• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Difference between Audiophonics MPA-S250NC and HPA-S250NC

Nicolas_

Hi all,

I'm considering pairing a WiiM Pro + with either one of these two Hypex Ncore amplifiers :

The first is described as a "stereo/large single mono dual amplifier [...] based on a duo of Hypex NCore NC250MP modules"
The second, as a "stereo amplifier based on an (single, I presume) amplification module Hypex Ncore NC252MP"

I don't have the technical knowledge to understand the difference in practical use, can someone explain?
I've asked Audiophonics directly and they left me confused, it seems like they are saying the sound difference would be imperceptible, and that one is double the price as the other because it's more expensive to produce...

Are they made for different usages?

Overseas

Major Contributor
I like Audiophonics, but they must understand how to present products, unless they go for a technical niche market.

As long as they probably have a waiting list, positioning and presenting products properly for lay clients will not be a priority.

StigErik

Forum Donor
The main difference is that the dual-mono NC250MP-based amp can deliver twice as much output power. Apart from that, no difference other than price and chassis size.

I friend of mine ordered two MPA-S250NC, which were delivered in just two days. Apparently no waiting lists.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The main difference is that the dual-mono NC250MP-based amp can deliver twice as much output power.
It cannot.
Both Audiophonics amps will output 2x 250W @4Ω.
IMG_20240117_145914.jpg

StigErik

Forum Donor
Well. I'm not so sure since both the dual-channel NC252MP and the single-channel NC250MP has the same power supply.

Amir measured the NC252MP to about 190W in 4 ohm with both channels driven. I've not seen any independent measurements on the NC250MP yet.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well. I'm not so sure
Pity, because I am.;)
Amir measured the NC252MP to about 190W in 4 ohm with both channels driven
It's clearly higher, since we're talking here about continuous power, which is <1% THD+N, not power before clipping, which Amir points in his THD+N VS Power graphs.

I've not seen any independent measurements on the NC250MP yet.
The datasheet is reliable enough. ;)

Last edited:

StigErik

Forum Donor
I stand corrected. Again... :oops:
I made assumptions regarding Hypex based on my disappointing experiences with ICEpower I guess.

Overseas

Major Contributor
From OP point of view, the stereo cheaper one would be absolutely ok for his use.

The dual mono is a 'luxury' product from technical point if view but with same utility as the stereo.

OP
Nicolas_

Nicolas_

Thank you, so same power output confirmed.
Basically, the dual mono does "the same job" as the single stereo one, but with better separation, would that be it?

Also considered: ?
No, I missed that one, thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a look at it.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I stand corrected. Again... :oops:
I made assumptions regarding Hypex based on my disappointing experiences with ICEpower I guess.
I do think that both give fairly repeatable AP measurements by third-party, when comparing with their own datasheets. Mostly. Their THD+N VS Frequency on the other hand, is often optimistic.

OP
Nicolas_

Nicolas_

From OP point of view, the stereo cheaper one would be absolutely ok for his use.

The dual mono is a 'luxury' product from technical point if view but with same utility as the stereo.
That's what I kinda gathered from the answers here, yes.
There are a couple of second hand HPA that I found, and they're offered for less than 500€. But I guess it's better, for me, to buy a new MPA for less still, or wait for a used one for even less

Overseas

Major Contributor
Thank you, so same power output confirmed.
Basically, the dual mono does "the same job" as the single stereo one, but with better separation, would that be it?

No, I missed that one, thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a look at it.
Hope you do not think 'separation' as a sound attribute. It is just physically constructively separation. Effect on sound?! Very debateable.

OP
Nicolas_

Nicolas_

Hope you do not think 'separation' as a sound attribute. It is just physically constructively separation. Effect on sound?! Very debateable.
I imagined it meant lower level of crosstalk - is that correct?

StigErik

Forum Donor
I do think that both give fairly repeatable AP measurements by third-party, when comparing with their own datasheets. Mostly. Their THD+N VS Frequency on the other hand, is often optimistic.
I should have read the datasheet before I purchased a lot of ICEpower 2000AS2 modules....

The sales department says this:
ICE1.png

While the truth is more like this:

ICE2.png

Top Bottom