• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGP1 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 62 18.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 255 77.3%

• Total voters

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a class G (AB+ voltage pump).
Okay, but Benchmark claims Class H:

Unique features of the Benchmark AHB2
  • Linear class-AB amplifier with parallel class-A feed-forward amplifier
  • Patented THX AAA low-distortion topology.
  • Class-H tracking rails extend output power and voltage while maintaining high efficiency”

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding looks, if Soncoz stays around, the looks might get better. As a Bryston fan, I can see a definite improvement from the original 4B to the current 4B^3. The price in real dollars went up, too - by 33%, inflation adjusted from 1978.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Okay, but Benchmark claims Class H
Yes have seen that and quoted same before... however that was prior to @John_Siau from Benchmark making this comment;
The AHB2 has a class-A/B output section with dual bipolar output rails (class-G). A class-A correction amplifier provides feed-forward correction. The main amplifier and correction amplifier are passively summed at the output.

JSmith

D

Deleted member 48726

Some of their speakers look nice (but so do other brands) but check out this $250,000 speaker:

img_approfondimenti-10.jpg

This is what you say you would be proud to have in your living room???
Your fringe case of esoteric speaker is exception to the rule.

Sonus Faber IN GENERAL makes nice looking and built speakers.

1693885676004.png
1693885707986.png
1693885743947.png

nawfal07

Yes, finally a real candidate. Added to my list. Thank you so much @amirm !

alter4

Might be stupid but how to change volume level for such amplifier without volume regulator?

alter4

I don't think every DAC has true output level regulator, i think they have just digital one.

anome

Did not say every DAC, nor method of attenuation. I drive a Boxem 4215/E2 from a DO100. I have a Yamaha T1 Tuner I bought back in 1978 with a variable output, I would less inclined to such a setup, but presumably it would work fine with a few constraints.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't think every DAC has true output level regulator, i think they have just digital one.
And those work just as well if not better.

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
Metric #1: Thermal hotspots
Heat. It would be great if reviewers used a FLIR to assess electronics under standardized conditions. They're not crazy expensive and it's sort of cool that in the USA, we can buy export controlled gear like this as ordinary citizens.

@amirm and @John Atkinson : Flir is having a discount on this right now:

I use an inexpensive Mastercool 52224-A-SP infrared thermometer for my amplifier testing - https://www.tequipment.net/Mastercool/52224-A-SP/IR-Thermometers/

As I am only interested in measuring heatsink temperatures, this serves that purpose.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Might be stupid but how to change volume level for such amplifier without volume regulator?
Not a stupid question; that’s the difference between a power amplifier and an integrated amplifier. I use a dedicated preamplifier ahead of my power amplifier for this job. Since I have multiple analog and digital connections, a dedicated preamplifier works well for me.

alter4

Thanks to all for answers! What kind of exact devices from price/value standpoint you could suggest? 2-3 examples that could match this amplifier.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Last edited:

da Choge

Forum Donor
Has Soncoz discontinued their English language site? All of my previously saved URLs lead me only to their native Chinese website. They used to have a pretty good English language site (I thought), or maybe it was English webpages from one of their distributors' (online stores) websites. However, as far as Soncoz itself is concerned, I can only find the Chinese language website presently.

Last edited:

Ben1987

Audio Company
Has Soncoz discontinued their English language site? All of my previously saved URLs lead me only to their native Chinese website. They used to have a pretty good English language site (I thought), or maybe it was English webpages from one of their distributors' (online stores) websites. However, as far as Soncoz itself is concerned, I can only find the Chinese language website presently.
SONCOZ's English website is under construction.

Karl-Heinz Fink

Technical Expert
I just ordered one amp via my engineer in China. I like the concept and the measurements. Let's see how it sounds.

China is building up a very powerful HiFi industry. There are many good brands around, and they are very affordable compared with classic HiFi companies, The reason is that they don't add margins for complicated distribution or big margins for dealers. The engineering level in China is very high nowadays...and don't forget, they work for their own home market, and that market is huge. I enjoy the excellent price, and I don't complain, because the design is not made for Europe or the US. They do something I personally like: they measure AND listen.

ATB KHF

Karl-Heinz Fink

Technical Expert
We tried to find out more about SONCOZ ...... not so easy. They are not well known in the Chinese Audio Community. Looks like only the office is in Shenzhen. They are selling the unit here in Europe via Audiophonics in France and via AMAZON, but neither have any in stock. So far, I'm not sure if this is really a factory or a brand name or a marketing exercise with production elsewhere. Honestly, it makes me a bit nervous to buy a unit without knowing where it is coming from. On the website, you see several units with completely different designs. A company, that is doing its own design and production, would typically try to match the devices and use common parts. So if somebody from SONCOZ is reading here - now it's a good time to tell us more about your company. :cool:
So in this case, I have to question my own posting I did before........

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We tried to find out more about SONCOZ ...... not so easy. They are not well known in the Chinese Audio Community. Looks like only the office is in Shenzhen. They are selling the unit here in Europe via Audiophonics in France and via AMAZON, but neither have any in stock. So far, I'm not sure if this is really a factory or a brand name or a marketing exercise with production elsewhere. Honestly, it makes me a bit nervous to buy a unit without knowing where it is coming from. On the website, you see several units with completely different designs. A company, that is doing its own design and production, would typically try to match the devices and use common parts. So if somebody from SONCOZ is reading here - now it's a good time to tell us more about your company. :cool:
So in this case, I have to question my own posting I did before........

@Ben1987 is officially affiliated with SONCOZ. Hopefully he'll answer.

In case other ASR readers don't know, Karl-Heinz Fink is a "behind the scenes" speaker designer who has worked for companies like Q Acoustics, Wharfdale, etc.

He was part of the team who designed the Diamond line for Wharfdale

He designed the current Q Acoustics line

And does a whole lot of other secret stuff

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So if somebody from SONCOZ is reading here - now it's a good time to tell us more about your company. :cool:

It’s been almost a week with no reply, and Ben has logged on since Mr. Fink’s post.

Just tagging @Ben1987 one more time since everyone is interested! This amp seems to be a major step forward for what we have seen from the brand so far.

1694884068465.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom