• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-X with 2x ES9039MSPRO

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When a review of the SU-X "new champion"?

OP
Centuriaromano
Well, we can get an idea of what the new SMSL SU-X will be like by looking at the features of its competition on Topping.
The screen leaves a lot to be desired but internally it seems to measure up to the large DACs.
Topping D90 III Sabre.

Merry christmas.

578e7d36-0b4a-4bd1-b767-46001d89cac6.png

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
$999

yeah... also Shenzen really need to use the hyphen

the screen does look amazing for a b&w thing

unpluggged

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm surprised i even have to explain this

calling a device SU-X is a choice

calling a device SUX is brave

i dont know what the rest of that was about

also i would say most people here are well aware of what Shenzen is... in fact many of us may even come from there, you never know :-/

OP
Centuriaromano
First opinion.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Please Amir I need the review for the new SMSL DAC SU-X with 2xES9039MS PRO.
Cheers.

But “SUX” as a DAC name is not promising :-D

Sray

Ordered one and will be arriving on Jan 2nd 2024.
I have D70 Pro Sabre and really like it. But, I also curious how D1SE2 sounds compare to it. Or say, how SMSL sounds compare to Topping. I know D90 III is there, too. But, this time, I will give SMSL a chance. And, the 2 USB inputs are VERY convenient to my setup (one from a HTPC, and one from RPi4 runs Volumio).

Infinit0

Ordered one and will be arriving on Jan 2nd 2024.
I have D70 Pro Sabre and really like it. But, I also curious how D1SE2 sounds compare to it. Or say, how SMSL sounds compare to Topping. I know D90 III is there, too. But, this time, I will give SMSL a chance. And, the 2 USB inputs are VERY convenient to my setup (one from a HTPC, and one from RPi4 runs Volumio).
Nice let us know when you tried it

MadMaxx

I tried the SMSL D400 Pro (single 9039 Pro) and it sounded like nails across a chalkboard through my Adam A7V speakers. It got no better after a full weekend of use. Maybe that dac just isn't a good match for the A7V and industrial/electronic rock? Glad I gave it a shot, but I'll stick with what I have now.

unpluggged

Maybe that dac just isn't a good match for the A7V
Maybe, especially after the additional AD/DA conversion and DSP processing of the A7V :rolleyes:

MadMaxx

Maybe, especially after the additional AD/DA conversion and DSP processing of the A7V :rolleyes:
Conversely, my music, along with games and videos, sound great through my E70V and the additional AD/DA conversion and DSP processing of the A7V. :rolleyes:

Guilherme_BR

I tried the SMSL D400 Pro (single 9039 Pro) and it sounded like nails across a chalkboard through my Adam A7V speakers. It got no better after a full weekend of use. Maybe that dac just isn't a good match for the A7V and industrial/electronic rock? Glad I gave it a shot, but I'll stick with what I have now.
Did you try it with 0 DB, Fixed Output? They come from factory with 2 DB, I think these Dacs sound harsh this way when going into a preamp.

Reactions: MBO
OP
Centuriaromano
I think you are wrong, the SMSL D400 PRO does not have the ES9039 DAC, it has the single AK4499EX DAC.

Top Bottom