• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL D 400 Pro: May be the 9038 Pro chip has met its match

totti1965

Arrives in Europe next week or the week after:

If the company information is correct - and SMSL uses the same analyzer as Amir,
then this is the best DAC in the world at the moment - with a razor-thin lead (you must scroll down for the analyzer graph):

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/847.html

However, they measured it at 5 volts, while Amir defaults to 4.00 volts on the balanced outputs (and 2 volts on the RCA outputs [so costing about 2 dB versus 4 volts]). That might also explain the close new world record of the new SMSL.

I think these things are also getting better because the Chinooks have now mastered even the 7 nanometer manufacturing method for the chips. Less waste heat, less noise, less distortion than before.

It will certainly be put under the microscope by Amir in October or so.

The thing costs EUR 649,-- (and thus even EUR 250,-- cheaper than the D 400 EX with ES9039MSPro chip):

I think it's gorgeous. Since the outer skin has those beautiful 50's ripples....
Like a pagoda roof.

Must be solid aluminum........

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
$600 usd

those numbers dont seem quite real to me... they are 'off the scale' of what i think is technically possible

SMSL are realising heaps of dacs

eg,

along with the older and now possibly discontinued 400ex/es

staticV3

Master Contributor
If the company information is correct - and SMSL uses the same analyzer as Amir,
then this is the best DAC in the world at the moment
The old Topping D90se has ~127.5dB SINAD, which can only be measured using an external notch filter like the Cosmos APU in front of the APx555B:

It's possible that the D400 Pro measures similarly well, but unless someone does some measurments with equipment better than the APx555, the D90se remains the highest SINAD commercially available DAC afaik.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
The design is too "90s Sharper Image" or B&O for my tastes.. but I get why people might like it. As others have stated, seems like these companies pump out new DACs the second a new chip comes out.. I have two SMSL DACs and love them, but no need to upgrade.

Graham849

Forum Donor
Nice , but really when comparing to DO100 no real advantage in real world. HDMI eARC is needed in these new DACs and no MQA.

SonofJura

I have one already and at the time APOS didn't have a Drop Down Menu to select color so mine arrived black instead of Silver, but I kept it because I'm not picky, but if you like the scalloped asethics the Silver is more pronounced and striking. My black unit camouflages the features which I now appreciate.

In my temporary headphone system using a Topping A90 Discrete HPA I will flat out just say it kills the Topping D90LE in dynamics and with headroom to spare. By this I mean when driving a pair of 64ohm Susveras, the Topping A90 HPA isn't the bottleneck the D90 LE ouput is such to barely be adequate. This was not subtle between dacs and this was compared with both in fixed and variable mode at max volume. I have owned many ESS dacs and only recently have been trying AKM DACS. FWIW after years of Benchmark and other ESS Dacs there's an upper midrange glassy hint to my ears. This went unnoticed for years, and when you take confirmation bias into consideration may not even be happening. Your mind is very good at tricking you (That's why the world is so er...interesting as of late) . I have had the SU10, VMV D2, and enjoyed both very much. The Topping D90 LE was only compared to the D400 Pro because I loved the SU10 and VMV D2 sound so much I wasn't motivated to swap out. The screen is so much better the Toppings retro looking screen looks antiquated, but mostly my eyesight is awful.

I can read the display of the D400 Pro from 17' away!

Regardless, I for some reason consistently prefer AKM to ESS. It just sounds more whole and complete. Detailed, dynamic, and errros on the less sterile side harmonically. I think it's neutral, some say warm.

Before you consider the VMV D2R at it's price I would consider the 400D Pro because it's a no brainer price for a DAC that is really a pleasure to listen to and I haven't ruled out trying a VMV D2R or one of a dozen other models that will pair with my preordered Zahl Hm-1 HPA batch 2. I've been chewing glass for a year they are 4 months late on delivery and counting.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Anyone need a Topping D90 LE with a day of use that sat around for a year. You'll notice in the picture I have both black and a silver! LOL.

SMSL D400 PRO - Black.jpg

Last edited:

drewdawg999

This DAC looks beautiful, especially in silver with the Jeff Rowland styling. Too bad I just got a D-6, would yearn for this if I had $500 more to spend. Though that's a lot more just for fancy chassis aesthetics, as I don't need MQA. But it uses flagship AKM chips which are quite expensive, don't know if there's any audible difference from my D-6 which is Velvetsound as well, and both DACs have DSD Direct which is important to me. Prefer AKM chips too, mostly for DSD performance.

Lasker

Ordered d400 pro black version now on Amazon, one month to see It in my home. I'm fan of akm DAC. My ears don't likes sabre based DAC, may be I am crazy.

Last edited:

JerryLeeds

Apos seems to have the D400 Pro on sale for 557 (using a 10% off coupon code .. simple google search to find the offer)

Would this dac be a bit better in the low end compared to an Ares 12th-1?

Lasker

I have one already and at the time APOS didn't have a Drop Down Menu to select color so mine arrived black instead of Silver, but I kept it because I'm not picky, but if you like the scalloped asethics the Silver is more pronounced and striking. My black unit camouflages the features which I now appreciate.

In my temporary headphone system using a Topping A90 Discrete HPA I will flat out just say it kills the Topping D90LE in dynamics and with headroom to spare. By this I mean when driving a pair of 64ohm Susveras, the Topping A90 HPA isn't the bottleneck the D90 LE ouput is such to barely be adequate. This was not subtle between dacs and this was compared with both in fixed and variable mode at max volume. I have owned many ESS dacs and only recently have been trying AKM DACS. FWIW after years of Benchmark and other ESS Dacs there's an upper midrange glassy hint to my ears. This went unnoticed for years, and when you take confirmation bias into consideration may not even be happening. Your mind is very good at tricking you (That's why the world is so er...interesting as of late) . I have had the SU10, VMV D2, and enjoyed both very much. The Topping D90 LE was only compared to the D400 Pro because I loved the SU10 and VMV D2 sound so much I wasn't motivated to swap out. The screen is so much better the Toppings retro looking screen looks antiquated, but mostly my eyesight is awful.

Regardless, I for some reason consistently prefer AKM to ESS. It just sounds more whole and complete. Detailed, dynamic, and errros on the less sterile side harmonically. I think it's neutral, some say warm.

Before you consider the VMV D2R at it's price I would consider the 400D Pro because it's a no brainer price for a DAC that is really a pleasure to listen to and I haven't ruled out trying a VMV D2R or one of a dozen other models that will pair with my preordered Zahl Hm-1 HPA batch 2. I've been chewing glass for a year they are 4 months late on delivery and counting.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Anyone need a Topping D90 LE with a day of use that sat around for a year. You'll notice in the picture I have both black and a silver! LOL.

View attachment 315998
Display backround and foreground color is configurabile? I like White on black as the promotional photo.

Last edited:

Rover

View attachment 315998
Excellent overview .D400 PRO as well as D400EX (compared) play more interesting D90le series from Topping.Apparently, one or two dacs in the device with the same schematics have no value except for a small difference in the numbers on the graphs.

Top Bottom