• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ask that we please keep the off-topic discussions (not Directiva) to other threads please as this one is rather long already. Thanks!

I did give the r2 sealed protos a quick listen this morning and like what I heard so far. Not sure what a passive version might look like as would need bigger cabinet to fit the crossover and redesign it without having the advantage of being able to add filters with gain.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Directiva fans,

After a reshuffle of task assignments, am pleased to announce that r2 work has resumed. I have installed the slotted sides on the original prototype, flashed the minidsp and loaded it with our latest active crossover. I am doing some initial check out over the weekend and then will ship to another team member with access to professional measuring equipment to (hopefully) finalize.

Thank you for your patience and plan to post my findings over this weekend.

Kind regards,

Rick

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As promised, I have first round of measurements with r2.

Since it has been a while, minidsp has new software and firmware and so took some time to update, test and then load the prototype crossover design. Initial measurements and the project are posted on the r2 prototype thread.

Behrend

Forum Donor

mx2

Getting back to the Directiva journey...

After some more iterations that were trying to use the Denovo cabinet and tradeoffs with the bracing and other extensive modifications, @ctrl proposed a new cabinet. Now known as version 8, it reminded me of the Salk Veritas HT1 (which I happen to like and so we progressed with it). One of the primary questions was about beveling and whether the top of the front baffle needed to be beveled.
View attachment 112921View attachment 112923
View attachment 112924View attachment 112925

If you look at the frequency range of 2-5kHz and compare the versions, you will see that version 9 (top edge beveled) has slightly wider radiation. While this difference is slight, would not have expected the result. Since it is better and a bit less work, the vote goes to version 8.

A couple of side comments. Small differences are a good sign as they suggest you are getting towards a point of diminishing returns. The other note is a shout out to @ctrl for getting us this far this fast. Between expending his effort and computer time, we are much further along than if I had to build and measure all these alternative designs. If that were the case, you likely would not have heard from me until next year and/or would have a less optimal design! :D

@Rick Sykora thanks for starting this awesome thread. Lots of inspiration! I'm really thinking about building the version 8 cabinet. Do you happen to still have the cabinet dimensions? Don't have a good measuring setup here so let's see how this goes :D

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Rick Sykora thanks for starting this awesome thread. Lots of inspiration! I'm really thinking about building the version 8 cabinet. Do you happen to still have the cabinet dimensions? Don't have a good measuring setup here so let's see how this goes :D

Thanks, looked for the drawing and have not found yet. One key computer has a disk problem and am trying to recover. Give me a couple of days.

If not, the design is comparable to r2 but with the larger woofer. Should be able to reproduce if I cannot find.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm really thinking about building the version 8 cabinet. Do you happen to still have the cabinet dimensions?

These data come directly from the simulation software and are tight. So, you may need to add a millimeter or two here and there.

1710602862390.png 1710602684983.png

// enclosure dimension in mm
widthTop = 135
widthBottom = 240
heightNarrowStart = 200 (see sketch)
height = 406
depth = 260
rounding 25

// driver positions in mm
pos=350
hWoofer = pos-145
hTweeter = pos

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @ctrl, looks as though I never built v8 and so yours are the only drawings. Cannot boot the drive but can access all the files and did not find any other drawings.

mx2

These data come directly from the simulation software and are tight. So, you may need to add a millimeter or two here and there.

View attachment 356849 View attachment 356848

// enclosure dimension in mm
widthTop = 135
widthBottom = 240
heightNarrowStart = 200 (see sketch)
height = 406
depth = 260
rounding 25

// driver positions in mm
pos=350
hWoofer = pos-145
hTweeter = pos
Thanks @ctrl, looks as though I never built v8 and so yours are the only drawings. Cannot boot the drive but can access all the files and did not find any other drawings.

This is great - thank you both!!

Let's see how it goes...at the rate I work on projects, the next update might be in 5 years :D

Top Bottom