• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice on floor speakers, budget around 1,500 $

DanielT

Major Contributor
Although, the Yamaha and the Lintons, do have a nice, retro 70s style, that would look good together. :)

Indeed! The look of the Yamaha has grown on me and it would match very well with the Lintons.
Absolutely, I agree. It's a neat speaker -amp combo.:) At least that's what I would have chosen with that budget.

Kaffe, Here you can calculate a little on this with amp power. There are also other threads with a similar theme that I refer to. Just a little note. Subwoofer's working range, the lowest frequencies, then those calculators don't quite match. A subwoofer can easily need upwards of 500 watts (especially if it has low sensitivity) to function good in a normal listening room at normal to slightly higher volume levels, but beyond that it can give you a small indication.:)
(on the other hand, tweeters usually need very few watts).

See it for a clue:

Yep. I couldn’t really adjust the volume properly
That's tricky. I bought a vintage receiver for my parents. It had fixed steps on the volume control. They play exclusively at a certain low volume but then it turned out that either the volume was too low or the volume was a little too high with the settings of that volume control. So I had to fix another receiver, or in this case amp for them.

DearSX

Linton and Polk Reserve (R600 or R700) series are very good speakers in that price range that I have owned. Polk R700 is more full range and neutral, Linton is a good all round for its size.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I paid $750 for a used pair of Revel F12's.

Rick "and then spend the rest on other stuff" Denney

OP
K

kaffe

Do you have multiple sources, CD player, tuner, turntable, etc., or just the streamer?

If you only have a single source, and don't need the multiple inputs provided by a traditional integrated amplifier, like the Yamaha you mentioned, you might consider one of the inexpensive TPA3255 based amps, some of which offer very good performance for the price:

Pretty much state of the art, if you DIY or spend a bit more:

Although, the Yamaha and the Lintons, do have a nice, retro 70s style, that would look good together. :)
I forgot to add that I'm only looking to connect a streamer. So plenty of options to choose from.

on sale
Interesting pair!
Absolutely, I agree. It's a neat speaker -amp combo.:) At least that's what I would have chosen with that budget.

Kaffe, Here you can calculate a little on this with amp power. There are also other threads with a similar theme that I refer to. Just a little note. Subwoofer's working range, the lowest frequencies, then those calculators don't quite match. A subwoofer can easily need upwards of 500 watts (especially if it has low sensitivity) to function good in a normal listening room at normal to slightly higher volume levels, but beyond that it can give you a small indication.:)

See it for a clue:

That's tricky. I bought a vintage receiver for my parents. It had fixed steps on the volume control. They play exclusively at a certain low volume but then it turned out that either the volume was too low or the volume was a little too high with the settings of that volume control. So I had to fix another receiver, or in this case amp for them.
Glad to hear it! Sounds like I'm on the right track here :)

I'll take a look at the thread.

If I decide to pick a subwoofer at some point, I would probably pick an active one. However, from what I have read about the Lintons it probably won't be necessary with one. I hope not since it will get a bit too crammed in my living room. As far as I know, the sub would have to be placed somewhere between the speakers, right? If that's the case I am sort of limited.

Edit: what an awesome tool you've made there.
Honestly I don't know what data to plug in, but I'm figuring I can't be way off with these:

Distance to listener: 3 meters
Desired SPL at listener: 85 dB
Loudspeaker sensitivity rating: 85 dB (according to Wharfedale they have a 90 dB rating, but I read several places it's in fact lower, somewhere around 85 if I remember correctly). Just found out, the 90 dB is at 2.83v @1m - no idea how to take that into consideration.
Amplifier headroom: 10 dB (really not sure what is advisable here)

With 10 dB headroom I would need 90 watts.
What about impedance by the way? How is that not part of the calculation (newbie here)?

Last edited:
OP
K

kaffe

Linton and Polk Reserve (R600 or R700) series are very good speakers in that price range that I have owned. Polk R700 is more full range and neutral, Linton is a good all round for its size.
I have taken a closer look at the Polk Reserve too, but they are quite a lot more expensive where I live. It's almost twice as much for the R700 compared to the Lintons.
The Lintons I can grab for around 1,240 on sale, stands included :)

MKR

Major Contributor

See it for a clue:

For what it’s worth, I had no issue adjusting volume using WiiM dig volume control direct to amp, worked very well. Maybe an impedance mismatch on your side

OP
K

kaffe

For what it’s worth, I had no issue adjusting volume using WiiM dig volume control direct to amp, worked very well. Maybe an impedance mismatch on your side
Had the WiiM connected to a pair of 4 ohm speakers with around 92 dB sensitivity. Volume increased quite a lot with each "click".
On sale: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...exp_id=a9b5f528-dab0-4f1b-a2e8-ce4d6f6deb83-1

Even the 48v power supply won't give 300wpc, but probably more than the Yamaha. Decisions, decisions. :)
Oh, yes. At least I am pretty convinced about the speakers! :)

I need to figure out that tool Daniel T has linked to above. For example, I don't know how to convert the sensitivity indicated by Wharfedale (90 dB 2.83v @1m) to loudspeaker sensitivity at 1 watt at 1 meter. In general, I don't expect to blast the speakers, but I would appreciate avoiding any clipping on the rare occasion I would turn up the volume. I suppose I wouldn't care to turn it up above 90 dB under any circumstances. How many dBs for amplifier headroom is recommendable?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Maybe but it was an old receiver they had and not WiiM. With that receiver 8 Ohm, 89dB sensitive speakers. Pretty standard. There was just too much difference in volume between the steps on their stepped volume pot.

MKR

Major Contributor
Maybe but it was an old receiver they had and not WiiM. With that receiver 8 Ohm, 89dB sensitive speakers. Pretty standard. There was just too much difference in volume between on their stepped volume control
Sure, only saying in some cases, WiiM volume control works well and can’t blanket state it doesn’t work

al2002

Of that list, and based on measurements only, the Warfedales would be my top pick. You might consider the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX, and KEF R3 (non-meta) if you can find them. I personally would want a sub with any of the listed speakers however.
Agree

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Another option that is supposed to be pretty good is the Heco Aurora 1000. Available on Amazon under $900 with free trial and returns.

1703289533370.png

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First... Lets just filter the test results

1703290321518.png

1. Keeping the price low - allows a small Subwoofer budget (and lord knows, a sub is a must!)
  2. Keeping the sensitivity high (90db/1M/1W)- allows you to use your somewhat anaemic amp to provide good service
  3. Keeping the measurements and score in mind - either the Infinity or the Revel will do the trick
  4. Keeping the looks in mind - only the Revel is decent looking
  5. Keeping Rick "knows what he's talking about" Denney's post in mind - see if you can grab those Revel's on the used market (speakers don't wear out) and use the savings elsewhere - right @rdenney ?

Last edited:

MarkS

Major Contributor
List price on the Revel F35 is now $880 each, but they are currently on sale; Crutchfield has them for $616 each.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Crutchfield is also currently selling the Revel Concerta2 F36 tower loudspeaker for $770 each - list price is $1,100 each.

OP
K

kaffe

View attachment 336409

1. Keeping the price low - allows a small Subwoofer budget (and lord knows, a sub is a must!)
  2. Keeping the sensitivity high (90db/1M/1W)- allows you to use your somewhat anaemic amp to provide good service
  3. Keeping the measurements and score in mind - either the Infinity or the Revel will do the trick
  5. Keeping Rick "knows what he's talking about" Denney's post in mind - see if you can grab those Revel's on the used market (speakers don't wear out) and use the savings elsewhere - right @rdenney ?
Crutchfield is also currently selling the Revel Concerta2 F36 tower loudspeaker for $770 each - list price is $1,100 each.

View attachment 336409

List price on the Revel F35 is now $880 each, but they are currently on sale; Crutchfield has them for $616 each.
Unfortunately, I am having a difficult time finding these where I live (DK), and even in the EU. If I manage to find a pair, it looks like they will be much more expensive than in the US.

The Lintons however, I can get for just 1,240 for a pair, including stands.

StefanSweden

@kaffe ... Sverige?

I have lately read good reviews on the Q Acoustics 5040. No idea how they messure, but perhaps others is a vendor nearby for a listening session, If they fancy you.

daverosenthal

Forum Donor
I'm running my Lintons with a WiiM pro plus and a Topping PA5 II amp--both are quite cheap. The PA5 has a volume control on it so you can use that to get the gain structure of the system correct and them the volume steps on the WiiM should work well (i.e. you'll be using more of the full range). I usually just use my phone's touchscreen to do volume and have had no problem, but I do agree that the WiiM remote's volume steps are not tiny, and that might be an issue if you like to dial in a very precise level. I will say that I really like the Lintons (see my post about them here.)

OP
K

kaffe

@kaffe ... Sverige?

I have lately read good reviews on the Q Acoustics 5040. No idea how they messure, but perhaps others is a vendor nearby for a listening session, If they fancy you.
Copenhagen :)

Looks like those are a bit tricky to come across in DK as well. So far I mostly
just seen search results from GB.

I'm running my Lintons with a WiiM pro plus and a Topping PA5 II amp--both are quite cheap. The PA5 has a volume control on it so you can use that to get the gain structure of the system correct and them the volume steps on the WiiM should work well (i.e. you'll be using more of the full range). I usually just use my phone's touchscreen to do volume and have had no problem, but I do agree that the WiiM remote's volume steps are not tiny, and that might be an issue if you like to dial in a very precise level. I will say that I really like the Lintons (see my post about them here.)
I’m getting very convinced I should just buy the Lintons. The price also seems very favorable, at least in my case here. I see the them go for 1,500 $ on sale at Crutchfield in the US, I can get them for around 1,240 here. Normally I would have to add +25% or so to the US price.

You write:

“Personally, I don't like beaming in the upper frequency range and prefer the 'room filling' sound of wider dispersion speakers.”

I like this description of what to expect from them. It’s not easy for me to imagine the difference in sound between different types of speakers, but this helps to clarify some.

May I ask the dimensions of your room where the Lintons are placed and the distance to the wall?

About the amplifier choice:

I honestly prefer getting a properly time tested product to one which may have very fine stats and come with state-of-the-art components.

In that regard the Yamaha looks to be a solid choice. I think the loudness control could come in handy too.

From what I have read, the A-S501 should provide sufficient juice for the Lintons, at least I have read about multiple people doing this pairing. However, if that is actually not the case, I would naturally have to look for another amplifier. Also, if you can expect more clean and superior sound with another sort of pairing, which isn’t much more expensive, I would be inclined to consider that option even if the product is quite new.

Top Bottom