• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz NR1510 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 221 81.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But is that Denon worthy of the "high performance" moniker, or is this rather expensive unit just better than the slouches it competes against? Amir recommended it so it's not bad, but I should think that at least in future an AVR could do much better.

dtaylo1066

Today is garbage collection day on my street. If I owned this POS I think I would toss it in the garbage bin. Pathetic excuse for a DAC if it were 1995, let alone 2022. Major brand dumpster fire.

SuicideSquid

Going to make a somewhat lukewarm defence of the 1510. I haven't actually used it, but I have the very similar 1608 from a few years ago. Not sure if the 1608 measures as badly (it uses a slightly beefier amplifier section and I believe a different DAC, so it could be different).

I wouldn't recommend building a high-end music system around these receivers. However, if you're looking for a receiver to use in a general purpose system, or a system that's primarily for movies and gaming, they're awesome. You get tonnes of HDMI inputs, really excellent video upscaling and lots of options, built-in room correction - the works - for under $1,000. In a situation where a bit of high-end roll-off and a moderate amount of distortion aren't going to trouble you (like movies and games), it's a really solid option.

It is a shame, though, that the unit performs this badly since we've seen many cheaper options put up much better numbers and it seems like mostly laziness on the part of Marantz engineers. It's also a shame that the preamp outputs on these units are so shoddy - I ended up upgrading my 1608 to a Denon 3700h because I was switching to using a separate power amplifier and the preouts on the 1608 just would not output a respectable signal level. The 15/16/17xx series, based on their size and feature set, would make for a really fantastic preamp if they just had decent DAC performance and could output at a reasonable level from their preouts.

I think people who are saying this unit is "garbage" and a "waste of money" are kind of missing the point, and not paying attention to the typical use scenario for a receiver like this. Yes the DAC and amplifier are disappointing and should be better, but people who are buying these are generally not buying them for a high-end music system. They're buying them to plug three game systems, a bluray player, and a streaming box into it and run an inexpensive 5.1 system for movies, games, and occasional music listening. For that use case, these small Marantz units are absolutely fine.

Audioagnostic

I have a NR1504 that I use to my complete satisfaction coupled to a rPi streamer and TV. The small formfactor is perfect.
There seems to be a, measurement proven, synergy with my Dali floorstanders.as they are very bright and now tamed by the high frequency roll-off of the AVR...

Just kidding, I can probably not hear above 15k anyway.

The unit is very reliable and has served me for a decade? already.

I should not have read this as I now think about upgrading. This will likely be pointless as I use the unit only for tv in a small room.

Doctors11

Going to make a somewhat lukewarm defence of the 1510. I haven't actually used it, but I have the very similar 1608 from a few years ago. Not sure if the 1608 measures as badly (it uses a slightly beefier amplifier section and I believe a different DAC, so it could be different).

I wouldn't recommend building a high-end music system around these receivers. However, if you're looking for a receiver to use in a general purpose system, or a system that's primarily for movies and gaming, they're awesome. You get tonnes of HDMI inputs, really excellent video upscaling and lots of options, built-in room correction - the works - for under $1,000. In a situation where a bit of high-end roll-off and a moderate amount of distortion aren't going to trouble you (like movies and games), it's a really solid option.

It is a shame, though, that the unit performs this badly since we've seen many cheaper options put up much better numbers and it seems like mostly laziness on the part of Marantz engineers. It's also a shame that the preamp outputs on these units are so shoddy - I ended up upgrading my 1608 to a Denon 3700h because I was switching to using a separate power amplifier and the preouts on the 1608 just would not output a respectable signal level. The 15/16/17xx series, based on their size and feature set, would make for a really fantastic preamp if they just had decent DAC performance and could output at a reasonable level from their preouts.

I think people who are saying this unit is "garbage" and a "waste of money" are kind of missing the point, and not paying attention to the typical use scenario for a receiver like this. Yes the DAC and amplifier are disappointing and should be better, but people who are buying these are generally not buying them for a high-end music system. They're buying them to plug three game systems, a bluray player, and a streaming box into it and run an inexpensive 5.1 system for movies, games, and occasional music listening. For that use case, these small Marantz units are absolutely fine.
It looks like the new Marantz Cinema 70 has the pre-out functions.

Marc v E

Major Contributor

I can understand what you're saying, because I really see the added value of AVR's. Still,now that you have the Denon 3700, do you hear a difference compared to the Marantz ?

SuicideSquid

I can understand what you're saying, because I really see the added value of AVR's. Still,now that you have the Denon 3700, do you hear a difference compared to the Marantz ?

No, but partly this is due to my setup. I'm currently listening only at low-to-medium volume in stereo in an apartment. I've noticed no difference between the Denon and Marantz.

We're renovating a home and when completed, the sound system will be in the living room, which will have overhead Atmos speakers, a 6.1.4 setup with room treatment, and it is a much larger space (a ~400sq ft room vs. a 200sq ft room). In that space, I think it's possible I'd hear a difference between stock Denon and stock Marantz, particularly at louder volumes where those bad distortion numbers might come into play, but I'm not sure.

Partly I upgraded for Atmos, and partly for better pre-outs because when I move to surround sound I'm going to be running the front three speakers through an active DSP crossover and then into an outboard amp (Buckeye 6 channel hypex). I absolutely expect that to make an audible difference.

anphex

Forum Donor
I not only do I love those measurements because they're easy to read, understand and in most cases entertaining, but because they instantly invalidate all bullshit reviews out there and make them look completely stupid.
Thinking about it, maybe "old school" hifi bloggers and reviewers were the first influencers!

Last edited:

usersky

Forum Donor
After 69 years in this business Marantz produces these results? Shouldn't a company's products get better over time? This was disappointing.
They seem to take pride in being defective... Market differentiation? God forbid, i still cannot wash my eyes of that filter...

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still I think the discrepancy needs some explanation.

NR1710. HDMI and analogue out measured with Transit USB ADC to computer. Very similar Amirs result

1670961021109.jpeg

The same with a portable computer with no mains connected:
1670961241223.png

So what is going on? Looks to me as USB packet noise through ground.

Kevinfc

I have an instinctive disdain for these big name brands and never take them seriously. Not saying I’m always right, there’s probably some exceptions, but I think I’m right more than I’m wrong. Looks like this one proves that.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The analog amplifier section is *way* better on the NR1608 but I am not sure why. The DAC I measured in the past and I thought it was somewhere around the 80's though. Not super great but not super horrible. It didn't have a lot of power though since you run into the clipping issue that the X3500H has.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Hmmm it seemed to me that what Amir explained is the the ECO circuit is broken? I think when he turned it on it cut the power by 70 to 80%? If that is true then the ECO circuit is broken, or they have a product defect that is getting out the door in massive quantities. I have never seen any ECO circuit do what this one does. Something seems drastically wrong. I realize the entire unit is cheap and one step away from junk, but still that ECO circuit..............

norman bates

Forum Donor
I'm wondering if it needs a bigger transformer, more capacitance, or shielding...........

That 60hz intermodding is rough.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The analog amplifier section is *way* better on the NR1608 but I am not sure why. The DAC I measured in the past and I thought it was somewhere around the 80's though. Not super great but not super horrible. It didn't have a lot of power though since you run into the clipping issue that the X3500H has.
If just looking at the analogue pre in and out without DAC on the NR1710 it is not too bad except for the mains noise. So I wonder what the differences are here…

1670967729590.png

DonR

Major Contributor
I'm wondering if it needs a bigger transformer, more capacitance, or shielding...........

There does seem to be a lot of leakage from the mains. Definitely a lot of cost reduction in the design.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you mean the jitter, Marantz left out the jitter reducing component in the slim line series. Too bad.

DonR

Major Contributor
If you mean the jitter, Marantz left out the jitter reducing component in the slim line series. Too bad.
The 60Hz and harmonics are also present in the measurements of the analog inputs.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 60Hz and harmonics are also present in the measurements of the analog inputs.
Yes. But the DAC surffers from 100/120 Hz jitter which is PSU generated. 50/60 Hz noise is seen in many AVRs.

Top Bottom