• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
VCAD has an enclosure simulator based on T/S parameters. quite straight forward if you ask me.
May I have a link for it please?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've installed VituixCAD2 but unless I am wrong it doesn't come with a library of drivers. You can create one but the argument I was making is it is not easy to search all drivers on the market one by one.

Also, it is an unnecessarily complex application for the simple job I have tried to explain, which basically finding the suitability of a drive unit to a given enclosure.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was searching as "VCAD" and failing. I found it now. Many thanks.
Yep - VituixCAD is exactly what you want, specifically the "enclosure" section in tools. VCAD is leading the way in complete speaker design software imo, REW for measurements.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've installed VituixCAD2 but unless I am wrong it doesn't come with a library of drivers. You can create one but the argument I was making is it is not easy to search all drivers on the market one by one.

Also, it is an unnecessarily complex application for the simple job I have tried to explain, which basically finding the suitability of a drive unit to a given enclosure.

I think if such a program exists you would be unemployed ;).

Aside from having to enter the T/S manually if it's not included in the list already, I think it does exactly what you want it to do, no?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@ctrl

Could you please show how the tuning will be if the design was sealed? I typically don't like anything in the rear of my speakers and it would be one thing less to do when I build the speaker.

I'm hoping the response would be flat to 80Hz (or at least the LF roll-off would be @80Hz) .

We considered a sealed box early in the design and the woofer was not designed for it. It needs a really small box and this causes some other ugliness. I use Bassbox Pro as it has better damping sims than VCAD. The box volume would be less than half of the PR design.

This is discussed earlier in this thread.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if such a program exists you would be unemployed ;).

Aside from having to enter the T/S manually if it's not included in the list already, I think it does exactly what you want it to do, no?
I’m failing to explain what I am looking. I am looking for a driver database, where simple parameters including TS values that is attached to a simple calculator. It’s to be a tool to find suitable drivers for an enclosure.

Enter your enclosure volume and decide closed or ported. The calculator will plot the FR and show the f3 for the selected driver. This will help one to eliminate the drivers that are not suitable in your enclosure size.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking for a driver database
I'm not sure whether a curated Database exists out there similar to other industries, perhaps other members may chime in.
Enter your enclosure volume and decide closed or ported. The calculator will plot the FR and show the f3 for the selected driver. This will help one to eliminate the drivers that are not suitable in your enclosure size.

you can do that VCAD, as long as you feed it T/S parameters yourself. but i guess I already conveyed that message few posts ago.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure whether a curated Database exists out there similar to other industries, perhaps other members may chime in.
I doesn‘t need to be curated just the data of the basic parameters of each driver. As there are various databases linked to posts here I was hoping one to exist.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m failing to explain what I am looking. I am looking for a driver database, where simple parameters including TS values that is attached to a simple calculator. It’s to be a tool to find suitable drivers for an enclosure.

For a quick check, I use an IOS app called Speaker Box Lite.

VCAD has a fair number of drivers, but to see them fully, you need to check the online data box in the Enclosure calculator.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you please show how the tuning will be if the design was sealed?...
I'm hoping the response would be flat to 80Hz (or at least the LF roll-off would be @80Hz) .

The cabinet volume is, of course, much too large. But better that way than the other way around. If necessary you can reduce the volume by fixing a styrofoam cuboid, a brick, Head of neighbor's dog,... inside the enclosure.

With 15L internal volume the frequency response below is to be expected. The dashed curves represent possible filter targets at 80Hz - BU12dB@80Hz and LR24dB@80Hz.
1633470618308.png

However, the whole thing only makes sense if you plan to use an active speaker. As a passive speaker it will not work with this driver.
As I said, you can still adjust the volume if necessary, I have simulated it here with 15L further.

Already one simple filter (BU18dB@75Hz) and you can almost achieve an ideal LR24dB filter slope at 80Hz. The remaining correction with PEQ and, or cabinet volume reduction.
1633471337657.png

At a crossover frequency of 80Hz, the Xmax of the woofer no longer plays a role. Before this limit is reached, the woofer gets thermal problems.
1633471817731.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a quick check, I use an IOS app called Speaker Box Lite.

VCAD has a fair number of drivers, but to see them fully, you need to check the online data box in the Enclosure calculator.
I'll check the iOS app. Meanwhile, I find the online switch and there are indeed a lot of drivers. Thank you for your help.

dwkdnvr

I doesn‘t need to be curated just the data of the basic parameters of each driver. As there are various databases linked to posts here I was hoping one to exist.
WinISD has generally been the standard tool used for subwoofer modelling, and there are various collections of drivers out there. I'm not sure about more recent drivers like the Purifi though. WinISD has a decent data entry process though- it applies consistency checks as-you-go, and it's a relatively painless process to enter a new driver from the manufacturer data sheets.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I can see by a quick look both VCAD and WinISD have decent size databases. However, neither is suitable to my purpose, which is to quickly "scroll through" drivers (preferably with min-max diameter and power limits), eliminate the unsuitable ones and feed the suitable ones to a list (favourites). This will allow the designer to then use the secondary criteria to reduce the list even further (like price, availability, diameter, power handling, etc.) This will make the life of DIY speaker builder much more easier than having to select each driver one by one and relying on memory. In short I'm looking for a tool that helps me to select drivers suitable for my enclosure.

Meanwhile, Speaker Box Lite seems to have range selection for various criteria. I will spend more time on this and report. If it interests me enough I will create a new thread in order not to pollute this thread further.

Thank you for helping this 71 year old ex-speaker manufacturer who has not been involved with speaker design since mid 90s. :)

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is excellent as a database. All it needs is the following.

Enclosure volume Vb entry field
Enclosure type: sealed/ported selection
Min f3 frequency - Max f3 frequency range slider
Calculate and show the suitable drivers button

I will email the database owner to find out if they are interested.

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The cabinet volume is, of course, much too large. But better that way than the other way around. If necessary you can reduce the volume by fixing a styrofoam cuboid, a brick, Head of neighbor's dog,... inside the enclosure.

With 15L internal volume the frequency response below is to be expected. The dashed curves represent possible filter targets at 80Hz - BU12dB@80Hz and LR24dB@80Hz.
View attachment 157399

However, the whole thing only makes sense if you plan to use an active speaker. As a passive speaker it will not work with this driver.
As I said, you can still adjust the volume if necessary, I have simulated it here with 15L further.

Already one simple filter (BU18dB@75Hz) and you can almost achieve an ideal LR24dB filter slope at 80Hz. The remaining correction with PEQ and, or cabinet volume reduction.
View attachment 157402

At a crossover frequency of 80Hz, the Xmax of the woofer no longer plays a role. Before this limit is reached, the woofer gets thermal problems.
View attachment 157403

Trouble with the neighbor's dog? :eek:

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom