• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz NR1200 Stereo Receiver Review

oal

Forum Donor
This is a review and measurements of Marantz NR1200 slim 2-chnannel stereo receiver with network capability (D&M HEOS, AirPlay2, Spotify connect, etc.). Marantz USA sells this in their online store for US$599. I bought mine from a dealer in Tokyo in January 2021 for 62,000JPY.
fig1-NR1200.JPG

fig2-nr1200.JPG

Amir once reviewed NR1510 AVR and concluded that it was not recommended because of its poor performance. The NR1200 is a stereo receiver, not an AVR, although it looks very similar to the NR1510. Does it have similar bad performance? Or, as Amir hoped, has its performance improved? “Let's hope D&M takes this advice and produces more peformant products in the future.”

I used Cosmos ADC and REW for my measurements. My measurement method is described here.

Marantz NR1200 Amplifier Measurements

Let’s start with analog input, 5 Watts into 4 Ohms. Not so good but not so bad as NR1510.
Marantz NR1510 Analog In SINAD: Ch1: 60.305dB / Ch2: 65.140dB (Measured by Amir)
Marantz NR1200 Analog In SINAD: Ch1: 76.2dB / Ch2: 75.0dB
fig3-NR1200-FFT.png

Then, Power vs Distortion. This is interesting: the Power vs Distortion curve usually worsens linearly from maximum to smaller power. However, in the case of the NR1200, it is almost flat from 10W to 100W, around SINAD=79dB. At output power of 10W or less, both THD and THD+N deteriorate due to worsening 3rd Harmonic. The numbers below the graph are at 5W.
fig4-NR1200-4Ohm-Power-Level.png

This curve is similar whether the load is 4 ohms or 8 ohms. Also, there is no difference between analog and COAX inputs. This suggests that performance of the built-in DAC is fine for the amplifier, but this will be verified later. The numbers below the graph are THD+N (inverse of SINAD) at 5W.
fig5-NR1200-Power-THD+N.png

Multitone Analog Input is better than that of the N1510.
fig6-NR1200 Multitone 4Ohm 5W dBr.png

Frequency Response was flat between 20Hz and 20kHz.
fig7-NR1200-FR.png

Marantz NR1200 DAC Measurements

Let's start with test of the DAC subsystem using the pre-out and COAX input with volume adjusted to get 2Vrms out:
fig8-NR1200+3.5dB.jpg

The results were as bad as the performance of the NR1510’s DAC subsystem tested by Amir.
NR1510 HDMI Input / Pre-out SINAD Ch1: 77.587dB (Measured by Amir)
NR1510 HDMI Input / Pre-out SINAD Ch2: 76.724dB (Measured by Amir)
NR1200 COAX Input / Pre-out SINAD Ch1: 78.9dB (HDMI and Toslink performance were as same.)

But the Power vs THD+N measurement with COAX Input showed better performance, why? This is because there is a dependency between the pre-out level and the THD+N of the NR1200. Although an odd specification, the maximum output of the NR1200 is not 0dBFS. The volume is specified from -79dB to +18dB, and a volume of +3.5dB gives a pre-out level of 2Vrms. When the volume is at -1dB, the THD+N of the pre-outs is at its best, -102.6dB. This is not that bad a value.
fig9-NR1200-Gain-THD+N.png
fig10-NR1200-1dB.jpg

Unlike the output of the preamp, I believe the primary use of the NR1200's pre-outs is for output to the subwoofer; when the DAC output is passed to the amplifier within the NR1200, there will be no unnecessary gain control, so there will be no THD+N degradation. But this is just my wishful thinking on my part.

Then, I will discuss the shortcomings of the NR1200 DAC that I found. It is vulnerable to jitter. As long as a good DDC (e.g. SMSL PO100 PRO and HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro) sends the digital signal to the NR1200, there is no problem. However, if the digital signal contains significant jitter, the noise level will increase significantly. N (noise) was -111.9dBFS with the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro COAX output. But N was -93.8dBFS (18dB worse) with Amazon HDMI Audio Extractor, which has a lot of jitter in the SPDIF COAX output.
fig11-Mac-Extractor-NR1200-COAX.jpg

Commentary and Conclusion

The performance of the NR1200 seems to be somewhat better than the NR1510 (SINAD 75 vs 65). I have the NR1200 in my living room with my family listening to FM radio, TV music programs, SVOD, Spotify. For such use, the NR1200 is easy to use and there are few complaints about the sound quality.

As far as usability is concerned, finding the desired local FLAC file on the NAS can be very time consuming. (Even using the HEOS app.) So, I connect Raspberry Pi based Allo Boss2 Player to my NR1200 Analog Input to play local music files.

Audiophiles will complain about the NR1200 for two reasons:
  1. SINAD worsens at normal listening volume. (SNAD = 67dB at 1W into 4Ohm)
  2. Bult-in DAC is vulnerable to jitter.
I use a better DAC and an amp in my own room. ;)

Finally, compare THD+N vs Level with other amplifiers. One is the DENON PMA-800NE, also a D&M Class-AB amp; the other is the Aiyima A07, a less expensive Class-D amp. The numbers below the graph are THD+N (inverse of SINAD) at 1W. I leave it to each of you to decide whether it is usable as a stereo receiver.
fig12-THD+N-Level.png

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
sad that this review did not get more attention

its sister the NR1510 whatever got lambasted and sad to say, the apple doesnt fall far from the tree

this unit, the NR1200 was discussed by some of us at my work because someone had the PM7000 and others had the older PM6000 series and it seems Marantz has better luck on their integrateds than their quasi stereo AVRs.

Further it seems this unit doesnt have the ability to set low end cutoff on the main speakers??? although this may be firmware fixed now

in the US this can be passable at say $400? but outside where Marantz think that even their low end stuff is now 'luxury goods' these units can go for multiples of that and how can you justify it???

ironically we have a Denon Marantz refurb outfit and we see a lot of the NR series here.

OP
oal

oal

Forum Donor
Further it seems this unit doesnt have the ability to set low end cutoff on the main speakers??? although this may be firmware fixed now
Oh, I didn't realize that because I don't have a subwoofer. You are right. NR1200 has an low-pass filter setting for the subwoofer (pre-out), but it doesn't cut off the bass from the main speakers.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, I also did not see this post before, flew under the radar. I really appreciate more people with Cosmos ADC doing measurements by themselves.

@oal I assume around 250W per channel, both channels driven, at 1% THD+N into 4 ohms?

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and measurements of Marantz NR1200 slim 2-chnannel stereo receiver with network capability (D&M HEOS, AirPlay2, Spotify connect, etc.). Marantz USA sells this in their online store for US$599. I bought mine from a dealer in Tokyo in January 2021 for 62,000JPY.
View attachment 285419
View attachment 285420
Amir once reviewed NR1510 AVR and concluded that it was not recommended because of its poor performance. The NR1200 is a stereo receiver, not an AVR, although it looks very similar to the NR1510. Does it have similar bad performance? Or, as Amir hoped, has its performance improved? “Let's hope D&M takes this advice and produces more peformant products in the future.”

I used Cosmos ADC and REW for my measurements. My measurement method is described here.

Marantz NR1200 Amplifier Measurements

Let’s start with analog input, 5 Watts into 4 Ohms. Not so good but not so bad as NR1510.
Marantz NR1510 Analog In SINAD: Ch1: 60.305dB / Ch2: 65.140dB (Measured by Amir)
Marantz NR1200 Analog In SINAD: Ch1: 76.2dB / Ch2: 75.0dB
View attachment 285422
Then, Power vs Distortion. This is interesting: the Power vs Distortion curve usually worsens linearly from maximum to smaller power. However, in the case of the NR1200, it is almost flat from 10W to 100W, around SINAD=79dB. At output power of 10W or less, both THD and THD+N deteriorate due to worsening 3rd Harmonic. The numbers below the graph are at 5W.
View attachment 285423
This curve is similar whether the load is 4 ohms or 8 ohms. Also, there is no difference between analog and COAX inputs. This suggests that performance of the built-in DAC is fine for the amplifier, but this will be verified later. The numbers below the graph are THD+N (inverse of SINAD) at 5W.
View attachment 285424
Multitone Analog Input is better than that of the N1510.
View attachment 285425
Frequency Response was flat between 20Hz and 20kHz.
View attachment 285426

Marantz NR1200 DAC Measurements

Let's start with test of the DAC subsystem using the pre-out and COAX input with volume adjusted to get 2Vrms out:
View attachment 285427
The results were as bad as the performance of the NR1510’s DAC subsystem tested by Amir.
NR1510 HDMI Input / Pre-out SINAD Ch1: 77.587dB (Measured by Amir)
NR1510 HDMI Input / Pre-out SINAD Ch2: 76.724dB (Measured by Amir)
NR1200 COAX Input / Pre-out SINAD Ch1: 78.9dB (HDMI and Toslink performance were as same.)

But the Power vs THD+N measurement with COAX Input showed better performance, why? This is because there is a dependency between the pre-out level and the THD+N of the NR1200. Although an odd specification, the maximum output of the NR1200 is not 0dBFS. The volume is specified from -79dB to +18dB, and a volume of +3.5dB gives a pre-out level of 2Vrms. When the volume is at -1dB, the THD+N of the pre-outs is at its best, -102.6dB. This is not that bad a value.View attachment 285428View attachment 285429
Unlike the output of the preamp, I believe the primary use of the NR1200's pre-outs is for output to the subwoofer; when the DAC output is passed to the amplifier within the NR1200, there will be no unnecessary gain control, so there will be no THD+N degradation. But this is just my wishful thinking on my part.

Then, I will discuss the shortcomings of the NR1200 DAC that I found. It is vulnerable to jitter. As long as a good DDC (e.g. SMSL PO100 PRO and HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro) sends the digital signal to the NR1200, there is no problem. However, if the digital signal contains significant jitter, the noise level will increase significantly. N (noise) was -111.9dBFS with the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro COAX output. But N was -93.8dBFS (18dB worse) with Amazon HDMI Audio Extractor, which has a lot of jitter in the SPDIF COAX output.
View attachment 285430

Commentary and Conclusion

The performance of the NR1200 seems to be somewhat better than the NR1510 (SINAD 75 vs 65). I have the NR1200 in my living room with my family listening to FM radio, TV music programs, SVOD, Spotify. For such use, the NR1200 is easy to use and there are few complaints about the sound quality.

As far as usability is concerned, finding the desired local FLAC file on the NAS can be very time consuming. (Even using the HEOS app.) So, I connect Raspberry Pi based Allo Boss2 Player to my NR1200 Analog Input to play local music files.

Audiophiles will complain about the NR1200 for two reasons:
  1. SINAD worsens at normal listening volume. (SNAD = 67dB at 1W into 4Ohm)
  2. Bult-in DAC is vulnerable to jitter.
I use a better DAC and an amp in my own room. ;)

Finally, compare THD+N vs Level with other amplifiers. One is the DENON PMA-800NE, also a D&M Class-AB amp; the other is the Aiyima A07, a less expensive Class-D amp. The numbers below the graph are THD+N (inverse of SINAD) at 1W. I leave it to each of you to decide whether it is usable as a stereo receiver.
View attachment 285431

So now we have an explanation to why Amirs measurements show so bad values on pre-out for the NR1510. I got really the same strange results with much lower THD with both the NR1710 and NR1604, which was not consistent with Amirs measurements of the 1510.

Reactions: oal

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think the older pm8000 would bench a lot better since its not doing AVR

the newer PM7000n w/ network support would be interesting to compare because that still lacks AVR but has ethernet

but i reckon these will all be far from sota given this is marantz

OP
oal

oal

Forum Donor
@oal I assume around 250W per channel, both channels driven, at 1% THD+N into 4 ohms?
Less than 250W. 1% (0.01 or -40dB) is less than 200W, about 195W in the above graph (Power vs THD+N @4Ω).
Also, sorry but I did not mention that I drove only 1 channel of theese amplifiers.
If I drive both channles of NR1200, it will be 135W at 1% THD+N into 4 ohms.
NR1200-4Ohm.png

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a question. In the first graph do you set input to 0 dBSF or 2 Vrms and adjust volume to get 5W? Since the amps seem to suffer from overdriving output/volume setting (?)I wonder if the odd distortion patterns looks different at other volume settings (with power amp).

Last edited:
OP
oal

oal

Forum Donor
Just a question. In the first graph do you set input to 0 dBSF or 2 Vrms and adjust volume to get 5W? Since the amps seem to suffer from overdriving output/volume setting (?)I wonder if the odd distortion patterns looks different at other volume settings (with power amp).
You made a good point. Yes, in the first graph, I set input from DAC to 0dBFS (2Vrms) and adjusted volume of NR1200 to get 5W. I have compared different volume levels of the power amp at the same 5W. (same output voltage - 4.47Vrms)
NR1200 -20dB / DAC 0dBFS / THD+N = -75.3dB
NR1200 -10dB / DAC -10dBFS / THD+N = -74.4dB
NR1200 -1dB / DAC -19dBFS / THD+N = -71.9dB
NR1200 +4dB / DAC -24dBFS / THD+N = -68.3dB
As the result, THDs were almost same (-78dB) but as the volume of the power amplifier was increased, the noise floor increased.

NR1200-4Ohm-5W.png

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You made a good point. Yes, in the first graph, I set input from DAC to 0dBFS (2Vrms) and adjusted volume of NR1200 to get 5W. I have compared different volume levels of the power amp at the same 5W. (same output voltage - 4.47Vrms)
NR1200 -20dB / DAC 0dBFS / THD+N = -75.3dB
NR1200 -10dB / DAC -10dBFS / THD+N = -74.4dB
NR1200 -1dB / DAC -19dBFS / THD+N = -71.9dB
NR1200 +4dB / DAC -24dBFS / THD+N = -68.3dB
As the result, THDs were almost same (-78dB) but as the volume of the power amplifier was increased, the noise floor increased.

View attachment 293220
Thanks for this,

BTW, I have ordered the Cosmos grade B and Topping D10S, and 4x1 ohm 50W resistors and will do some additional measurements according to your setup (I have the NR1506 and NR1710). My Transit DAC, while good for its time, is too poor to get high resolution results.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I didn't realize that because I don't have a subwoofer. You are right. NR1200 has an low-pass filter setting for the subwoofer (pre-out), but it doesn't cut off the bass from the main speakers.

Can the subwoofer pre out be pinged as a separate channel such that it can be used in truly 2.1 using Dirac Live PC standalone version? I mean just like using say the 1510, with Audyssey such that the sub out will get the calibration sweep tone?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like no one has tried using the NR1200 with REQ/RC.:D It is a pity if such an otherwise very versatile 2 channel device cannot actually function as 2.1 with bass management/Room correction.

PS: I posted the same question on the other NR1200 thread months ago too, no response either. I didn't contact Marantz support yet, as I found their first line support not very useful on questions that go a little beyond what the user manuals cover and were reluctant to pursue such questions further with their level 2 (if they even have such a thing). I guess I should try though.

OP
oal

oal

Forum Donor
Can the subwoofer pre out be pinged as a separate channel such that it can be used in truly 2.1 using Dirac Live PC standalone version? I mean just like using say the 1510, with Audyssey such that the sub out will get the calibration sweep tone?
I don't know if I understand your question correctly, but I don't think the NR1200 subwoofer pre-outs are independent of the front channels. I think they basically output same signal as front channels’ but can set low pass filter (40Hz - 250Hz) & can adjust level (+/- 12dB).

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if I understand your question correctly, but I don't think the NR1200 subwoofer pre-outs are independent of the front channels. I think they basically output same signal as front channels’ but can set low pass filter (40Hz - 250Hz) & can adjust level (+/- 12dB).
Thanks, I mean via hdmi, would it behaves like an avr such as the NR1510 so that if I use DLBC with it, DLBC will be able to recognize the sub as an independent channel? So I think you already answered my question and your answer is no, if the subout would output the same signal as the L/R channels.

I thought there is a chance that it might be an independent channel like avrs, because it has it's own volume control and dac for the subout.

If you are right, then it is a pity that D+M/Masimo came so close to having a real 2.1 receiver and wouldn't take that last step. And if they did, they would have the only real 2.1 avr on the market.

OP
oal

oal

Forum Donor
So I think you already answered my question and your answer is no, if the subout would output the same signal as the L/R channels.
You are right, my answer is no. Though NR1200 has volume control for subout, its settings are in the Subwoofer Option menu. Because NR1200 HDMI input supports only 2ch-PCM, there is no way to control subwoofer volume dynamically via HDMI, unfortunately.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I missed this. Are you grounding the Marantz to the E1DA? If not, run a ground wire from the ground lug of your Marantz to the XLR pin 1 (right most). That may reduce the 50 Hz noise you are seeing in the first graph.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are right, my answer is no. Though NR1200 has volume control for subout, its settings are in the Subwoofer Option menu. Because NR1200 HDMI input supports only 2ch-PCM, there is no way to control subwoofer volume dynamically via HDMI, unfortunately.
Makes sense, again, too bad they didn't go that one extra step. If they do that one day, they will likely add Audyssey, or Dirac, because if they implement a real 2.1 receiver, there would be no reason not to include room correction feature.

I wonder why no avr manufacturers has come up with the idea yet.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder why no avr manufacturers has come up with the idea yet.

It must not have sold well. I have one that works well for its intended use

OP
oal

oal

Forum Donor
I missed this. Are you grounding the Marantz to the E1DA? If not, run a ground wire from the ground lug of your Marantz to the XLR pin 1 (right most). That may reduce the 50 Hz noise you are seeing in the first graph.
Thanks for the advice. But I don't use XLR to measure analog amplifiers. Rather I use the 2.5mm 43Vrms AUX for Class-AB amplifiers like NR1200.
Here is my measurement method:
https://www.openaudiolab.com/measuring-amps/

Top Bottom