• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New S.M.S.L. M300 SE 120$

audiofun

who said it can be turned off ?

then it doesn't make sense anymore based on the context. the article indicated that a firmware fix could make the click go away.

A google traduction of the RAA article :

which refers pretty well to the class H amplifier thing in the CS datasheet.
i won't worry about it until someone doing experiements and can show it really has issues.

taudier

then it doesn't make sense anymore based on the context. the article indicated that a firmware fix could make the click go away.
no, the article dit not say that. The article said, maybe yes, maybe no, try to contact the manufacturer and share the results.

i won't worry about it until someone doing experiements and can show it really has issues.
you have the author of the RAA article, the DAC manufacturer, and MBO on this thread page 4.

audiofun

no, the article dit not say that. The article said, maybe yes, maybe no, try to contact the manufacturer and share the results.

you have the author of the RAA article, the DAC manufacturer, and MBO on this thread page 4.
I don't trust MBO's argument. things such as "Аs well as SMSL built into the firmware a stereo expander or some kind of beautiful equalizer." simply does not make sense.

taudier

I don't trust MBO's argument. things such as "Аs well as SMSL built into the firmware a stereo expander or some kind of beautiful equalizer." simply does not make sense.
Why not ?

again, in the CS data sheet :
4.14 Programmable Filter
In the CS43131, there are a series of programmable filters which is open for user's customization. The filter coefficients
can be programmed for altering frequency response or other characteristics to fit the design intention.

and there would still be the RAA article.

audiofun

Why not ?

again, in the CS data sheet :

and there would still be the RAA article.
I made it clear --- there's zero data to support his argument. I trust SMSL to get the most basic thing right (ruler flat frequency response).
frequency response & the above mentioned bug can be simply tested and verified. Until I see data I won't trust either your or the other user's theory. You guys need to show the data.

taudier

I made it clear --- there's zero data to support his argument.
The data are his ears. They are reliable for the microclicks and that's enough for the matter in concern. Just call him liar.

I trust SMSL to get the most basic thing right (ruler flat frequency response).
There is nothing basic here, the M300 SE is advertised as a "Performance-grade" headphone amplifier.

Last edited:

audiofun

The data are his ears. They are reliable for the microclicks and that's enough for the matter in concern. Just call him liar.

There is nothing basic here, the M300 SE is advertised as a "Performance-grade" headphone amplifier.
this is just nonsense. m300 is sold out and hundreds of people own it already. he is the only one that mentioned the bugs (noneven frequency response, microclicks) with zero data (or sample recording) shown. If SMSL made those serious mistakes many people may already verified it. I wouldn't worry about it if it's just one single person (based on the post, without correct understanding of audio)

anyway it's meaningless arguing with you here until you have the unit in hand and can show real data.

Last edited:

taudier

this is just nonsense. m300 is sold out and hundreds of people own it already. he is the only one that mentioned the bugs (noneven frequency response, microclicks) with zero data (or sample recording) shown. If SMSL made those serious mistakes many people may already verified it. I wouldn't worry about it if it's just one single person (based on the post, without correct understanding of audio)

anyway it's meaningless arguing with you here until you have the unit in hand and can show real data.
how do you know that hundreds units were sold ? do you work in the industry ? is it one more of your assumption ?

i don't have the unit but there are at least 3 people here who have/had it and had refused to speak about the microclicks, with one person who cannot hear the microclicks in the RAA test/benchmark.

Last edited:

audiofun

how do you know that hundreds units were sold ? do you work in the industry ? is it one more of your assumption ?

i don't have the unit but there are at least 3 people here who have/had it and had refused to speak about the microclicks, with one person who cannot hear the microclicks in the RAA test/benchmark.
factories like smsl's produce at least hundreds of units per batch. otherwise the cost per unit will be too high.
for a $100 unit, there no way smsl can do it with just tens of units in this batch.
this is not insider knowledge at all. Not knowing that indicates you are too unfamiliar with how it works...

Lambda

Major Contributor
USB Powered
Optical Input
Balanced output
And Headphone out.

that's the DAC for me!

taudier

factories like smsl's produce at least hundreds of units per batch. otherwise the cost per unit will be too high.
for a $100 unit, there no way smsl can do it with just tens of units in this batch.
this is not insider knowledge at all. Not knowing that indicates you are too unfamiliar with how it works...
that's not knowledge, just bald statements, like when you said "the class H cannot be turned off" and etc

34 units sold on aliexpress, 10 ratings on amazon, and it is on "Pre sale: send on 20th July." at hifi-express

people here report that you cannot change the filters, but according to the manual created 30/06/2023 you can change the filters ! but there is no firmware update on their website. So my bet is that smsl was not at the stage of mass production/sale, and they took more time to finish their device.

Last edited:

Emulator II

I've been using this device for a few weeks now. I haven't noticed the mentioned microclicks so far. What I did notice, however, is the lack of clicks and pops when changing the sample rate and turning the device on and off. Unfortunately, this was always different with the DACs from iFi, Topping and Schiit that I had used before, something that really bothered me. The M300 SE behaves completely inconspicuously, very pleasantly. I use the device in preamp mode by remote control, the wiring is via XLR. The DAC is fed via USB or Toslink and powered by an additional SMPS from Allo. I haven't tried the headphone outputs yet.
For the asking price, I think it's a real bargain given the build quality and decent features. I'm looking forward to the measurement results too.

Edit: One thing that actually bothers me a bit is the volume control, more precisely how it's displayed. Surprisingly, you can get along quite well with the only 40 levels, since a logarithmic curve was probably stored here and the control in the lower volume range is relatively sensitive. It's a pity that, as is so often the case, the value is only displayed when the volume is changed. In addition, the font size is so small that you cannot see anything from a distance of 3m. Here I would like an option that allows the volume to be displayed permanently while using the entire display, similar to the Gustard H16, for example:

Gustard H16 Review Headphone Amplifier Balanced~2.jpg

Last edited:

Leonm771

So my bet is that smsl was not at the stage of mass production/sale, and they took more time to finish their device.
I agree .

I've already mailed to their customer services to look for "filter"

Sadly , they said they don't have any sample yet , and will send me a video about how to change it .

It was about 2 weeks ago.

audiofun

people here report that you cannot change the filters, but according to the manual created 30/06/2023 you can change the filters ! but there is no firmware update on their website. So my bet is that smsl was not at the stage of mass production/sale, and they took more time to finish their device.
new firmware is needed for filter selection. I proposed the feature to them months ago because they should be able to do it at zero cost. you can ask them for the new firmware. new units will come with it by default.

taudier

Leonm771

have you managed to identify the microclicks in the RAA test (https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/demo-cs131.php#gsc.tab=0) ? not with the M300 SE obviously :)

SMSL could have disable the class H operation (class AB instead) because i don't see why MBO would have lied about that

it would be a good new because for a desktop dac/amp the efficiency is less important than the clicks !
so basically , what I have to do is , listen the 15s clips down there?
Okay , now I can confirm the microclicks is real.

Actually I have not noticed any microclicks before , how do we fix that?

Leonm771

have you managed to identify the microclicks in the RAA test (https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/demo-cs131.php#gsc.tab=0) ? not with the M300 SE obviously :)

SMSL could have disable the class H operation (class AB instead) because i don't see why MBO would have lied about that

it would be a good new because for a desktop dac/amp the efficiency is less important than the clicks !
I can identify the microclicks at -23.4dBFS .
M300SE stopped for a sec.

taudier

so basically , what I have to do is , listen the 15s clips down there?
Okay , now I can confirm the microclicks is real.

Actually I have not noticed any microclicks before , how do we fix that?
Yes, listen and compare the recordings of the first set with the recordings of the second set. You should be able to identify the microclicks by comparaison. After, you test the M300 SE with the recordings of the second set or the original music, Dune Sketchbook Soundtrack - Song Of The Sister, Hans Zimmer.

you can try to ask SMSL for a firmware to fix that or return the product !

Last edited:

Emulator II

I just took the test. I first listened to the original file through the headphones connected to my phone. In the same way I listened to the test files with the microclicks and could hear them clearly, especially in the files with -23.4dB and -27.3dB.

After that I listened to the original file through the headphone output of the M300 SE, both at reduced volume and at full volume. Then I repeated the whole thing through the speakers, both in preamp mode at full and reduced volume and in DAC mode. I couldn't hear any microclicks in either case.

Top Bottom