• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier for Wharfedale Linton, budget $ 1,300

OP
K

kaffe

@kaffe ufff use direct not pure direct mode. What did I told you exactly between the pretty good to good enough performance it really is like that but on another side use of DSP room correction or without it is definitely DSP.
That I also expect to do, but I am still curious how the phrasing in the manual is to be understood as per the doubt I mentioned.

I expect to buy Dirac Live for my MacBook Pro within the next couple of months. Should be able to connect the laptop to the amp via USB-C > USB-B. Hopefully there won't be some data loss or some such damn thing in that case which makes it necessary to use another DAC for conversion :D

DanielT

Major Contributor
But other types of music may be more "revealing", albeit I probably still won't be able to tell any difference.
It can be so IF the conditions for it exist. Then with extremely dynamic music, at really high volume. Then your home HiFi solution is fucxxx:)
But on the other hand, as you said, you don't play at high volume.And then I'm talking about really high volume.

PA exist for a reason. They are made to play at high volumes. If home HiFi could handle it, the PA stuff would not have been needed.:)

Not to mention live music. There is no electronic solution that can cope with that dynamic. Imagine listening to this in place::)

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
That I also expect to do, but I am still curious how the phrasing in the manual is to be understood as per the doubt I mentioned.

I expect to buy Dirac Live for my MacBook Pro within the next couple of months. Should be able to connect the laptop to the amp via USB-C > USB-B. Hopefully there won't be some data loss or some such damn thing in that case which makes it necessary to use another DAC for conversion :D
I don't really know how's the USB audio support on the OSX this day's as I don't use it. So that's question for someone else input is USBA 2.0 and 1.0 backwards compatible as usual.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • When using Pure Direct, transmissions to the MusicCast Network are not available, except the audio of network content and Bluetooth devices.
Can someone please explain to me how this is supposed to be understood? As I read it you can still stream with Airplay via WiFi, for example.
Airplay doesn't use the MusicCast Network. Look under Airplay on page 72 of the manual.
( AirPlay audio cannot be transmitted to the MusicCast Network.

Golf

Another great advantage of the R-N800A: It even comes with radio tuners. Not only FM but also AM. So in case of a national emergency you will have a good chance to receive quite important emergency information broadcasts just in time before it’s too late. While your neighbors with decent 2-ch stereo gear just go on listening to great sounding music instead ;)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It can be so IF the conditions for it exist. Then with extremely dynamic music, at really high volume. Then your home HiFi solution is fucxxx:)
But on the other hand, as you said, you don't play at high volume.And then I'm talking about really high volume.

PA exist for a reason. They are made to play at high volumes. If home HiFi could handle it, the PA stuff would not have been needed.:)

Not to mention live music. There is no electronic solution that can cope with that dynamic. Imagine listening to this in place::)

Had a felling you are about to start building a transformer station in your back yard. What's more shocking to me is when people in tugh and rugh climate with high humidity and temperature look you funny when you propose them such with very good cooling and quality, capacity and adequate.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Had a felling you are about to start building a transformer station in your back yard. What's more shocking to me is when people in tugh and rugh climate with high humidity and temperature look you funny when you propose them such with very good cooling and quality, capacity and adequate.
Heh heh, but indoors then?:)

OP
K

kaffe

Airplay doesn't use the MusicCast Network. Look under Airplay on page 72 of the manual.
Great. In that case I should be clear no matter how the phrase is to be understood. Still curious what limitations Pure Direct cause in relation to MusicCast Network though.

Michael_B

Apologies if this has been suggested elsewhere in the thread, but I’m driving my Lintons with a Schiit Aegir and they sound great.
No graphs or measurements but plenty of detail, good soundstage and separation, not fatiguing.
And sounds better than the same speakers and sources (below) fed into a Marantz PM6006 or a PS Audio Sprout II.
Sources: Bluesound Node into RME ADI-2 DAC or Rega 6 w/ Rega Ania MC cartridge into Cambridge Duo phono stage.
They can’t play super-loud (if that’s a need, then you could buy another and run them in mono) but to my ears, they make music very easy to listen to.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies if this has been suggested elsewhere in the thread, but I’m driving my Lintons with a Schiit Aegir and they sound great.
No graphs or measurements but plenty of detail, good soundstage and separation, not fatiguing.
And sounds better than the same speakers and sources (below) fed into a Marantz PM6006 or a PS Audio Sprout II.
Sources: Bluesound Node into RME ADI-2 DAC or Rega 6 w/ Rega Ania MC cartridge into Cambridge Duo phono stage.
They can’t play super-loud (if that’s a need, then you could buy another and run them in mono) but to my ears, they make music very easy to listen to.
The Aegir tested fine, but is quite power-limited, even in mono. The Vidar does better on that point.

Last edited:

mglobe

Forum Donor
Also the OP is in Denmark I believe. Schiit gear is likely difficult/expensive to get.

D

Deleted member 48726

Also the OP is in Denmark I believe. Schiit gear is likely difficult/expensive to get.
There is a Schiit Europe page-->

I find their products in general expensive for what you get. OP might think differently.

OP
K

kaffe

There is a Schiit Europe page-->

I find their products in general expensive for what you get. OP might think differently.
Already went with the Yamaha R-N800A. I’ll give it a chance and see how it it works out.

djb

Interesting how this thread resolved for the initial poster. I've been following closely since I also want to upgrade the amplifier for my Linton's and am more undecided than ever. The Yamaha 701 seems like a good match asthetically and sound wise. Also looking at Cambridge axr100.

May I ask your opinions? I have a Denon dra697 with pre-outs and a Schiit Modi dac. Would you get an integrated amp or just use the Denon as a preamp with an upgraded external amp like an Emotiva basx A2 and later upgrade to a better preamp?

Last edited:

Golf

Given the budget, my first rough idea would definitely be to find the best 2-channel integrated amplifier available for $ 1,000, while the remaining $ 300 could go for a suitable streaming device.

My second option would be to find a good combination of these two instead. Nevertheless, there don’t seem to be too many of them in the market. Maybe:

• Marantz PM7000N

• NAD C700

• Cambridge Audio Evo 75

(I don’t recommend them, but would have a close look at them, as they probably fit in the budget)

mwlf

Waiting for the Lintons to be back in stock here (2-3 weeks), and will order a pair (black ash).
Now it comes the hard part - what amp to pair with them? i listen jazz (mostly vocal covers), 60-70 rock, generally enjoyable music, at low to medium volumes; i am not interested to sound precise and detailed, i want to sound musical and likeable (around 50y).
I see here most prefer yamaha with lintons; so my current list to test at dealer:
- yamaha: as 701, as 1200, as 2200
- audiolab: 9000a
- leak
- and some used options: luxman 507uxII or ux; yamaha as3200
for those amps without dac, i will test with chord qutest
streamer: most probably bluesound (now i have a melco streamer, but i don't think it's woth to keep it, i better sell it)

what do you think?

D

Deleted member 48726

Waiting for the Lintons to be back in stock here (2-3 weeks), and will order a pair (black ash).
Now it comes the hard part - what amp to pair with them? i listen jazz (mostly vocal covers), 60-70 rock, generally enjoyable music, at low to medium volumes; i am not interested to sound precise and detailed, i want to sound musical and likeable (around 50y).
I see here most prefer yamaha with lintons; so my current list to test at dealer:
- leak
streamer: most probably bluesound (now i have a melco streamer, but i don't think it's woth to keep it, i better sell it)

what do you think?
Well. I would think you would find much information in this very thread.

Svend P

- leak

what do you think?
They will all sound the same. No difference in blind tests. Read this from page 80 and onward

https://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-HiFI-Stereo/80s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1987-01.pdf

DanielT

Major Contributor
They will all sound the same. No difference in blind tests. Read this from page 80 and onward

https://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-HiFI-Stereo/80s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1987-01.pdf
If you don't want them to sound different::facepalm:o_O
Screenshot_2024-01-20_191349.jpg

Edit:
Incidentally, that pdf you refer to I have read before. Very interesting.:)
Now I remember, see #116.

Last edited:
Top Bottom