• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Difference between Audiophonics MPA-S250NC and HPA-S250NC

ovi

A look at the images of both products is also quite revealing:

audiophonics-mpa-s250nc-rca-power-amplifier-class-d-stereo-ncore-nc252mp-2x250w-4-ohm.jpg

vs

audiophonics-hpa-s250nc-power-amplifier-class-d-stereo-ncore-nc250mp-2x250w-4-ohm.jpg

Overseas

Major Contributor

vs
Welll... it is not revealing for lay listeners like me. That is what I am trying to say. I know it is hard for technical people to put themselves in our shoes.

OP
Nicolas_

Nicolas_

There is also this beast, for which, as far as I can tell, the only difference compared to the MPA is the XLR inputs?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well...That's one dual channel module VS two mono channel, really nothing revealing to me. ;) But if you wonder, the bigger will deal better with heat dissipation.
There is also this beast, for which, as far as I can tell, the only difference compared to the MPA is the XLR inputs?
There once were two MPAs, one with XLR, the other with RCA. The new chassis now includes both inputs, while having another (larger) form factor. That's all.
I should have read the datasheet before I purchased a lot of ICEpower 2000AS2 modules....

The sales department says this:
View attachment 342550

While the truth is more like this:

View attachment 342551
The way I understand it, it's 2000W short-term (my 1200AS2 claimed 1200W, mono, but for 90 seconds before the module shuts down). This seems to state without shutdown. Meaning 290W... forever?

Last edited:
OP
Nicolas_

Nicolas_

There once were two MPAs, one with XLR, the other with RCA. The new chassis now includes both inputs, while having another (larger) form factor. That's all.
Got it, makes sense.

None of these have a sub out as far as I can make out, though the integrated amp versions (DA- and DAW- ) do. Does that mean that if using those power amps in a 2.1 setup, the sub out must be on the preamp? But the WiiM Pro+ doesn't have one... No way to use a (powered) sub with the combination I had in mind?

StigErik

Forum Donor
Well...That's one dual channel module VS two mono channel, really nothing revealing to me. ;) But if you wonder, the bigger will deal better with heat dissipation.

The way I understand it, it's 2000W short-term (my 1200AS2 claimed 1200W, mono, but for 90 seconds before the module shuts down). This seems to state without shutdown. Meaning 290W... forever?

This is a bit off topic, but anyway..
The 2000AS2 datasheet states different power levels depending on their duration. With one channel driven it can deliver 2000W for just 20 ms. That's equal to a single period of 50 Hz sinewave. With both channels driven, it can deliver 2x700W for 150 ms, but only at frequencies 50 Hz or higher. When those limits are exceeded, it goes into protection mode. Not exactly useful for powering subwoofers...

In my experience, the real world limit of the 2000AS2 is around 2x300W when used to drive subwoofers where the signal might be as low as 10-15 Hz, and power bursts are a lot longer than 150 ms.

It's a bit ironic that the old 1000ASP could deliver more than 1000W continuously for several minutes before it entered protection.

Last edited:

Gambertuni

Forum Donor
Absolutely not. Difference between NC252MP and NC250MP is the fact that you deal with separate modules, with supposedly better separation and longevity for modules SMPS.
Apologies if my question is a bit out of the topic, but I found your remark quite revealing and made me wonder: do you think that two mono purifi amps will have better separation and longevity than the one commented here, the 1 ET-400A? I'm asking because getting two monos at Audiophonics is almost the same price and it might be a better option...
Otherwise, what would someone go after when choosing monoblocks instead of a stereo amp? The possibility of using longer cables with balanced connections?

Rotor

Forum Donor
The first is described as a "stereo/large single mono dual amplifier [...] based on a duo of Hypex NCore NC250MP modules"
The second, as a "stereo amplifier based on an (single, I presume) amplification module Hypex Ncore NC252MP"

Are they made for different usages?

Apart from what others have mentioned, the first one has both balanced inputs and RCA.

The direct comparison would be with this 2ch version that also has balanced and RCA. (I bought one recently and I am very happy with it)

Top Bottom