• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @COOKIE POWER! Welcome to ASR.

Have you seen Matias' Amplifier SINAD sheet?
It's a very helpful resource for choosing Power Amps.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you want to replace the Fosi? And why do you want to spend $700 to do it? I think a better question might be "I have $700 to improve my system, where can I best allocate that sum to materially improve it?' My bet is it would not be on an amp, but maybe DSP or, for a bit more, speakers, or even room treatment, or a sub.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That speaker says to use an amp with "At least 50W per channel into 4 Ohms" but, in lieu of more detail, I'd be surprised if they could handle any more than that. The 'tweeter' full-range is rated for 20w and the 'sub' is rated for 50. It's not very efficient either for a full-range (I assume this was to let the 'sub' keep up) so I imagine if your concern is loudness, it's because the speaker doesn't have the power handling for more, and turning up the volume will just make it compress / sound bad.

Your existing Fosi can handle that load and I'm not sure a new amp would get you any noticeable change. If you were to swap speakers it might be a different deal.

OP
C

COOKIE POWER

Hi @COOKIE POWER! Welcome to ASR.

Have you seen Matias' Amplifier SINAD sheet?
It's a very helpful resource for choosing Power Amps.

thx :D
Why do you want to replace the Fosi? And why do you want to spend $700 to do it? I think a better question might be "I have $700 to improve my system, where can I best allocate that sum to materially improve it?' My bet is it would not be on an amp, but maybe DSP or, for a bit more, speakers, or even room treatment, or a sub.
I want to try something better and if it doesnt i can resell it or return. Room treatment and other stuff i intend to do at a later date :D
That speaker says to use an amp with "At least 50W per channel into 4 Ohms" but, in lieu of more detail, I'd be surprised if they could handle any more than that. The 'tweeter' full-range is rated for 20w and the 'sub' is rated for 50. It's not very efficient either for a full-range (I assume this was to let the 'sub' keep up) so I imagine if your concern is loudness, it's because the speaker doesn't have the power handling for more, and turning up the volume will just make it compress / sound bad.

Your existing Fosi can handle that load and I'm not sure a new amp would get you any noticeable change. If you were to swap speakers it might be a different deal.
With fosi on max and increasing volume through dac i listen to music its on 25% - 50% (depending on what kind of music) and speakers could handle allmost full throttle on fosi but i heard some distorsion and decided not to go louder(dk if its amp or speakers).
With movies i have to turn up up to 45% - 70% or so.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to try something better
I went through the whole cycle. All I can say is that if I could give my younger self advice, it would be to get a decent system and just save money for speakers.

I have played at the McIntosh, Accuphase, and Marantz Reference level of gear and today I run active speakers.

You don’t have to go the route of active speakers, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have spent less time on the electronics and more time on speakers. Not because the electronics didn’t give me meaningful upgrades. They did. But because once I made a huge leap with speakers, I could downgrade my electronics tremendously and still come out ahead.

OP
C

COOKIE POWER

I went through the whole cycle. All I can say is that if I could give my younger self advice, it would be to get a decent system and just save money for speakers.

I have played at the McIntosh, Accuphase, and Marantz Reference level of gear and today I run active speakers.

You don’t have to go the route of active speakers, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have spent less time on the electronics and more time on speakers. Not because the electronics didn’t give me meaningful upgrades. They did. But because once I made a huge leap with speakers, I could downgrade my electronics tremendously and still come out ahead.
I know i should spend most on speakers, but i want to make my own.
Later i will change fullrange driver and tinker with it but now i just want amp that is better than fosi v3.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Later i will change fullrange driver and tinker with it but now i just want amp that is better than fosi v3.

Look at my $90 vs $9000 integrated amp review where I compared the Marantz PM-10 against the Fosi v3.

Go upgrade your driver! That makes a difference.

Last edited:

OldTimer

People tend to ignore the first most important thing which is the source. If you’re listening to music then FLAC files 24 bit 192 Khz. And if you’re watching movies then DTS movies, not Dolby.
Not just amp and speakers. First, your source.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
People tend to ignore the first most important thing which is the source. If you’re listening to music then FLAC files 24 bit 192 Khz. And if you’re watching movies then DTS movies, not Dolby.
Maybe the OP should only listen to music that is recorded in the finest studios with the best mics and musicians ? Keep away from rock and roll and stick to jazz and classical where the instrument separation is best.

Svend P

This is the old Linn nonsense from when they didn't make speakers.

Most of the time, people can't even hear a difference between CD and mp3

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I'm not saying you need to spend a bunch more or that you can't DIY speakers, but part of the characteristics of full-range drivers is that their limitations specifically can't be mitigated with a bunch of additional amplifier power and/or EQ. To get more output and efficiency with a FR you would have to increase your driver size, but rapidly you will end up with loss of high frequency output and increased beaming, and a big FR driver still tends to need help on the bass.

You can buy an amp that is more capable (or just fancier) than the Fosi but it is unlikely to add capability to your system,

OldTimer

This is the old Linn nonsense from when they didn't make speakers.

Most of the time, people can't even hear a difference between CD and mp3

It’s not the people but the system can not differentiate it. People can only hear from system, cannot differentiate.

Svend P

It’s not the people but the system can not differentiate it. People can only hear from system, cannot differentiate.
Please provide some kind of statistics that shows there is a huge difference between 16 and 24 bit.

In the mean time, read this:

OldTimer

Please provide some kind of statistics that shows there is a huge difference between 16 and 24 bit.

In the mean time, read this:

Statistics? People prefer to listen to Qobuz (hires music) than Spotify (mp3).

delta76

Major Contributor
sorry what?
after 16 bit 48kHz I'd seriously doubt anyone can hear a difference. Especially if not in state-of-the-art recording room with the best-money-can-buy equipment.
Definitely not on a DIY speakers with Fosi v3 amp.

Top Bottom