• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Directiva Project

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: 617

hex168

Could this be an interesting alternative? It seems interesting from an innovation perspective:

It can be obtained in canada for $178: https://www.solen.ca/en/products/wom165_vms-8
I saw some not-too-great third party measurements on that one on Diyaudio. It might clear up enough using 10 degrees at the design axis, or not.

An interesting alternative (to me at least) is replacing the DXT with a screw-thread compression driver (Lavoce? PRV?) on a JBL-clone waveguide (per MTG the Dayton version has a problem) that has excellent directivity. Way too wide for the Denovo box, but since that is no longer a consideration...

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I mentioned, I expect forum feedback, but for the initial round will be limiting woofer choices to the 4 I already have on hand. If for some reason, none of them work out, then will consider others. One is already borderline as it requires a deeper, smaller cutout than the others so will be the last of the current options.

Last edited:

morpheusX

I saw some not-too-great third party measurements on that one on Diyaudio. It might clear up enough using 10 degrees at the design axis, or not.

These are not the same, the link you mentioned is a coaxial driver (Cox165_vPA), not the one i mentioned (Wom165_vms)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, will look into this further but pretty much already have my choices lined up for this round.
Rick, out of respect for you I will avoid back seat driving and say I look forward to seeing what you devise.

hex168

These are not the same, the link you mentioned is a coaxial driver (Cox165_vPA), not the one i mentioned (Wom165_vms)
Thank you. I did not see the WOM on Solen' s site. I'll look again.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I can tell you all are chomping at the bit, here is the list of woofer candidates:
  1. Dayton SIG180-4
  2. WaveCor WF182BD10
  3. Dayton RS180P-4
  4. SB17NRX2C35-8 or ?
#4 is not my preferred SB driver but is a leftover from my Babgy Mandolin build. The SIG180 is the promising value contender. The WaveCor is a more proven driver but can be pricey (notably in EU). I got a good deal on them while PE had them in stock. The Dayton RS180P was bought for another purpose but is more of a compromise between the first 2. As I alluded the SB is also an odd size and would require a different baffle cutout. Other SBs have the same issue as far as I know.

Just ordered the SIG180s and they are scheduled to be here before the end of the week. All drivers were purchased by me so am hoping not to have to spend more!

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rick, out of respect for you I will avoid back seat driving and say I look forward to seeing what you devise.

Thanks, but do not expect others to hold back and you may have valuable insights.

As I mentioned, am funding this myself, so expect my vote to count heavily!

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, but do not expect others to hold back and you may have valuable insights.

As I mentioned, am funding this myself, so expect my vote to count heavily!
Dayton paper woofers have good efficiency and work well in sealed enclosures iirc. Extended.

Dayton signature is a good option but EU people might be less happy. Wavecor is poor value and tend to breakup in the style of the revelators, not an issue if directivity is matched and you use an lr4.

SB or Satori might be good options. The SB is ubiquitous for a reason.

I like the Sig180, I wasn't aware of this line, and dayton always offers great value. Surprisingly efficient and decent fs, very hard to beat for the money. It does present a challenge insofar as finding a worthy tweeter that doesn't cost three times as much.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a sealed bookshelf I really like the Tang Band W5 1865. Currently running a pair in my D.I.Y build from year's ago now with Fountek Neo CD2's.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

reasonable price
good looking chart and sensitivity

have one, think it was used by Selah in his Integrity 3-way. Just not considering tweeters just yet. If I did, likely would use something with an integrated waveguide.

Last edited:
Reactions: 617
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a sealed bookshelf I really like the Tang Band W5 1865. Currently running a pair in my D.I.Y build from year's ago now with Fountek Neo CD2's.

thanks, but too small and PE has discontinued.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want me to consider your proposed driver, need more justification. This is ASR after all.

For the woofer, it has to be versatile enough to be used sealed or vented/pr. Have posted my candidates, so should be comparable to one of them. Unless you plan to donate one, need to show it is good enough for me to spend money on yet another driver.

Thanks!

D!sco

An interesting alternative (to me at least) is replacing the DXT with a screw-thread compression driver (Lavoce? PRV?) on a JBL-clone waveguide (per MTG the Dayton version has a problem) that has excellent directivity. Way too wide for the Denovo box, but since that is no longer a consideration...

Dunno that you’re going to get anyone else to build this, but I know I’d watch you try.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

colombiamgold

maeby a fast/waw with full rage like alpair 5 or chp50, cheap coaxial like cx120 or omni cx 3.1...plus a 8 woofer.. :p

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, but no. Whatever might be considered needs to be at least as good as the Seas DXT. Specifically, no custom waveguides. Am trying to make this one even simpler than r1.
Honestly waveguide tweeters are still slim pickings. I'd work backwards from the hf unit. Wavecor makes a hornish one but it probably costs as much as the dxt.

Alternatively, a two way with a big bmr might be fun.

Or you could use the new satori coaxial. Expensive, but you get a lot for your money

Top Bottom