• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz NR1510 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 221 81.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

respice finem

Major Contributor
That's what all the DAC measurements are.
BTW: IDK which DAC chip this one uses, but many AVRs and AV processors use rather premium-ish DACs, yet deliver disappointing results. It would IMHO be hardly reasonable to think, that the manufacturers don't know how to implement them correctly. So, why is that? Cost cutting? General "design laziness"?

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I was hoping one of these slim models might be okay for a bedroom 2.1 system. Alas this comes up too short for even that use.

All I really want is subwoofer output, high-pass on the mains and some bass management via microphone. I’ll bet many people with an AVR don’t even have surrounds and AVRs are generally way too big. Why is nobody addressing this market?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
it uses an AKM 4458 which has a price of about... $9

typical midrange thing, pre factory fire

you can make a good dac with it... but once you slap in all the circuitry needed to make this receiver go then its very hard to keep the signal clean as one would like

also even with pure direct the circuitry is all still there so.

Bogda

I was hoping one of these slim models might be okay for a bedroom 2.1 system. Alas this comes up too short for even that use.

All I really want is subwoofer output, high-pass on the mains and some bass management via microphone. I’ll bet many people with an AVR don’t even have surrounds and AVRs are generally way too big. Why is nobody addressing this market?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
marantz among others do try to make 2.1 receivers like the aforementioned NR1200

yamaha and onkyo also do 2 channel units with network and the like... HOWEVER there are questions how well they do it

and they're still full 19" wide so may not work too well in non traditonal setups

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Finally an AVR that doesn't weigh a ton or look like a mini-stove masquerading as an AV Receiver!
I bought one a few years ago. First I bought an expensive AVR furniture piece and much to my dismay, the spot for my even more expensive Denon receiver was not high enough. So I got the slim as a necessity. Then I tried various new speakers and sound bars which sounded pretty bad. Especially the Martin Logan slim as left right and center. So, now, I'm thinking it may not have been the speakers - it may be the Marantz?

I ended up selling everything on eBay and getting a Sonos ARC 5.1 setup which sounds much better for movies. I have another room for serious stereo music.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Look at that distortion, Marantz managed to create a tube-amp without tubes. What a marvel of technology.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Those bad measurements depends mainly on the slow digital filter . Denons AVRs is often similar internally but they always have steep digital filters = much better SINAD .
Maybe a way of making Denon/Marantz sounding slightly different despite its often the same internal construction ?

respice finem

Major Contributor
Those bad measurements depends mainly on the slow digital filter . Denons AVRs is often similar internally but they always have steep digital filters = much better SINAD .
Maybe a way of making Denon/Marantz sounding slightly different despite its often the same internal construction ?
OK, worse is also different :p

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
wouldnt surprise me if there's a cadre of japanese engineers who are channelling the ghost of ken ishiwata who think the 'marantz sound' should be in every amp no matter the cost

joeren

wouldnt surprise me if there's a cadre of japanese engineers who are channelling the ghost of ken ishiwata who think the 'marantz sound' should be in every amp no matter the cost
I think it’s just laziness on the part of their quality control. It almost looks like they don’t have the ability to measure their equipment. Even a refurbished unit should meet the specifications Marantz published.

usersky

Forum Donor
I don't think anyone can hear anything wrong with this AVR except maybe a lack of power, the noise performance is pretty impressive for the price.
I have 1509 in a small bedroom with Elac DBR 62 plus a KEF Q350 as center. Indeed is sounds adequate for my space and requirements, a bit low on power but no other audible issues. Audyssey and AutoEq however work poorly compared with Dirac in other rooms. It's not a new unit so I was quite surprised less than a year ago getting a firmware update. Spotify works perfectly on it.
I also have an even older 1504, no spotify or wifi there but the rest is completely symilar. This second unit is used in a non crytical place, with Monitor Audio Bronze 2 LCR and a cheap subwoofer, just doing some background music from time to time, conveniently connected to a RPI3b through HDMI.
Both of these units were aquired second hand, dirty cheap and I didn't encounter any problem with them.
Thanks for the review, i hoped for this for quite some time, the results were no suprise I guess. But damn, that filter is an insult...

Tangband

Major Contributor
Yes, I think it might be the ”Marantz house sound ” . The cost of doing it technicaly right is zero, so it must be deliberately. You see the same slow filter in almost all Marantz AVR:s . I also guess that some audiophiles actually prefere the sound of a slow digital filter .

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Rather than the engineers, remember that Sound United use a "book" to maintain the historical approach of the different brands they own. This "Marantz sound" is probably described in that brand book, like the porthole. So the performance of products doesn't improve over time. Somebody needs to tell their marketing people that the aspiration to excellence is the thing to value from the earlier days of audio, not the sound quality that they could actually realise back then for their efforts. I suspect the engineers these days first design an excellent product, then try to build in that "sound", or claim to their bosses that the filter adds the sound.

It also feels a bit, at least with the stereo range, that in trying to hold a situation where the "sound gets better" as you pay more, performance instead is unnecessarily poorer for the mainstream products.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

vert

Forum Donor
I'm done with "home theater" and selling my 1508 and subwoofer. The Loxjie A30 replacing the Marantz sounds very audibly better - and I don't claim to have golden ears: I was floored at first how much better the miniature Chinese amp was: image, precision, separation, bass quality, timbres, etc. with lower power not being an issue at all in a medium-sized living room. It really is "can't stop listening" good. As to the DAC in the Marantz, I noticed early on a separate DAC sounded a lot better (I remarked here on this a couple years ago, and someone replied - understandably - that shouldn't be). I'm never buying an AVR again based on brand reputation. And the 15xx slim size, to me, is still much too large. I'm not sold on sound bars and Sonos-type systems. I hope traditional AVR manufacturers come up with some more imaginative, and better performing designs. Or maybe Topping, Loxjie, SMSL et al. will, before they do.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think one thing the chinese have going is the KISS principle... you know what that is

dont try to do too much

do a small portion of what the company is capable of and what the customer expects... because of that you can keep the price low

i only have one singing and dancing box as its my cheapo onkyo atmos 7.2 thing... and it does way too much for my liking

this marantz has the same issue... customer expectation is that it does everything and its not surprising that it doesnt do the basics well

to me i'm quite receptive of something if the price is right

i picked up my Onkyo for like 40% of the rrp and i have no doubt it performs like this marantz.... i would find that unacceptable at $800 for example but for $300??? ehh...

UNow42

Yamaha used to have a similar "slim" form factor AVR, first it was the Yamaha RX-S600, then the RX-S601 replaced that, then the RX-S602 replaced that one. I don't think they have a current comparable model.

They were all very similar in size and connection capability and power to these Marantz receivers.

I like the form factor, but there's no reason they can't perform better.
I'm using a Yamaha RX-S601D (model with DAB digital audio broadcasting instead of AM) since 2016. It's being used for TV only (I use a pair of Genelec 8260 in a separate room for serious music listening) and sometimes some background music from internet radio. It worked without issues so far. The small size was one of the reasons to buy it. Marantz has not been considered because they change the models so often (from NR-1601 to 1609, during the time Yamaha had 3 models 600, 601, 602).

oupee

I had this one. It was the cheapest AVR with preout front L/R!

edit:
Wrong, I had 1506

Last edited:
Top Bottom