• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice on floor speakers, budget around 1,500 $

kaffe

Hello

I’m considering buying a pair of speakers to go along with a new amplifier and streamer.

I haven’t bought anything yet, but I’m pretty sure about the amplifier, Yamaha A-S501, and streamer, WiiM Pro.

I hope to find a pair that can play nicely without the need of a subwoofer due to space limitations. Also, the speakers will be placed in a square sized room which is 4 x 4 m (or approximately 13 x 13 feet).

So far I have come across these speakers within my budget:

Wharfedale Linton 85 (1,240 $)
KEF Q550 (1,180 $)
DYNAUDIO EMIT 30 (1,270 $)

Planning on buying an UMIK-1 mic and using free REW software for room correction so I am not really worried about acoustics.

Can you recommend any of these speakers or perhaps other pairs within my 1,500 $ budget?

Inputs are much appreciated.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Hello

I’m considering buying a pair of speakers to go along with a new amplifier and streamer.

I haven’t bought anything yet, but I’m pretty sure about the amplifier, Yamaha A-S501, and streamer, WiiM Pro.

I hope to find a pair that can play nicely without the need of a subwoofer due to space limitations. Also, the speakers will be placed in a square sized room which is 4 x 4 m (or approximately 13 x 13 feet).

So far I have come across these speakers within my budget:

Wharfedale Linton 85 (1,240 $)
KEF Q550 (1,180 $)
DYNAUDIO EMIT 30 (1,270 $)

Planning on buying an UMIK-1 mic and using free REW software for room correction so I am not really worried about acoustics.

Can you recommend any of these speakers or perhaps other pairs within my 1,500 $ budget?

Inputs are much appreciated.
Of that list, and based on measurements only, the Warfedales would be my top pick. You might consider the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX, and KEF R3 (non-meta) if you can find them. I personally would want a sub with any of the listed speakers however.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
OP
K

kaffe

I have been spending the last 8 hours or so reading positive reviews on those.

Looks like they will do well on their own too.

Now it’s a question of which amp to pick :)

Wondering how the Yamaha A-S501 would manage them.

D

Deleted member 48726

You can't go wrong with a Yamaha amp. They have roughly made the same amplifier for 35 years with different skin. They always deliver what the spec sheey says. The 501 would be a nice pairing with the Lintons.

Also take a look at the following thread-->

MKR

Major Contributor
Revel F206 or
JBL Studio 580 or 590

And for all in one preamp/amp/streamer, tough to beat the value of the SVS …

OP
K

kaffe

Revel F206 or
JBL Studio 580 or 590

And for all in one preamp/amp/streamer, tough to beat the value of the SVS …

Those speakers are out of my price range, sadly. But I think I will get a long way by buying those Wharfedale.

Been considering that one from SVS, also Bluenote, Sonos and what have you. But at this point I’m more incline to get a better sounding one by trading off the HDMI Arc connectivity.

MKR

Major Contributor
Those speakers are out of my price range, sadly. But I think I will get a long way by buying those Wharfedale.

Been considering that one from SVS, also Bluenote, Sonos and what have you. But at this point I’m more incline to get a better sounding one by trading off the HDMI Arc connectivity.
Your budget is $1500 total? Or $1500 only for speakers?

And note never pay full retail for the JBLs, they have major discounts on these, but you have to be patient. I got my 590s for $760!

As to the SVS, it is a superb piece of kit for the price. My son actually has the SVS driving pair of F206 and the results are excellent.

As to WiiM, it is also excellent (I have the Pro driving a JDS Labs DAC) and it is excellent. But then you need separate amp (WiiM can be run as preamp to great effect). There is also the new WiiM amp.

steve59

Major Contributor
I really like Dali speakers, especially what they can do on a budget. Kef is nice, but often the bass doesn't quite match the level of the upper mids until the biggest boxes. other quality brands that pay attention to realistic audio fans from Canada
Paradigm
PSB
Is Mission still around? Have fun with it.

Reactions: MKR

DanielT

Major Contributor
I'm putting these in as a suggestion. Always fun to have a few different speakers to choose from::)

1699003074437.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe the new integrated by Buckeye? Should be out soon as integrated only, using the WiiM Pro Plus as DAC.

OP
K

kaffe

Your budget is $1500 total? Or $1500 only for speakers?

And note never pay full retail for the JBLs, they have major discounts on these, but you have to be patient. I got my 590s for $760!

As to the SVS, it is a superb piece of kit for the price. My son actually has the SVS driving pair of F206 and the results are excellent.

As to WiiM, it is also excellent (I have the Pro driving a JDS Labs DAC) and it is excellent. But then you need separate amp (WiiM can be run as preamp to great effect). There is also the new WiiM amp.
I have around 2,200 dollars to play with in total.

I just returned a WiiM Amp due to coil whine and high power consumption while in standby mode. Wouldn’t mind going for another WiiM, though. However, my short experience with the Amp taught me that I need more control over volume than what I get from that sort of streamer.

steve59

Major Contributor
Dali oberon series come up for half price and are worth a demo. I have an Anthem 225i I bought brand new and used less than a year that's sitting on the shelf complete with original packing. look it up and make me an offer.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Do you have multiple sources, CD player, tuner, turntable, etc., or just the streamer?

If you only have a single source, and don't need the multiple inputs provided by a traditional integrated amplifier, like the Yamaha you mentioned, you might consider one of the inexpensive TPA3255 based amps, some of which offer very good performance for the price:

Pretty much state of the art, if you DIY or spend a bit more:

Although, the Yamaha and the Lintons, do have a nice, retro 70s style, that would look good together. :)

MKR

Major Contributor
I have around 2,200 dollars to play with in total.

I just returned a WiiM Amp due to coil whine and high power consumption while in standby mode. Wouldn’t mind going for another WiiM, though. However, my short experience with the Amp taught me that I need more control over volume than what I get from that sort of streamer.
Bummer on the WiiM amp. What do you mean by “more control over volume”? Finer volume steps?

OP
K

kaffe

Bummer on the WiiM amp. What do you mean by “more control over volume”? Finer volume steps?
Yep. I couldn’t really adjust the volume properly

OP
K

kaffe

Do you have multiple sources, CD player, tuner, turntable, etc., or just the streamer?

If you only have a single source, and don't need the multiple inputs provided by a traditional integrated amplifier, like the Yamaha you mentioned, you might consider one of the inexpensive TPA3255 based amps, some of which offer very good performance for the price:

Pretty much state of the art, if you DIY or spend a bit more:

Although, the Yamaha and the Lintons, do have a nice, retro 70s style, that would look good together. :)
Indeed! The look of the Yamaha has grown on me and it would match very well with the Lintons.

I suppose it will provide enough juice as well for my purposes? I’m living in a small apartment.

Alternatively there is this Hypex amp: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...2x250w-4-ohm-32bit-768khz-dsd256-p-16952.html

I could hook that up to a WiiM Mini. Would cost more than the Yamaha option, though.
But not sure if it would be an improvement over the Yamaha. Maybe a different more clean sound?

Top Bottom