2 Volts for Full Rated Output.

The third amp is an Outlaw Audio Model 5000 (RCA only). 1 Volt input sensitivity.

I was told on another site that I should go with around 2 Volts on the HTP-1 sensitivity setting if I used XLR to RCA adapter cables that halved the output power going to the 7140 and 5000 to help match the gain levels between amps. Does that sound correct?

The 7140 manual said to use shorting pins on Pins 1 and 3 of the XLR inputs if using the RCA connections. Is that necessary if the XLR to RCA cables are wired correctly or are the pins a safety precaution?

I hope I made sense here. Thanks for your assistance!

Last edited:
OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm about to hook my new HTP-1 up to my system tomorrow. I'm a bit new when it comes to all this talk of maximizing the dynamic range and SINAD of the HTP-1 and using the gain sensitivity setting to help.

My trouble is that I have a mix of amps right now, and so I am a bit flummoxed as to how I should set the HTP-1 (and also gain level match as best I can given the disparate input voltages).

The 4 ohm rated LCR speaker amp is a Purifi 3-channel unit with three 4 ohm gain choices of: 25.5dB/2.17Vrms (High), 20.5dB/3.89Vrms (Medium), 15.5dB/6.93Vrms (Low)

The outlaw has a gain of 29 dB, so the Purifi at 25.5 dB will be decently close since it'll see twice the voltage. You don't have to stress about matching the gain levels since you won't be using identical speakers at identical distances, so the processor will correct the levels appropriately.

The key is what you're listening to and how loud you want to be. You can use the SPL calculator here: http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html

In the high gain mode, when the HTP-1 is outputting 2.1V, it will end up at 40V (40*40/4 = 400 watts).
To hit 6 watts, which is probably loud, the HTP-1 is outputting 0.27V at the pre-amp stage. ~93 dB SINAD

In the medium gain mode, when the HTP-1 is outputting 3.8V, it will end up at 40V (40*40/4 = 400 watts).
To hit 6 watts, which is probably loud, the HTP-1 is outputting 0.47V at the pre-amp stage. ~96 dB SINAD

In the low gain mode, when the HTP-1 runs out of steam at 4.1V, it will end up at 24.4V. Your Purifi will never be asked to put out more than 150 watts.
To hit 6 watts, which is probably loud, the HTP-1 is outputting 0.84V at the pre-amp stage. >100 dB SINAD

For your 29 dB Outlaw, it needs 0.17V to hit 6 watts. ~89 dB SINAD if you had configured your HTP-1 to limit itself to 2.2V. ~85 dB guesstimate if you set it up for 4.1V max.

So, long story short,
1) If 150W of clean power is loud enough for your front channels, I'd set your HTP-1 for "7V" maximum and your Purifi at the lowest gain, so that it outputs a high voltage to your LCR speakers which is the most important. At 95 dB SINAD at 0.56V, that's great. The super-expensive Trinnov only hits 92 dB SINAD at that lower level.

2) If 6 watts of power gives you 90 dB of SPL with your speakers/distances, then all of this is academic since everything breaks the 90 dB SINAD threshold. You can imagine that if 6 watts of power gets you to 85 dB of volume and your noise and distortion is at -93 dB, then it's purely academic since the noise/distortion should be negative dB (below 0).

You basically have to make a table to figure out what gives you your best SINAD are your target listening volume while still giving you enough headroom for 20 dB of swing.

Lets you input your pre-amp output voltage, use the gain reported by the amplifiers to get the voltage at the speaker stage, and then you can do voltage squared divided by resistance = watts

The 7140 manual said to use shorting pins on Pins 1 and 3 of the XLR inputs if using the RCA connections. Is that necessary if the XLR to RCA cables are wired correctly or are the pins a safety precaution?
Yes, you need to do this.*

The manual says so. But this is important if your Outlaw is a true balanced amp. If it's a true balanced amp (and not just a balanced amp that converts to single ended), when you don't have the jumper, the negative input of the amp is floating which could drop your gain.

But you have an HTP-1 with XLR outputs. "Cables" don't matter in the sense of fancy materials, but XLR has benefits. You should very much spend the money to use XLR cables to the Outlaw amplifier.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was told on another site that I should go with around 2 Volts on the HTP-1 sensitivity setting if I used XLR to RCA adapter cables that halved the output power going to the 7140 and 5000 to help match the gain levels between amps. Does that sound correct?

I hope I made sense here. Thanks for your assistance!

For simplicity, set it to 2 V. After you run Dirac, the levels between channels should be all balanced anyway. About the 7140 shorting pins, is there a pic in the manual? I don't see any such pins on the back from the website info. I would think you are right, if you buy the right XLR to RCA cables such as Monoprice's premier series, the pins would have be wired correctly. I used those cables a few times on different amps, never came across any issue.

Atmosphered

For simplicity, set it to 2 V. After you run Dirac, the levels between channels should be all balanced anyway. About the 7140 shorting pins, is there a pic in the manual? I don't see any such pins on the back from the website info. I would think you are right, if you buy the right XLR to RCA cables such as Monoprice's premier series, the pins would have be wired correctly. I used those cables a few times on different amps, never came across any issue.
There are included shorting pins. The manual says to put the pins across 1 and 3 on the XLR inputs. It also says by using them with the RCA inputs it raises the gain and helps cut down on noise, but does not mention if the gain is pushed above the stated 1.2V in the specs. I would assume the pins are there because the 7140 doesn't have a flip switch to toggle between the XLR and RCA inputs.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are included shorting pins. The manual says to put the pins across 1 and 3 on the XLR inputs. It also says by using them with the RCA inputs it raises the gain and helps cut down on noise, but does not mention if the gain is pushed above the stated 1.2V in the specs. I would assume the pins are there because the 7140 doesn't have a flip switch to toggle between the XLR and RCA inputs.
I thought it had the switches. Anyway, you can't go wrong folowing their instructions. As to gain increase, I highly doubt that, but you can find out easily. I don't trust Outlaws documentation/website info, I found that they were not always accurate.

Top Bottom