• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New S.M.S.L. M300 SE 120$

sunjam

I am not sure if DoP is considered as native DSD. WIth the Microsoft's driver, I can still play DSD with DoP. In that case, the DAC would still be able to get the DSD data stream natively (but packed in PCM packet) and it will decode the DSD data directly without converting it to PCM. There is no difference betwee DoP or "Native DSD" over ASIO in terms of the data the DAC received. The only difference is that it needs a higher bandwith to transfer DSD data over DoP.

The support of 768kHz sampling does help to support the DSD256 over DoP. With 386kHz, it would only be able to support DSD128 (over DoP).

On the SMSL website (M300 SE (smsl-audio.com)), they expliclity mentioned that the DAC supports 768kHz without downsampling (shown in one of the pictures)... I hope they really do support it as one of the major reason for me to get the M300SE is to play 768kHz audio (that I upsample with HQPlayer / PGGB-rt).

Toku

Major Contributor
I am not sure if DoP is considered as native DSD. WIth the Microsoft's driver, I can still play DSD with DoP. In that case, the DAC would still be able to get the DSD data stream natively (but packed in PCM packet) and it will decode the DSD data directly without converting it to PCM. There is no difference betwee DoP or "Native DSD" over ASIO in terms of the data the DAC received. The only difference is that it needs a higher bandwith to transfer DSD data over DoP.

The support of 768kHz sampling does help to support the DSD256 over DoP. With 386kHz, it would only be able to support DSD128 (over DoP).

On the SMSL website (M300 SE (smsl-audio.com)), they expliclity mentioned that the DAC supports 768kHz without downsampling (shown in one of the pictures)... I hope they really do support it as one of the major reason for me to get the M300SE is to play 768kHz audio (that I upsample with HQPlayer / PGGB-rt).
A quanto mi risulta, la descrizione di SMSL dell'M300SE di HP significa che l'M300SE può catturare fino a PCM768kHz, ma non indica che il DAC elabora direttamente PCM768kHz.
A prova di ciò, HP afferma nella sua spiegazione che l'XU316 è responsabile dell'elaborazione di PCM768kHz. Pertanto, ho capito che il segnale PCM768kHz è stato prima sottocampionato a 384kHz da XMOS XU316 e poi inviato a CS43131.
Inoltre, l'uscita audio del CS43131 è un'uscita per cuffie adatta per dongle USB e non è presente un'uscita di linea audio. L'M300SE ha questa uscita per cuffie ramificata per l'uscita di linea, che è diversa da un tipico DAC. Pertanto l'M300SE non dispone di un amplificatore per cuffie.

Attachments

• M300SE_XU316.jpg
    M300SE_XU316.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 34
  • M300SE HP & Line out.jpg
    M300SE HP & Line out.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 33

dimxbox

I see that a lot of people here write about "Pops, clicks, cracks...", I also had some problems when I connected the M300SE with a long Baseus TypeC cable.
I couldn't set high sampling rates (192, 384, 768kHz), there was a lot of distortion and noise, if I set 48kHz it seemed fine, but I heard some stuttering, not very noticeable, but a slight click... I thought it was a bad quality DAC.

But when I connected the M300SE through a short 1m Ugreen cable (US355), everything worked as it should, without any problems.
Maybe this will help someone.

Attachments

• baseus.jpg
    baseus.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 40
  • ugreenUSB3.2.jpg
    ugreenUSB3.2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 41

sunjam

I see that a lot of people here write about "Pops, clicks, cracks...", I also had some problems when I connected the M300SE with a long Baseus TypeC cable.
I couldn't set high sampling rates (192, 384, 768kHz), there was a lot of distortion and noise, if I set 48kHz it seemed fine, but I heard some stuttering, not very noticeable, but a slight click... I thought it was a bad quality DAC.

But when I connected the M300SE through a short 1m Ugreen cable (US355), everything worked as it should, without any problems.
Maybe this will help someone.
How long is your "long cable"? Did you try the cable that comes with the DAC? It is pretty short. For my case, the included cable doesn't work too.

Did you install the SMSL driver too?

dimxbox

"Baseus Jelly Liquid Silica Gel Type-C to Type-C (100W)" cable 2m long.
The cable from the box - I haven't tried it, my laptop doesn't have the usual TypeA connectors.

Did not use a driver, I have MacOS, which does not require a driver.

rialler

I know some didn't recommend the SMSL M300 SE, but damn, for the price, I had to try how my 100% balanced system sounded. So, I ordered it from Amazon.

My current setup is active and right now it's like this:

Fiio D03k (DAC) —> Yamaha MG06 (PREAMP) —> active crossover —> 3 power amplifiers (3 way)

My idea was to eliminate the Fiio and Yamaha and connect the M300 SE directly to the active crossover, but the sound, although good and defined, was somewhat weak. The Fiio+Yamaha combo sounded much better overall. Maybe any of you know why. Impedance? In theory XLR output delivers 4vrms

So, I bought 2 XLR cables I needed to connect the M300 SE to the Yamaha via XLR and complete the 100% balanced system.

Amazing! The sound is more clear, with better instrument separation and more definition than the Fiio. Guitars and pianos sound noticeably more defined and punchy. Also is quieter. Less noise.

While the Fiio performs admirably, especially considering its price, the M300 SE offers a significant improvement without breaking the bank.

I'm currently experimenting with PCM filters to determine which one suits my setup best.

PS: No pops or clicks for now (connected via optical cable)

sunjam

I know some didn't recommend the SMSL M300 SE, but damn, for the price, I had to try how my 100% balanced system sounded. So, I ordered it from Amazon.

My current setup is active and right now it's like this:

Fiio D03k (DAC) —> Yamaha MG06 (PREAMP) —> active crossover —> 3 power amplifiers (3 way)

My idea was to eliminate the Fiio and Yamaha and connect the M300 SE directly to the active crossover, but the sound, although good and defined, was somewhat weak. The Fiio+Yamaha combo sounded much better overall. Maybe any of you know why. Impedance? In theory XLR output delivers 4vrms

So, I bought 2 XLR cables I needed to connect the M300 SE to the Yamaha via XLR and complete the 100% balanced system.

Amazing! The sound is more clear, with better instrument separation and more definition than the Fiio. Guitars and pianos sound noticeably more defined and punchy. Also is quieter. Less noise.

While the Fiio performs admirably, especially considering its price, the M300 SE offers a significant improvement without breaking the bank.

I'm currently experimenting with PCM filters to determine which one suits my setup best.

PS: No pops or clicks for now (connected via optical cable)
It is good to know you enjoy the M300SE. It is indeed a mighty all-in-one little DAC. It stands out from other in terms of price, measurement, and performance.

The only drawback for me is that I have to use the stock USB2.0 driver from Micosoft for it to works without any cracking sound or MQA issue. Having said that, given it support 768k, I can still use it to play DSD256. i,e. using the Micrsoft's driver give me 100% of its function without any compromise :). The litttle difference is it shows DOP instead of DSD when I play the DSD files. By the way, did you install the SMSL driver?

When I use it with my Mac, it has zero issue at all.

Are you using it for soft/relaxing music? If yes, I suggests you can try to play your files in DSD format. It's so great. Enjoy!

MXraincloud

I am utterly satisfied with this little DAC.
I got it this week and it's been a great audio experience.
I use it as a secondary listening station in my bedroom, next to my bed. My main audio setup is better than the one in the bedroom, but that's why that one is the main one.
I have the SMSL M300SE receiving input from an compact size Sony DVD player used as a transport via digital coaxial. Also receives input from USB coming from my Pixel Pro phone (USB Audio Player Pro) and my mac M2 and Win11 PC laptops. The M300SE outputs to an iFi ZEN Can via the XLR outputs on its back to the 4.4mm balanced input of the Zen Can (Dual XLR to 4.4mm male cable). The headphones used are Hifiman Ananda and Sundara. I haven't tried yet the HE-R9s since for now I am really enjoying using the M300SE with the Anandas. I am using the balanced 4.4mm headphone output of the Zen Can.

I set the M300SE output volume to Fixed and I am also using the Filter # 5 --for some reason I like that one. I have the Zen Can output level set to 6db. The volume knob is set about the 8 o'clock mark and is loud enough --trying above 8 is just too loud.
The track sources are CDs, Tidal, and a local NAS with a huge FLAC collection.

I mostly listen to vocal and electronic music: pop, rock, R&B, electronica, folk, world and so on. I also listen to orchestral music from time to time. Seldom play hip hop.

The sound is punchy but not tiresome. Softly punchy -as it not smashing you on the face. The sound is also clear and I am able to hear details with clarity on all tracks. I get very good separation of instruments on tracks that merit paying attention to separation. I would call the soundstage as being nicely open, enough to have the sensation of space between instruments and vocals. I am not a bass fiend, so the bass I get is good for me: I get bass lines enough for them to add to the flavor in tracks. MQA is well handled too! In any case, the sound is very enjoyable and makes me want to keep trying all of my available music on this DAC. Before using the M300SE in the bedroom setup I was using an iFi HipDac 2 and a Creative Labs Sound Blaster E5 DAC (this one for its optical input). I like the M300SE's sound much more than those two small and portable DACs.

Again, the M300SE can't beat my main setup, but that was not the intention and for the price of $129 is great considering the variety of its inputs and outputs.

The **only glitch** I experience on the M300SE is this one:
At all times I have two USB cables plugged to the DAC, one for power (using the USB cable that came with the unit) and the other one for data, which I plug to either my phone or the mac and Windows laptops. They are plugged to the USB ports as labeled on the back of the DAC, as per the manual.
When I want to use the USB input I need to first unplug the USB power cable from the M300SE, then the M300SE powers off. Then I plug the data USB cable to the phone or laptop and then the DAC is recognized by the phone/laptop. If I don't unplug the USB power first, then the DAC is not seen/recognized by the phone/laptop. Once the DAC is recognized I plug back the USB power cable. The whole thing takes about 5 to 7 seconds, from unplugging the power USB to the DAC powering on and being recognized. Since I have the power strip right next to my setup and is easily accessible it is not a big deal at all, I just reach for the usb cable, unplug it from its brick (the brick is an old 5V phone charger) and then plug it back because I don't want the DAC to suck power from phone or laptop. I guess I could try not plugging the power back when using phone/laptop and see how long they last with juice.

In any case, mission accomplished: adding the M300SE to my bedroom setup has proven to produce audio sessions that are enjoyable with good sound quality, all for a price that is a bargain, considering the results.

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 35

Toku

Major Contributor
The M300E has two USB-C ports, USB Input and Aux Power Supply, and their 5V power input lines are connected to each other. The M300SE also determines the USB connection status based on the presence or absence of this 5V voltage. Therefore, if 5V is being supplied to the Aux Power Supply's USB-C, the M300SE will probably determine that the USB is connected even if you disconnect the DATA input USB-C.
I think the idea is that in the original use of the M300SE, power is supplied from the USB-C of the USB Input, and the shortage is supplemented from the USB-C of the Aux Power Supply.

dimxbox

Today I listened to the M300SE compared to the Topping E70 Velvet and there is definitely a difference, but not twice as much.
The M300SE also sound quite detailed and the E70 Velvet sound more tonally accurate, more natural, but the E70 cost a lot more and don't give you much more for the money than the M300SE.

I really liked the Audalytic AH90 and I'm saving up for them.

I listened with Genelec 8030B and EVE Audio SC207, SC205.

Attachments

• PXL_20240331_112928814.jpg
    PXL_20240331_112928814.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 29

staticV3

Master Contributor
Today I listened to the M300SE compared to the Topping E70 Velvet and there is definitely a difference, but not twice as much.
The M300SE also sound quite detailed and the E70 Velvet sound more tonally accurate, more natural, but the E70 cost a lot more and don't give you much more for the money than the M300SE.

I really liked the Audalytic AH90 and I'm saving up for them.

I listened with Genelec 8030B and EVE Audio SC207, SC205.
Every difference you've heard can most likely be attributed to output voltage, Nyquist filters, and expectation bias.

Control these variables and the difference in sound quality will disappear.

dimxbox

Every difference you've heard can most likely be attributed to output voltage, Nyquist filters, and expectation bias.

Control these variables and the difference in sound quality will disappear.
The output voltage is the same (standard 4V), filters FL1 on M300SE and FL1 on Topping E70V (Fast and Low-latency filter).
The volume was set by ear.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The output voltage is the same (standard 4V), filters FL1 on M300SE and FL1 on Topping E70V (Fast and Low-latency filter).
The volume was set by ear.
Unfortunately, that's not good enough for unbiased sound comparisons.

sunjam

I am utterly satisfied with this little DAC.
I got it this week and it's been a great audio experience.
I use it as a secondary listening station in my bedroom, next to my bed. My main audio setup is better than the one in the bedroom, but that's why that one is the main one.
I have the SMSL M300SE receiving input from an compact size Sony DVD player used as a transport via digital coaxial. Also receives input from USB coming from my Pixel Pro phone (USB Audio Player Pro) and my mac M2 and Win11 PC laptops. The M300SE outputs to an iFi ZEN Can via the XLR outputs on its back to the 4.4mm balanced input of the Zen Can (Dual XLR to 4.4mm male cable). The headphones used are Hifiman Ananda and Sundara. I haven't tried yet the HE-R9s since for now I am really enjoying using the M300SE with the Anandas. I am using the balanced 4.4mm headphone output of the Zen Can.

I set the M300SE output volume to Fixed and I am also using the Filter # 5 --for some reason I like that one. I have the Zen Can output level set to 6db. The volume knob is set about the 8 o'clock mark and is loud enough --trying above 8 is just too loud.
The track sources are CDs, Tidal, and a local NAS with a huge FLAC collection.

I mostly listen to vocal and electronic music: pop, rock, R&B, electronica, folk, world and so on. I also listen to orchestral music from time to time. Seldom play hip hop.

The sound is punchy but not tiresome. Softly punchy -as it not smashing you on the face. The sound is also clear and I am able to hear details with clarity on all tracks. I get very good separation of instruments on tracks that merit paying attention to separation. I would call the soundstage as being nicely open, enough to have the sensation of space between instruments and vocals. I am not a bass fiend, so the bass I get is good for me: I get bass lines enough for them to add to the flavor in tracks. MQA is well handled too! In any case, the sound is very enjoyable and makes me want to keep trying all of my available music on this DAC. Before using the M300SE in the bedroom setup I was using an iFi HipDac 2 and a Creative Labs Sound Blaster E5 DAC (this one for its optical input). I like the M300SE's sound much more than those two small and portable DACs.

Again, the M300SE can't beat my main setup, but that was not the intention and for the price of $129 is great considering the variety of its inputs and outputs.

The **only glitch** I experience on the M300SE is this one:
At all times I have two USB cables plugged to the DAC, one for power (using the USB cable that came with the unit) and the other one for data, which I plug to either my phone or the mac and Windows laptops. They are plugged to the USB ports as labeled on the back of the DAC, as per the manual.
When I want to use the USB input I need to first unplug the USB power cable from the M300SE, then the M300SE powers off. Then I plug the data USB cable to the phone or laptop and then the DAC is recognized by the phone/laptop. If I don't unplug the USB power first, then the DAC is not seen/recognized by the phone/laptop. Once the DAC is recognized I plug back the USB power cable. The whole thing takes about 5 to 7 seconds, from unplugging the power USB to the DAC powering on and being recognized. Since I have the power strip right next to my setup and is easily accessible it is not a big deal at all, I just reach for the usb cable, unplug it from its brick (the brick is an old 5V phone charger) and then plug it back because I don't want the DAC to suck power from phone or laptop. I guess I could try not plugging the power back when using phone/laptop and see how long they last with juice.

In any case, mission accomplished: adding the M300SE to my bedroom setup has proven to produce audio sessions that are enjoyable with good sound quality, all for a price that is a bargain, considering the results.
Just wondering did try to use the power button on the front panel to power cycle the unit instead of unplugging USB power cable?

LuCar

When I want to use the USB input I need to first unplug the USB power cable from the M300SE, then the M300SE powers off. Then I plug the data USB cable to the phone or laptop and then the DAC is recognized by the phone/laptop. If I don't unplug the USB power first, then the DAC is not seen/recognized by the phone/laptop. Once the DAC is recognized I plug back the USB power cable.
I wish SMSL will fix this bug. It's about the only thing I can think of not working well in the M300SE. We should be able to simply choose the USB input, without having to unplug and replug cables.

rialler

It is good to know you enjoy the M300SE. It is indeed a mighty all-in-one little DAC. It stands out from other in terms of price, measurement, and performance.

The only drawback for me is that I have to use the stock USB2.0 driver from Micosoft for it to works without any cracking sound or MQA issue. Having said that, given it support 768k, I can still use it to play DSD256. i,e. using the Micrsoft's driver give me 100% of its function without any compromise :). The litttle difference is it shows DOP instead of DSD when I play the DSD files. By the way, did you install the SMSL driver?

When I use it with my Mac, it has zero issue at all.

Are you using it for soft/relaxing music? If yes, I suggests you can try to play your files in DSD format. It's so great. Enjoy!

By now I'm only using Optical input from MiBox. I've to try usb output connected to mac and play some HiRes files!

PS: What filter are you using?

sunjam

By now I'm only using Optical input from MiBox. I've to try usb output connected to mac and play some HiRes files!

PS: What filter are you using?
I am using HQPlayer to upsample all my source to DSD256 or 768k. I believe under these situations, the DAC (CS-chip) won't apply any filtering. So, effectivly, it doesn't matter for whatever I can.

Having said that, I use the DAC occassionally for 44.1k. In this case, I usually would pick the first filter.

note: optical input only support up to 192k, I believe. Using USB would allow you to go up to 768k/DSD256. Enjoy

sunjam

I wish SMSL will fix this bug. It's about the only thing I can think of not working well in the M300SE. We should be able to simply choose the USB input, without having to unplug and replug cables.
For me, I just tried it last night and it works without unplugging any cable. It should work by turning on/off from the remote. If it still doesn't work, you can try to select to difference souce (e.g. to BT) and then go back to USB.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
'legacy' digital inputs, ie coax and toslink can only do 24/192 max

are both usb ports fully functional?

be cute if they can make it so you can run dual inputs ie. one off a pc, one off a tablet

but it seems one may only have the pins for power???

LuCar

For me, I just tried it last night and it works without unplugging any cable. It should work by turning on/off from the remote. If it still doesn't work, you can try to select to difference souce (e.g. to BT) and then go back to USB.
Yes, I have tried selecting a different source (e.g. BT) and then go back to USB. That does not work. It's a bug that, once it is receiving power from the second USB input, it does not detect a USB source freshly plugged into the first USB input. A way to get it to recognize the USB input source (phone) is by disconnecting power from the second USB input, which causes the device to turn off and restart using the phone's power into the first USB input. Then it recognizes the phone connected to the first USB and it is safe to replug the power only second USB. It may be an Android and iOS only problem. I haven't tried Windows.

Top Bottom