• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGP1 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 61 18.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 254 77.2%

• Total voters

Emulator II

Music at a low-mid volume. Wasnt blasting anything, not hitting over 10watts.
A properly constructed amp has appropriate protection circuits and can withstand a "blast" without problems. Unfortunately, the presence of such circuits is not mentioned in the review. Are there any?
Unfortunately, the company representative here in the forum politely thanked the reviewer, but apart from pointing out that the English-speaking website is currently down, nothing more came. Inquiries from veteran business insiders were also studiously ignored.
When Soncoz started a few years ago, communication was pretty open, which I personally found very good and, in addition to the good measurements, it also motivated me to buy their first Dac (which I unfortunately had to sent back to Audiophonics straight away with a defective coax input).
I now have the impression that the international market is no longer really the target area for this manufacturer. Just a guess.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It was probably meant in a negative way as the Chinese HiFi component in question committed soduku in record time.
Soduku lol

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the OOTB fails on this alone is quite astounding

like how is this even normal

JackFX

A properly constructed amp has appropriate protection circuits and can withstand a "blast" without problems. Unfortunately, the presence of such circuits is not mentioned in the review. Are there any?
Unfortunately, the company representative here in the forum politely thanked the reviewer, but apart from pointing out that the English-speaking website is currently down, nothing more came. Inquiries from veteran business insiders were also studiously ignored.
When Soncoz started a few years ago, communication was pretty open, which I personally found very good and, in addition to the good measurements, it also motivated me to buy their first Dac (which I unfortunately had to sent back to Audiophonics straight away with a defective coax input).
I now have the impression that the international market is no longer really the target area for this manufacturer. Just a guess.
Not to mention after I contacted linsoul about the issue, they want ME to pay to ship this piece of garbage back to them so they can "repair" it and send it back again!!! Like how on earth could I trust that it wont just blow again in another 8 hours of use or short out and blow my speakers. I had to go submit a chargeback on my credit card, hopefully that works out.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Don't do business with Soncoz. Their products obviously are not well tested. You are pretty much beta testing for them. And they don't take care of issues. Buyer beware. Deal with them at your own risk.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy for reliability. Barring that, I make sure the company is reputable and has a viable warranty. Soncoz has what appears to be a good design but questionable manufacturing QA.

People do question what value a dealer provides; this is one area they can be of benefit.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
even with a dealer its going to be questionable

i doubt they will treat a western dealer much better

like would you knowingly buy a Topping amp knowing what their potting track record is?

i have bought western brands... eg, Marantz and had to go thru RMA and whatnot and that's not fun even with a local dealer, local repairer

Fleuch

Comparison of the Soncoz SGP1 and the Benchmark AHB2, the Benchmark is preferable simply because there is no apparent facility to bypass (or switch off) those flickering VU meters on the Soncoz. Granted the Benchmark has no meters to switch on, but it can be set up in bridged mode. Back in the day, as they say, the only use I found for VU meters was to set the maximum record level on a tape deck, or other professional applications. Now the flicker somewhere in my field of vision is nothing more than an irritatin. It is purely a personal view but I cannot understand what function VU meters perform on an amplifier in a domestic system, when the additional production cost appears to be completely unnecessary.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is purely a personal view but I cannot understand what function VU meters perform on an amplifier in a domestic system, when the additional production cost appears to be completely unnecessary.

There's a lot of stuff like that. Tachometers on an automatic transmission. Like meters on an amplifier, a tach needle will bounce around, but I'm guessing most drivers have learned to ignore it. Many drivers probably don't even know what it is. I'm sure my wife has no idea. If I had meters on my amp I'd watch them, though. I admit that.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Comparison of the Soncoz SGP1 and the Benchmark AHB2, the Benchmark is preferable simply because there is no apparent facility to bypass (or switch off) those flickering VU meters on the Soncoz. Granted the Benchmark has no meters to switch on, but it can be set up in bridged mode. Back in the day, as they say, the only use I found for VU meters was to set the maximum record level on a tape deck, or other professional applications. Now the flicker somewhere in my field of vision is nothing more than an irritatin. It is purely a personal view but I cannot understand what function VU meters perform on an amplifier in a domestic system, when the additional production cost appears to be completely unnecessary.
Unnecessary but desired. McIntosh has made a mint off VU meters. Some things are just aesthetically pleasing, not functionally necessary.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
"Some things are just aesthetically pleasing, not functionally necessary."

Call me a snob, but I couldn't buy something with that tacky superdupermegaspeed nonsense lettering on the V.Us. Its just too much last century early chinese crap imports, with no or completely butchered hilarious translations, and not enough audiophile friends to have a laugh at it..
Not to bash the company however.. I own their entry level DAC like 1,5 years now, with a nice understated design, decent instructions, and has functioned flawlessly...And fuelled my subjective tendencies, sounding rclearly different from my RME ADI DAC, when volume matched and with comparable filter selection, it really pisses me off...

Michal

I just ordered one amp via my engineer in China. I like the concept and the measurements. Let's see how it sounds.

China is building up a very powerful HiFi industry. There are many good brands around, and they are very affordable compared with classic HiFi companies, The reason is that they don't add margins for complicated distribution or big margins for dealers. The engineering level in China is very high nowadays...and don't forget, they work for their own home market, and that market is huge. I enjoy the excellent price, and I don't complain, because the design is not made for Europe or the US. They do something I personally like: they measure AND listen.

ATB KHF
Hi
Can you write something about the sound of this amplifier? Have you compared it with other amplifiers?
Regards

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
Can you write something about the sound of this amplifier? Have you compared it with other amplifiers?
Regards
It's going to sound like any other good amplifier. Like what went into it, only louder.

When it's working, that is.

da Choge

Forum Donor
Have you heard this amplifier or are you just theorizing?
I've heard it and, subjectively, it was great -- for as long as it lasted -- which was about 2 - 3 hours before the left channel blew out while playing my system at moderate levels (this occurred in late March 2023). But, more-over, Amir tested this amp and it tested very well objectively. There are, however, no long-term reports on reliability and there have been multiple reports of one-channel failure fairly soon after putting these units into play, so caveat emptor (not sure, but my guess is that the failures could have had something to do with potting of certain IC chips - haven't done a break-down the unit as of yet). I tried multiple times to effect a return or get a refund, but nothing was ever heard from the secondary seller or the manufacturer. I was an early adopter of an entirely new-design amplifier from a small Chinese manufacturer, so I knew I was taking a chance -- no excuse for the non-existent customer service, but just be aware of the risks. If I can't repair it satisfactorily on my own, I'm thinking of using the case for a custom hypex NCOREx NCx500 build, so maybe not a total loss.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I've heard it and, subjectively, it was great -- for as long as it lasted -- which was about 2 - 3 hours before the left channel blew out while playing my system at moderate levels (this occurred in late March 2023). But, more-over, Amir tested this amp and it tested very well objectively. There are, however, no long-term reports on reliability and there have been multiple reports of one-channel failure fairly soon after putting these units into play, so caveat emptor (not sure, but my guess is that the failures could have had something to do with potting of certain IC chips - haven't done a break-down the unit as of yet). I tried multiple times to effect a return or get a refund, but nothing was ever heard from the secondary seller or the manufacturer. I was an early adopter of an entirely new-design amplifier from a small Chinese manufacturer, so I knew I was taking a chance -- no excuse for the non-existent customer service, but just be aware of the risks. If I can't repair it satisfactorily on my own, I'm thinking of using the case for a custom hypex NCOREx NCx500 build, so maybe not a total loss.

What a pity.....take a look a this if you re looking for a reliable amp with an awesome Sinad/Price ratio )

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you heard this amplifier or are you just theorizing?
I've heard many, many amplifiers. Assuming they're well designed and operating below clipping, they all sound the same through a given pair of speakers.

Top Bottom