• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great DIY speaker builds (for newbies) to learn about design?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just realized I forgot to mention John Krutke’s ZA5 series! The MT was the first DIY speaker I built for ASR. Along with being fairly inexpensive, John demonstrated great extensibility with the overall design and the drivers are reasonably inexpensive.

The ZA5 is an older design but has held up well. Only downside for beginners is the lack of precut cabinet. Also a quick check reveals the tweeter may no longer be available. :oops:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never seen a beginner's guide to designing active speakers. I wonder if it exists. Everything I've seen online is vague hand-waving about using standard crossover shapes, with no mention of baffle step, driver EQ etc.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never seen a beginner's guide to designing active speakers. I wonder if it exists. Everything I've seen online is vague hand-waving about using standard crossover shapes, with no mention of baffle step, driver EQ etc.
Ofc, in the end, there is a lot in common with passive design...

As I spent more time with active, I realized that a hybrid approach is a good compromise. One key difference is the design flexibility you get with an active crossover. While some of the sim tools are great, I really enjoying active crossover prototyping as you can quickly measure and listen to a potential design modification. Also, with active, there is less need to waste power padding down the higher frequency drivers. Baffle step is a shared issue, but active gain allows the designer to approach compensation differently. The main challenge with active is all the wiring - the hybrid approach helps reduce wiring and protects tweeters better too.

If someone does not get there first, I plan to document an active Directiva design. One challenge is the flexibility. I may make several changes per hour while designing a crossover. This will need to be approached as a more disciplined overall process than I tend to do currently.;) The minidsp application notes offer an approach, but is very basic. Am sure a more experienced designer (not me) would be better able to articulate.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ofc, in the end, there is a lot in common with passive design...
Yes, exactly. It's that point I stress to beginners at active: passive filters have baffle step and EQ baked in. It's up to you to put those functions in the active realization.

gab

Don't know if it qualifies for "beginner's guide" but Chapter 19 (An Active Crossover Design) of Douglas Self's book "The Design Of Active Crossovers" shows a generic 3 way example. I have the 2011 release. I believe there is an updated version as well.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know if it qualifies for "beginner's guide" but Chapter 19 (An Active Crossover Design) of Douglas Self's book "The Design Of Active Crossovers" shows a generic 3 way example. I have the 2011 release. I believe there is an updated version as well.
Is it just the crossover filter sections? I've never seen baffle step and individual driver EQ in analog circuits like that. Could be done, I guess.

D!sco

I would go as far as saying an active crossover is better for beginners because it allows them to play with and understand what it’s doing. A good one will continue to be useful long after the original speaker, as well.

gab

Is it just the crossover filter sections? I've never seen baffle step and individual driver EQ in analog circuits like that. Could be done, I guess.
fpitas - It's just a generic active crossover design example. It does not specify any drivers, nor integrate any driver responses into the filter response. Ditto equalization of drivers. So it does not provide a complete design. It does attempt to cover the various design principles discussed throughout the book.

It's a pretty good active crossover reference book to have on the bookshelf IMO.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
fpitas - It's just a generic active crossover design example. It does not specify any drivers, nor integrate any driver responses into the filter response. Ditto equalization of drivers. So it does not provide a complete design. It does attempt to cover the various design principles discussed throughout the book.

It's a pretty good active crossover reference book to have on the bookshelf IMO.
I'm sure it is. I decided to just go DSP, and never looked back.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For those out there who want an active analog crossover, Rod Elliott offers a nice PCB:

As I said though, that only gets you partway to a good sounding speaker.

Top Bottom