• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New S.M.S.L. M300 SE 120$

gvl

Major Contributor
DAC chip speced up to 384kHz, yet they advertise up to 768, odd.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i cant say the Chinese dont constantly surprise me

how are they doing this for $120??? it has the std rc8c remote and it has XLR out (!!!)... cant say i'm a huge fan of trs

the reason why its probably cheap is because its using dual Crystals which isnt as popular these days... it has a vol. knob it has a proper dot matrix display and not a crappy segment display

i really really dislike the half loaf of bread format but jeez... this could be a winner if you're not fully set into the ESS and AKM duopoly

assuming the graphs look the same as the C100 and SU1 then why the hell would you buy those less featured units?

also BT but I think its only AAC and it has MQA if you want to throw a few coins to the Witcher

my reading of the manual is telling me the headphone power isnt anything but average so it has dual headphone ports for convenience rather than actual decent amplification there

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s cheaper because of the Cirrus Logic chips.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i notice there's a 4 page white paper on the CS 43131 right here

am i not mistaken in that this is mainly a processor designed for the mobile market and is limited to 384 but when used in dual can go to 768?

my opinion about that is... who cares... who is using this hi res format anyway

on an academic level it would be nice to see how a dual setup charts next to the ess/akm set

i notice there is only a 3.5mm out for SE analog as no room for dual rca?

also they went to dual type c, one for power, one for data

my prediction is that it comes close to ess/akm models of a similar price but doesnt quite get there but it'll be inaudible anyway

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered one from Hifi-Express. Will be probably 2+ weeks from China but I'll take it for a spin. Also will be happy to send it in for measurements if they don't send Amirm an evaluation unit. It's got low power, but as a DAC I can make use of it, then maybe try some IEM's with the amplifier outputs. As soon as it gets here I'll post and see if it's wanted to testing.

audiofun

price is low because of CS43131, which doesn't requires i/v conversion, output buffer stage, and headphone amp buffer. the power supply is also quite easy to do, which significantly reduces the IC needed.
noise is super, super low.
To those who needs rear balanced output / don't need a lot of power for their headphones, this is a perfect option.
The only major thing I find missing is filter selection. I hope they could add the feature as a firmware update.

Currently the cheapest balanced output DAC (Topping D10B) lacks single ended output / headphone output / remote / various inputs / etc and costs $20 more.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i do notice in the manual that there is no filter/shaping whatever

like we are used to whatever shaping functions is standard baked into the silicon with akm ess so its funny to see nothing here but most of us realise that these things are useless anyway

the lack of rca kind of bums me out but a 3.5 to 2 x rca isnt a big deal i guess

the topping balanced is way way too cheap on functions to justify $140!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i hate it... it reminds me of the lab equipment i had at work

BUT if the thing has a glass front and all the features and it does what i expect for $120 i can forgive a lot

It doesnt match my A300 and I bet the remote will clash with my SMSL amp because they're still in the stone ages as far as rack compatibility goes...

jeroboam

I'm a bit confused ( not difficult ) about using this as a preamp with volume control for a power amp. If I plug a chromecast audio into the optical input will it function as a dac with volume control to the power amp. Grateful for your advice thanks.

notsodeadlizard

i cant say the Chinese dont constantly surprise me

how are they doing this for $120??? it has the std rc8c remote and it has XLR out (!!!)... cant say i'm a huge fan of trs

the reason why its probably cheap is because its using dual Crystals which isnt as popular these days... it has a vol. knob it has a proper dot matrix display and not a crappy segment display

i really really dislike the half loaf of bread format but jeez... this could be a winner if you're not fully set into the ESS and AKM duopoly

assuming the graphs look the same as the C100 and SU1 then why the hell would you buy those less featured units?

also BT but I think its only AAC and it has MQA if you want to throw a few coins to the Witcher

my reading of the manual is telling me the headphone power isnt anything but average so it has dual headphone ports for convenience rather than actual decent amplification there
There is no mystery here.

2 DAC ICes are about $20 in volumes if the supply chain is international (worldwide big distributors). So, for Chinese manufacturers it will be $15 maximum.
OLED screen's retail price is less than $4, so it will be less than $1.
Remote is something unified and "branded" of high volume from third party, so it will be $2 maximum.
+$30 for everything else (overestimation).
Let it be $60 in total cost.
+ cost of work which is assembly and packing primary.

audiofun

There is no mystery here.

2 DAC ICes are about $20 in volumes if the supply chain is international (worldwide big distributors). So, for Chinese manufacturers it will be $15 maximum.
OLED screen's retail price is less than $4, so it will be less than $1.
Remote is something unified and "branded" of high volume from third party, so it will be $2 maximum.
+$30 for everything else (overestimation).
Let it be $60 in total cost.
+ cost of work which is assembly and packing primary.
That's surely overestimation. the total bom cost should below 35%. so probably $45 at most.
other things also have significant cost (amazon/dealer fee, transportation, return/replacement, etc) so they can't do it at $120 if bom is $60.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
that must be true because you have a situation where SMSL are literally cutting the ass out of everything to make the SU1 and C100 work with no remote, no display, no vol. knob and all these QoL minuses to make that price.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting unit for sure!
This is tempting!
I don’t recall reading any report of smsl units doing crazy things like forgetting volume control settings and such, and my good old pair of m8 have been flawless and well behaved fir many years now in my active system (no volume control tho...).

What I would love to see would be some sort of "gain" setting in the menu that would set the max level at 0dBFS (eg 0.5V, 1V, 2V, 4V) with volume at max. No need for an analog circuit given the crazy high dynamic range, just a digital limit that would avoid user errors, as well as (hopefully) firmware errors.
I guess that would be pretty easy to do and would add a layer of security.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a bit confused ( not difficult ) about using this as a preamp with volume control for a power amp. If I plug a chromecast audio into the optical input will it function as a dac with volume control to the power amp. Grateful for your advice thanks.

Yes, it will work as a digital pre-amp or as a DAC with a fixed output.

HappyMetalGuy

that must be true because you have a situation where SMSL are literally cutting the ass out of everything to make the SU1 and C100 work with no remote, no display, no vol. knob and all these QoL minuses to make that price.
Smsl c100 has a remote, display and Bluetooth this are non existent in su-1.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Top Bottom