• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGP1 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 61 18.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 254 77.2%

• Total voters

Bds3151

It all depends on the retailer. In the US, Apos is excellent, although they don't carry this brand.

But if you buy direct from the manufacturer or an overseas retailer who does not have local offices or reps, then there is no legal protection. And you are at the mercy of an oversea business, where their government and business culture does not share the same value and consumer protection as other parts of the world. Now you are dependent on that business doing the right thing and how much they value reputation. It is a risk indeed.

I've been lucky with Apos, I am on my 3rd SMSL DA-9 and the 3rd unit has the same issue and Apos is willing to give me store credit.
Not all of us have had luck with APOS. They wouldn't issue a refund for my popping LA90 Discrete, and wanted me to pay for shipping if I exchanged. I had to challenge the charge with my bank. In my experience, they are aholes if you have an issue.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not all of us have had luck with APOS. They wouldn't issue a refund for my popping LA90 Discrete, and wanted me to pay for shipping if I exchanged. I had to challenge the charge with my bank. In my experience, they are aholes if you have an issue.
But is the refund after the return period? If so, then it makes sense you either get a replacement or store credit.

Bds3151

But is the refund after the return period? If so, then it makes sense you either get a replacement or store credit.
Nope - after very slow responses, they agreed to either refund or replace, I chose refund, and they agreed but stopped communicating and did neither -aholes. But go ahead and learn yourself if you like. Just trying to be a good neighbor and warn others.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope - after very slow responses, they agreed to either refund or replace, I chose refund, and they agreed but stopped communicating and did neither -aholes. But go ahead and learn yourself if you like. Just trying to be a good neighbor and warn others.
Their response is slow, but for me so far, I haven't had this kind of issue, I've purchase 5 DACs from them so far. You should escalate to a manager there.

But I do believe that is the general problem with buying Chinese brands, there's only online retailers and don't have impeccable reputations of the likes of Crutchfield, so it is a roll of the dice sometimes. That is one of my biggest complaints with these Chinese brands.

BTW Topping is here too @JohnYang1997

Bds3151

Their response is slow, but for me so far, I haven't had this kind of issue, I've purchase 5 DACs from them so far. You should escalate to a manager there.

But I do believe that is the general problem with buying Chinese brands, there's only online retailers and don't have impeccable reputations of the likes of Crutchfield, so it is a roll of the dice sometimes. That is one of my biggest complaints with these Chinese brands.

BTW Topping is here too @JohnYang1997
How do you escalate when they won't respond to you? It wouldn't matter since they have lied and not lived up to their commitments. You've purchased 5 Dac's but how many have you tried to get a refund or replacement? Did they ask you to pay shipping from China for the replacement? Did you actually get the replacement? My situation was part of the LA90 discrete popping issue and it was unlikely that a replacement would fix the problem since it was a design/component issue not yet recognized/fixed by the manufacturer. That's why refund was the only option.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
ehhh., apos are HQ'ed in Shenzen

if you google them you get all the gory details

they're in the same bucket as aoshida hifiexpress and shenzen audio, probably sister companies, bad sisters

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ehhh., apos are HQ'ed in Shenzen

if you google them you get all the gory details

they're in the same bucket as aoshida hifiexpress and shenzen audio, probably sister companies, bad sisters
1695919803643.png

JackFX

I just got this amp in because I liked the look, liked the fact it was class AB and measured very well. I figured it would be a perfect match for my Revel M106s. However after 2 days the right channel blew. No longer works. I am going to see how linsoul handles this issue for me. I will hopefully just be returning for a refund and getting a purifi instead, should have just went with that in the first place.... ChiFi strikes again...

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I just got this amp in because I liked the look, liked the fact it was class AB and measured very well. I figured it would be a perfect match for my Revel M106s. However after 2 days the right channel blew. No longer works. I am going to see how linsoul handles this issue for me. I will hopefully just be returning for a refund and getting a purifi instead, should have just went with that in the first place.... ChiFi strikes again...
Hi JackFX,

I know you don't mean this in a derogatory manner but let's avoid the term Chi-fi as it can have negative connotations for such companies and people. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. ;)

On second thought we are giving you the benefit of the doubt. :oops:

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got this amp in because I liked the look, liked the fact it was class AB and measured very well. I figured it would be a perfect match for my Revel M106s. However after 2 days the right channel blew. No longer works. I am going to see how linsoul handles this issue for me. I will hopefully just be returning for a refund and getting a purifi instead, should have just went with that in the first place...
Thanks for sharing your bad luck experience. Did it blow while playing music or just out of the blue?

Is there anything about the load that can be determined here?

1698789862096.png

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Kinda figured this item was too good to be true.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

AltoVariago

The Cremona’s are indeed beautiful but this gets to @amirm ‘s point. The Cremona is a Franco Serblin era Sonus Faber and you won’t find anything in the present lineup remotely as beautiful. This gets to the point that it isn’t about actual countries of origin but individual people.

The classic Cremona versus the contemporary Olympica
View attachment 309785

View attachment 309786
As I said I own a pair of Cremona and pictures do not represent well the beautiful shape and the craftsmanship behind this speaker. They are really a piece of remarkable design, music apart.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
plenty of power
But there is a comment "not much headroom." That sounds rather negative...because looking at the power which I think almost exactly doubles, couldn't one say "highly regulated and load invariant" or something like that?

D

Deleted member 48726

Hi JackFX,

I know you don't mean this in a derogatory manner but let's avoid the term Chi-fi as it can have negative connotations for such companies and people. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. ;)

On second thought we are giving you the benefit of the doubt. :oops:
It was probably meant in a negative way as the Chinese HiFi component in question committed soduku in record time.

Top Bottom