• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The early look is missing :p

Thanks! Hopefully better now.

Btw, was reading through some of the earlier parts of this thread and you commented on how to properly clear the minidsp config. Wish I would have remembered as it appears it happened to me recently. Thanks for trying. :cool:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Hopefully better now.

Btw, was reading through some of the earlier parts of this thread and you commented on how to properly clear the minidsp config. Wish I would have remembered as it appears it happened to me recently. Thanks for trying. :cool:
Why do I feel so emotional about this although I didn't do any actual effort to make it.

crying-britney-spears.gif

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok folks, here is the plan...

Amir has agreed that Directiva r1 is a "major accomplishment" and he will be completing his usual review process and posting. Since we have kept you waiting, here is an early look at the results...
View attachment 156990

Barring any changes based on Amir's listening tests, I will be posting this crossover configuration to the build thread.

Thanks to all who shared their expertise to get us here, but notably to @ctrl for his outstanding contributions to Directiva's design and @amirm for his support and Klippel measurements!

As Directiva was conceived as an open project, we hope to see the r1 speaker design refined and improved over time. As some of you know, I would like to do a larger Directiva speaker, but still need to wrap up the first one! Notably, the build thread as it will serve as the r1 project documentation.

Cheers,

Rick
nodding-yes.gif

Legends. Looking forward to the final crossover details and a passive version.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Ok folks, here is the plan...

Amir has deemed that Directiva r1 is a "major accomplishment" and he will be completing his usual review process and posting. Since we have kept you waiting, here is an early look at the results...
View attachment 156990

Barring any changes based on Amir's listening tests, I will be posting this crossover configuration to the build thread.

Thanks to all who shared their expertise to get us here, but notably to @ctrl for his outstanding contributions to Directiva's design and @amirm for his support and Klippel measurements!

As Directiva was conceived as an open project, we hope to see the r1 speaker design refined and improved over time. As some of you know, I would like to do a larger Directiva speaker, but still need to wrap up the first one! Notably, the build thread as it will serve as the r1 project documentation.

Cheers,

Rick
Very impressive!

McFly

Rick - Earlier you tiptoed around a possible doubling of the passive (SB 5x8) radiators, would you target a box vol. of 22L? would this be necessary for higher SPL at lower freq? (not more extension) to avoid the passives reaching xmech?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Is possible make a cheap mini blades? using only 2 woofers? 1 opposed woofer and a frontal coaxial

alex-z

Would it be more appropriate to start a new thread for possible improvements, or keep them in the v1 thread?

Because having a look through the review, a possible area to target for easy improvement is the cabinet design.

For example, switching to steel threaded rods for higher bracing stiffness, and possibly adding bitumen pad for a constrained layer damping setup.

Also worth investigating swapping the sonic barrier material for a multi-layer absorber in the centre of the cabinet, where velocity is highest, and therefore most practical for porous absorption. Not to say that sonic barrier isn't performing well, but all the comparisons of stuffing material seem to be focused on lining the walls which doesn't make a ton of sense.

Last edited:

aCuria

Can someone explain what the "open source streamer" part is supposed to mean?

Is it supposed to be a bluetooth speaker or something?

Presently42

Can someone explain what the "open source streamer" part is supposed to mean?

Last edited:

xarkkon

I don't know how I missed almost 40 pages of awesome forum content, but awesome work @Rick Sykora and @ctrl ! Time to start reading up and see if I can put together one myself at some point :)

Biblob

What did you do for the filling of the cabinet @Rick Sykora ? (what material, where, how much etc.)
And did you do any modifications to the Denovo flat-pack?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What did you do for the filling of the cabinet @Rick Sykora ? (what material, where, how much etc.)
And did you do any modifications to the Denovo flat-pack?

The cabinet is lined with 3/4" Sonic Barrier and a small amount of Acousta-Stuf is filling the middle.

The cabinet brace is also modified as part of it is cut away for the passive radiator.

See the build thread for details...

Last edited:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, how do these sound compare to a Revel m105/6/M126be or Genelec 8341 (considering design goals around smoothness and directivity were similar)?

Also, congrats to Rick, Amir, and everyone involved in the development and production of this design.

chych7

So, how do these sound compare to a Revel m105/6/M126be or Genelec 8341 (considering design goals around smoothness and directivity were similar)?

Also, congrats to Rick, Amir, and everyone involved in the development and production of this design.

Throw in some double blind tests please! Measurements are great and all but subjective assessments are important too.

Biblob

May I suggest you post links in the first post of every R1 thread so people can easily find the relevant thread regarding questions etc. Including myself hehe.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@ctrl

Could you please show how the tuning will be if the design was sealed? I typically don't like anything in the rear of my speakers and it would be one thing less to do when I build the speaker.

I'm hoping the response would be flat to 80Hz (or at least the LF roll-off would be @80Hz) .

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@ctrl

Could you please show how the tuning will be if the design was sealed? I typically don't like anything in the rear of my speakers and it would be one thing less to do when I build the speaker.

I'm hoping the response would be flat to 80Hz (or at least the LF roll-off would be @80Hz) .
I have question related to this one. I am fully conversed with cabinet design (as a commercial speaker designer) but I wondered if there is a website or a simple program that has a database of the drive units on the market and calculates the expected low frequency response guide of the speaker for vented and closed box cases. There are calculators using the TS parameters and outputs the f3 and possibly the FR plot (and one can use a calculator to do that) but it is a long process to look up the TS parameters and calculate each driver one by one.

A simple page where there is a drop down menu of drive units with a search function and the enclosure volume field. Select vented or closed box and see the FR plot. Wouldn't it be nice?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have question related to this one. I am fully conversed with cabinet design (as a commercial speaker designer) but I wondered if there is a website or a simple program that has a database of the drive units on the market and calculates the expected low frequency response guide of the speaker for vented and closed box cases. There are calculators using the TS parameters and outputs the f3 and possibly the FR plot (and one can use a calculator to do that) but it is a long process to look up the TS parameters and calculate each driver one by one.

A simple page where there is a drop down menu of drive units with a search function and the enclosure volume field. Select vented or closed box and see the FR plot. Wouldn't it be nice?
VCAD has an enclosure simulator based on T/S parameters. quite straight forward if you ask me.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May I suggest you post links in the first post of every R1 thread so people can easily find the relevant thread regarding questions etc. Including myself hehe.

Thanks, concur on better org of threads. All are now pinned on DIY and build thread refs the review. :cool:

Top Bottom