• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 alternatives?

cmallo

Hi, I was supposed to get the Topping D30 last year but life came in the way and they discountinued the product. The reason for getting the D30 was it's balanced/rca output and volume control(remote).
Right now I have the T60 Argons and the Singxer SA-1, looking to get the Kali IN-5/8's later this year(hence the volume control). I've been looking for alternatives to the D30 and found these DAC's to be suitable:

Soncoz SGD1
Sabaj A20D
SMSL SU-9n
SMSL D300
SMSL DO200 MKII
SMSL DO300

Anyone has any experience with these DAC's and how they would work with the Singxer SA-1 and T60 Argons? Any alternatives that I missed within this pricerange? Is it just best to get the cheapest one and call it a day?
Grateful for any input.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The cheapest DAC with Balanced output and Remote-controlled volume right now is the SMSL M300 SE.
It costs $130 on Amazon etc. and just $110 on SMSL's AliExpress store.

If you don't like the brick form factor, then there's the $170 SMSL D-6.

You will not get better sound quality by spending more. Both of them are fully transparent.

While the M300 SE has a headphone Amp built-in, it's not particularly powerful.
Depending on how hard your headphones are to drive, what EQ you use, how loud you like to listen, and how your music is mixed and mastered, you may want to consider the SMSL DL200. It's got a powerful headphone Amp on board and costs just $165 on their AliExpress store.
That's probably the one I'd go for in your situation.

Last edited:
OP
C

cmallo

The cheapest DAC with Balanced output and Remote-controlled volume right now is the SMSL M300 SE.
It costs $130 on Amazon etc. and just $110 on SMSL's AliExpress store.

If you don't like the brick form factor, then there's the $170 SMSL D-6.

You will not get better sound quality by spending more. Both of them are fully transparent.

While the M300 SE has a headphone Amp built-in, it's not particularly powerful.
Depending on how hard your headphones are to drive, what EQ you use, how loud you like to listen, and how your music is mixed and mastered, you may want to consider the SMSL DL200. It's got a powerful headphone Amp on board and costs just $165 on their AliExpress store.
That's probably the one I'd go for in your situation.
Thanks for the suggestions. The Singxer SA-1 will power the T60 Argons so I don't need an amp. The SMSL D-6 looks interesting(RCA and Balanced Output), how come it's so much cheaper compared to say the SU-9n/D300?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The SMSL D-6 looks interesting(RCA and Balanced Output), how come it's so much cheaper compared to say the SU-9n/D300?
The display is more basic and the measurements are not quite as good.
That does not translate into worse sound though as the limiting factor is your ears.

minclistr

I was also looking for the D30 (Pro). I will look into recommendations listed above or any other suggestions anyone might have that will pair well with my Topping A30 Pro for my desktop setup. So yes, form factor will influence my decision :)

Thanks in advance!

unpluggged

The reason for getting the D30 was it's balanced/rca output and volume control(remote).
But it has no remote and has only single-ended outputs.

Saponetto

I was also looking for the D30 (Pro). I will look into recommendations listed above or any other suggestions anyone might have that will pair well with my Topping A30 Pro for my desktop setup. So yes, form factor will influence my decision :)

Thanks in advance!

Difficult to get something more satisfatory than the pair D30Pro+A30.
My 5 Cents, of course.

minclistr

Finding a Canadian dealer or a reliable source with stock is impossible it seems.

Saponetto

Unfortunately D30 Pros seems to be out pf production so yes, have to agree with you.
Somebody should suggest you a D70 Sabre+A70, but I'm not feeling myself bold enough... ;)

minclistr

Ouch! That price tag though... Eyeing the E70 for now, which will upset the wife less. I just wish it wasn't a foot wide!

Top Bottom