• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Marantz AV8805 AV Processor

Krunok

Major Contributor
I don't want to belabor this point, but there are other settings, such as double-bass, available in pure direct mode.

Not acccording to the manual.

. Therefore, Pure Direct *may* perform an A/D conversion based on other settings.

In Pure direct mode signal processor is off so what would be the logic in converting signal to digital when you can't process it? ;)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, that does seem to be the case.

BTW, @Blumlein 88 measured the 7701 to be exactly the same in the Direct mode and Pure Direct mode???
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tz-avr-7701-dac-measurements.3485/#post-84100

That makes sense. Since, turning off some video (but not HDMI inputs) might help on the margins, it is really a marketing feature. Not quite as bad as the copper base :p.

Oppo manages to achieve excellent performance measurements with the video on. They also have a Pure mode but it serves the purpose of turning off the front panel display that uselessly scrolls "screen saver" which using the DAC in.
I could never convince Oppo to remove scrolling "screen saver" from the front panel, it only has value when the screen is off :p ;)

- Rich

Krunok

Major Contributor
Look at the violet part, this is how they implement "Direct" mode on pretty much all AVRs. Signal from analog inputs is routed to the relay (IC717), then to volume control (IC706), tone control (IC709) and to the opamp output buffer (IC712). As you can see Multi input FR and FL signlas are routed through the exactly same path (path for FL shown in blue):

Capture.JPG

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't want to belabor this point, but there are other settings, such as double-bass, available in pure direct mode. I doubt there is additional analog circuitry to accomplish this. Therefore, Pure Direct *may* perform an A/D conversion based on other settings.

On these processors, the 7.1 analog inputs are the only ones guaranteed to remain analog, there is no A/D hardware for them.

- Rich

That is not correct. The Double bass function does not need ADC/DAC or DSP. Yes, in pure direct you can select "double bass", that is LFE+Main but in actuality, it really isn't LFE anymore once you are in direct/pure direct mode because the bass management functions are disabled in those two modes.

I read the schematics more than once just to be sure too. There is a selector to select "go direct to the preamp/vol control ICs, or through ADC path. The schematics does not show what control the selector positions, but it is logical to think that it is done via the mode selection of stereo, direct and pure direct.

Think about a simple analog only integrated amp, you can hook it up to power a powered subwoofer too just the same.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Look at the violet part, this is how they implement "Direct" mode on pretty much all AVRs. Signal from analog inputs is routed to the relay (IC717), then to volume control (IC706), tone control (IC709) and to the opamp output buffer (IC712). As you can see Multi input FR and FL signlas are routed through the exactly same path (path for FL shown in blue):

View attachment 28941

Thanks, I wish I could post the ones for the Marantz/Denon schematics but I am not sure about the copy right thing. The AV8805's are downloadable by anyone who cares to search and it clearly shows how the line input signal "could" be routed directly to the preamp/vol control IC via a multi-selector IC.

Since it is easily searchable on the www so I see no reason why it can't be linked here. If not, I am counting on our moderator to delete it for me.

Page 50 is a good starting point as it is in block diagram form so Rich can easily follow.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Thanks, I wish I could post the ones for the Marantz/Denon schematics but I am not sure about the copy right thing. The AV8805's are downloadable by anyone who cares to search and it clearly shows how the line input signal "could" be routed directly to the preamp/vol control IC via a multi-selector IC.

No problem. They all cook the soup using the same recipe, don't they? :D

Krunok

Major Contributor
That is not correct. The Double bass function does not need ADC/DAC or DSP. Yes, in pure direct you can select "double bass", that is LFE+Main but in actuality, it really isn't LFE anymore once you are in direct/pure direct mode because the bass management functions are disabled in those two modes.

I read the schematics more than once just to be sure too. There is a selector to select "go direct to the preamp/vol control ICs, or through ADC path. Obviously schematics do show what control the selector positions, for that but it is logical to think that it is done via the mode selection of stereo, direct and pure direct.

Think about a simple analog only integrated amp, you can hook it up to power a powered subwoofer too just the same.

Exactly. Here is how it looks with Rotel (yellow section):

Capture.JPG

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
"Sound recorded in source is played as is. "
This really says nothing substantive.

Krunok

Major Contributor
"Sound recorded in source is played as is. "
This really says nothing substantive.

:facepalm:

Here is a link to the AV8805 service manual, so help yourself - it should be a piece of cake for Stereophile Senior Contributing Editor.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't want to belabor this point, but there are other settings, such as double-bass,
What is the double bass mode, I'm not familiar with it?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Working my way through it.

If it is still about pure direct/direct not going through ADC, start with page 50, that is a simple block diagram and you will see the two paths, one go to ADC, the other straight/"direct" to preamp/vol control, via the NJU72750 analog switch.

Krunok

Major Contributor
If it is still about pure direct/direct not going through ADC, start with page 50, that is a simple block diagram and you will see the two paths, one go to ADC, the other straight/"direct" to preamp/vol control, via the NJU72750 analog switch.

You can freely post a snapshot of the schematics here as I did with Rotel as Marantz published schematics publicly on their web site so there is no copyright protection.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can freely post a snapshot of the schematics here as I did with Rotel as Marantz published schematics publicly on their web site so there is no copyright protection.

Sounds logical, I kept thinking about hifiengine.com's, but this one is indeed directly from Marantz.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yup. I saw that.

Attachments

• Page50 from Marantz av8805_eng_sm_v01.pdf
    609.9 KB · Views: 331

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Did you find the hardware present to route the mains to the subs with double-bass enabled?
Is there hardware that also avoids DSP's when bi-amp is enabled?

Clearly, the XLR inputs can be without A/D but with Pure Direct, but it is unclear if other functions trigger A/D conversion. It seems like that would be the simplest implementation.

- Rich

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Since it is easily searchable on the www so I see no reason why it can't be linked here. If not, I am counting on our moderator to delete it for me.

Page 50 is a good starting point as it is in block diagram form so Rich can easily follow.

https://www.us.marantz.com/documentmaster/us/av8805_eng_sm_v01.pdf
Great link - and a very complex unit. First time I see the schematics of the HDAM.

I would like to compare this incarnation of HDMA with the one in my old AV7701, but I couldn't find a link (except to shops which sell). Any idea where to get one for free?

bigguyca

Did you find the hardware present to route the mains to the subs with double-bass enabled?
Is there hardware that also avoids DSP's when bi-amp is enabled?

Clearly, the XLR inputs can be without A/D but with Pure Direct, but it is unclear if other functions trigger A/D conversion. It seems like that would be the simplest implementation.

- Rich

With its signal switching capabilities all things are possible in the AV8805. Testing of these various signal flows is even included in the service manual. Unfortunately based on the AV8805 user manual, all 2ch (not 7.1 external inputs) playback goes through the attenuation/ADC/DAC chain.

ADC/DAC Signal Chain

Specifically this chain is -8.5 dB attenuation of the analog signal using an active opamp circuit with NJR (NJM2115) opamps and +/- 2.5 rail voltages(!) and less than great specifications. This gain reduction is to fit the signal within the 1V capabilities of the just OK AKM (AK5358B) ADC. After the ADC the signal goes to the NJR CMOS switches and CMOS volume control. This is no way to treat a nice analog signal.

2ch Playback

In the AV8805 user manual Page 240.

o "Select the method for ... 2-channel Playback direct and stereo playback modes - No distinction between digital and analog is given

(in other locations in the manual, direct and pure direct are given as the same in this area)

o Speaker size can be set

o SW Mode seems indicate digital processing

o Distance can be set which is hard to do in the analog domain

Page 50 of the manual is does not provide a clear answer, it just shows levels with digital or ADC signals inputs. Note the -8.5dB mentioned above.

The fact that this signal flow is not made clear in the user or service manuals also suggests that the ADC system is used. Higher-end users won't be happy with this design.

XLR Inputs

XLR inputs first go to a three opamp circuit that reduces the signal level by 6dB and converts it to single-ended. The resistors used in these circuits are 5% tolerance with means that common mode noise reduction from the differential amplifier function won't be great. The resistors are also thick film surface mount units that have extra noise (over Johnson noise) and distortion. As an overall note: Newer units such as the AV7705 use 1% thin film resistors in key locations, such as the differential amplifiers after the DAC's, which don't have these drawbacks.

There is no indication that XLR inputs take any different path in the AV8805 than stereo inputs.

Why would Denon/Marantz treat analog signals in the manner? My guess, YMMV, is that D/M is worried about what some users will connect to the analog inputs. Tube preamps often have high RCA output levels as do other components. The switches and volume control in these units are CMOS based. CMOS is great except it doesn't like high voltages. The voltage supply to these CMOS units is 7V DC, which is likely about all they want so see anywhere. A 6V AC sine wave input would have 8.4V peaks for example, which might causes damage. The signal input limit of the volume control is just over 4V, so care is necessary.

The 8 (7.1) external inputs are an exception, this is likely because the assumption is that the 8-channel RCA outputs feeding these inputs are from say a Blu-Ray player than will have about a 2V maximum output on each channel. In addition, 8 ADC circuits would be required instead of just 2 and that would cost money. In the user manual the 7.1 channel input is labeled for use by a Blu-ray player, DVD player, etc, not stereo.

Top Bottom